+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 7/24 LCS Show Discussion

FORT Fan

Re: 7/24 LCS Show Discussion

Watched the show the last two weeks, and although I didn't vote...I'm rooting for Iliza. I'm with America with my underdog support. Plus she's already won two weeks in a row. she's worked to get there whereas a few of them didn't seem to do much (and whose names I cannot remember) The only three or four who I didn't dislike were the guy who won the challenge, Iliza, Jeff, and Louis.

Thanks pg for your amazing insights. You've been invaluable to this site!

Some thoughts about your last post....it didn't occur to me to be insulted by the three playboy bunnies deciding who gets immunity, but after reflecting on it...I think you're right, it is insulting to those of us who actually care about this show. To think that those girls so cavalierly almost gave the immunity to Ron G because one of them thought he was hot is ridiculous! I think, sadly, that over the years, I've become so immune to how randomly this show determines things that I don't realize when I'm being insulted! Thanks for the heads up.

As far as your breakdown on each performance, again, I find myself in almost complete agreement with you. Although, I'm not sure that that I've noticed Louis coming across as aloof and negative. I actually think he comes across as a very down-to-earth, likeable person unlike Ron G., although I have to hand it to him, his "ain't nobody thinkin' 'bout you" bit was awesome.

I think Sean is a naturally funny person, and I love his silly expressions and droll comments but...his routine doesn't make me laugh. Conversely, I don't see Adam as being a funny guy or even being very likeable, but his routine has tons of funny jokes in it. I'd like to see Sean perform Adam's routine! Now that would be funny!

Quote Originally Posted by CAdreamin;3144704;
    As far as your breakdown on each performance, again, I find myself in almost complete agreement with you. Although, I'm not sure that that I've noticed Louis coming across as aloof and negative. I actually think he comes across as a very down-to-earth, likeable person unlike Ron G., although I have to hand it to him, his "ain't nobody thinkin' 'bout you" bit was awesome.
    I was about to say the same thing. Louis had, IMHO, his best set to date and to me, anyway, he always comes off as confident and a bit realistic about the competition. Jeff Dye just annoys me with his constant whining about having to be #1 (when he is clearly a #3 or #4 at best).

My wife and I both abhor Ron G. (mainly due to what seems to be his constant Jesse Jackson impersonation and the weird guttural "uuhhmm" noises he makes over and over and over...), BUT, this last set was pretty good. Ain't nobody worried about you.. I have to admit I laughed out loud a couple of times there.

Quote Originally Posted by CAdreamin;3144704;
    I think Sean is a naturally funny person, and I love his silly expressions and droll comments but...his routine doesn't make me laugh. Conversely, I don't see Adam as being a funny guy or even being very likeable, but his routine has tons of funny jokes in it. I'd like to see Sean perform Adam's routine! Now that would be funny!
    Again, total agreement. Sean Cullen is one of my favorites because he just seems to be naturally witty and very fast. His stand up is generally lacking because his songs are... well, not good stand up material and only about 30% funny. He's a fun guy to watch off stage, though.

Jim Tavere is really interesting. He's very old-school to me, with an obvious Brit's wit. Almost vaudevillian. Sometimes I like his material alot because it seems to be so fluid, he just goes from one gag to another. Off stage or in competitions he's not very amusing. Intelligent, but not amusing.

Marcus, as the Girls Next Door surprisingly pointed out (I didn't think they actually had the collective intelligence to realize this) is talent. His impersonations are usually dead-on and he's proven multiple times he can be funny without them.

I like Iliza alot, but her material seems to be "drunk bar girl"-centric. Is that her real persona? The "I look like a <animal of choice> on <drug/drink of choice>" bit is tiring, as is skittering sideways on the stage as if cramped up. That said, I liked her new material. I think it was a smart move at a time where America will be voting and not a local audience that hasn't seen her act before. By the time we've seen all the episodes and followed along, we get sick of seeing comics do the same material over and over (Papa CJ, I'm looking at you) and even if it's not your 'A' material it's fresh and appreciated.

OMG what is wrong with Adam Hunter? He's constantly p-oe'd and his material is very 'R' rated. Did he not realize he's on a prime time major network show and not on cable? I have yet to find him funny and his bump and grind action during his last bit on stage and his blue material was too much.

Which brings me to my last point. Is it just me or is this season's material very 'R' or even 'X' rated? Is NBC watching the show? The very last set Papa CJ did was so raunchy they had to bleep most of it. Iliza has dropped the F bomb a couple of times, and as I stated, Adam's material is always off-color. I'm an adult, and I'm not a prude by any means, but there is a time and place for it. Trying to win a competition where America votes is not that time and place, IMHO.

Thanks for the thought provoking post, pg13!
    There were no utensils in medieval times, hence there are no utensils at Medieval Times. Would you like a refill on that Pepsi?
    There were no utensils, but there was Pepsi?
    Dude, I got alot of tables...

Urban Renewal - a new era BuckeyeAddict's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JenniferTVchick;3143976;
    Really? It's 2/3 over on the left coast and no one has anything to say?? My how this show has fallen. I think we lowly viewers have tired of the producers jaded vision of who is funny. There is a lot of chaff that went through this year. It is nice to have a week without Paul Foot, and I do not miss God's Pottery one bit.

Tonight's stand up is not over for me yet, but so far, I still don't get why Sean is there. He is conversationaly funny like about 25% of my friends... however I would not suggest that any of them go into stand up either. I do so enjoy Jim Tavere. Would have loved to see Marcus perform. Adam and Ron don't do much for me. Jeff and Iliza always make me laugh a couple of times. Louis Ramey makes me laugh. If I forgot anyone, I haven't seen them yet tonight and they haven't impressed me
    I didn't get to watch this week's show until tonight, so I missed my chance to vote. But I'm pretty much in agreement with you. Couldn't stand Paul Foot and God's Pottery. What were they thinking when they put them in the top 12????

I also enjoy Jim, Marcus and Louis. My best laughs come from their acts. Agree that Jeff and Iliza are decent, but not as good as the other 3. For me, Ron is about on the same par with Jeff and Iliza. I've thought Adam was very funny in the past (think "OJ Starter Set"), but this last routine was too controversial and offensive at times. I think Papa CJ and Paul Foot should have challenged Sean last week. They would have stood a better chance againt him! I don't get Sean at all. Are goofy faces supposed to be THAT funny? I can do that - maybe I should try out next year...

I've been watching but not posting. I can't vote but here's what I'm thinking.

My favorites are probably Iliza; she rocked it 3 times on stage under pressure. I also like Jeff and Marcus. Sean is the Canadian, and he's on a comeback, but I can't say I love his style of comedy. Adam gets too nervous (and you can see him sweat), and Jim Tavaree is different, but only manages to get a few jokes in during his time slot as compared to some others. I like Louis Ramey...he manages to be funny, smooth, and not too offensive. Ron G lost some points with me this week. I'm glad PapaCJ is gone...too many old jokes. Didn't take any chances. Thank God Paul Foote and the god's whatever are gone as well.
    Live simply ~ Love generously~ Care deeply~ Speak kindly

FORT Fogey

I understand that comedy takes time to write and practice in front of an audience to perfect. Many/most famous comedians have writers who contribute to their act. My mother wrote for Phyllis Diller for years. But surely these contestants have come prepared with over an hour of solid material. They had to anticipate the need for fresh jokes everytime they were asked to perform. You cannot repeat jokes on TV, especially if the viewers are deciding your fate!

Louis is the best comic on this show, from my stand point.

I don't care for impressions and Sean's songs leave me flat though he is a witty guy around the house. I love Jim Tavere but I don't think he can win this.

The bedtime story challenge was painful to watch, ill conceived and just outrageously stupid. Who is producing this show?! I wanna meet him face to face. Comedy is my heart hook and it is killing me that they are not creating this show to its fullest potential. The first season was great, what happened?

I agree about the bedtime challenge. It was just stupid. I'm wishing that it would have been a better produced show all around last episode. I think though the fact that it was two hours long also contributed to me being kind of sick of the episode by the time it was over.

Quote Originally Posted by shoepie;3146148;
    I understand that comedy takes time to write and practice in front of an audience to perfect. Many/most famous comedians have writers who contribute to their act. My mother wrote for Phyllis Diller for years.
    Shoepie, your mother is Gene Perret?

With all due respect, Shoepie, your idea that stand-up comedians have writers contributing to their stand-up is, for the most part, antiquated. I'm quite confident in assuring you that none of the comedians on Last Comic Standing have any writers contributing to their act. Not at this stage of their careers.

**Do comedians who now host television shows (Leno/Letterman/O'Brien/Stewart/etc.) have writers coming up with their nightly monologues? Yes.
    **Does someone who built up his stand-up career using his own material, someone like Chris Rock as an example, go ahead and hire some writers to help him when he's planning a new two-hour special? Yes.
    **Does a comedic actor (think Will Ferrell) work with writers when they appear on television? Certainly.

BUT, pretty much since Lenny Bruce helped usher out of favor an entire generation of comedians (Phyllis Diller included) that were merely performers of other people's material and ushered in an era where stand-up performers were expected to generate their own material (much as The Beatles did in music)--modern stand-ups are defined by the material that they write for themselves to perform themselves.

Some may test out ideas with some peers...some may offer their peers "tags" to help their peers improve their material...but it is rare that any modern stand-up actually has someone else write their material.

But surely these contestants have come prepared with over an hour of solid material. They had to anticipate the need for fresh jokes everytime they were asked to perform. You cannot repeat jokes on TV, especially if the viewers are deciding your fate!
    While there are some performers working today known for the sheer tonnage of material that they have at their disposal (Dane Cook, Dave Chappelle, Eddie Izzard are three that come to mind)--the average touring "headliner" has an act that tends to run 45 minutes to an hour...and some of these performers supplement their material by doing "crowd work."

And the finalists on Last Comic Standing are not always to the level of touring "headliner" yet--some may still be "features" (who have a solid 30 minute act)...and we're all aware that the first ever winner of Last Comic Standing had not yet made his way to being a "feature" performer yet--by some estimates, Dat Phan may have only had 15-20 minutes of material when he won Last Comic Standing...which proved to be a bit of a problem when winning Last Comic Standing instantly made him in-demand to tour as a headliner.

But the sheer amount of time isn't even the start of the problem for these performers--because this show doesn't ask them to do a lot of time at once...it asks them to do a couple of minutes at a time. Well, that's another thing entirely. Because a performer who has an hour long set might spend a long chunk of it on a particular topic...and the material builds upon that topic. It's not like you could take that 20 minutes and carve it into 6 equally strong 3-minute segments that make sense and that have a strong beginning and a strong end.

Doug Benson, on another message board, said that he calculated that it would take someone who had 11 strong 4-minute sets to win at Last Comic Standing...and most comedians might have ONE "funniest five" or "bulletproof seven" that they bring out whenever called upon to showcase (for a possible television appearance, as an example.) Most performers do not build up more than one short-time showcase set...and that's what this show demands.

If you've trained for a marathon, your training won't help you to win a contest that is based on a 100 yard dash every day.

And, of course, these comedians aren't used to "not being able to tell the same jokes" week after week. They've never been in a position like this--and, for some of the younger performers, they might not even realize that they can't tell the jokes again that they told to get this far in the competition...and even worse, now that they've been told on television, they probably can't tell these same jokes again IN THEIR ACT once the show ends.

(I saw that happen to Marcus when we worked together recently--in his act, in front of an audience that has seen him on television, he tried to go into a couple of the bits that he'd done on the show...and they didn't work to the degree that these jokes had worked for him previously... The "surprise" is now gone--or, in classic terms "they'd heard that one before.")

You WOULD think that these performers would have researched what was needed to succeed in this show...but, and I'll include myself here, most of us who tried out for the show at the regional auditions were ready to cannibalize all of our best jokes to make a two-to-four minute "best of our stuff" mega-showcase set JUST FOR THE CHANCE TO MOVE FORWARD IN THE PROCESS. So...it's not just that you've used three minutes there--you've eaten up all of the other minutes that you would have had if you'd been telling those jokes in their entirety. Most stand-up comedy performers are not really used to thinking in terms of strategically planning for a competition based reality tv show.

I talked with Ty Barnett about this--as he was smart enough to hold back on material deep into the competition. Ty, in the middle of the "America Decides" part of the show at the time, voiced his frustration about not knowing when to drop his A-material. If he did it this week, he might move on...but he wouldn't have his best material available...and if he didn't do it this week, he might not move on...making the idea of holding onto material rather moot.

If only the people that make this show would point their cameras towards THAT kind of drama--this show might once again be compelling television...as I think there IS dramatic value in the decisions that every competitor in this show has to make. Instead, we get The Girls Next Door and more episodes concentrating on the Freak Parade than actual comedy.

Louis is the best comic on this show, from my stand point.
    I think so, too...and I thought so from the moment I'd heard who had made the house. He's a solid professional comedian. The knock on Louis, such as it is, is that he's been coasting for years on the exact same set... Most of us should be so lucky.

The first season was great, what happened?
    There is an unexplainable alchemy in casting--and sometimes (LCS Season #1) you get gold...and sometimes (LCS Season #2) you get lead.

In Season Two, you had people who were more interested in gaming the game for their strategic benefit...than in being funny in the house. Left to their own devices, the cast of LCS Season #2 basically created themselves a "The Real World: London" situation (as in, producers realized that they'd have to step in to interrupt the inertia that unmotivated cast members could destroy a show with...)

Todd Glass and Jay London couldn't save season two from being simply boring.

Since then, whoever is producing this show in each particular season has come to the same conclusion--we can't count on the cast to give us compelling television...we have to create compelling television despite them.

I, too, think they've missed a pretty big boat...

pg--seattle

PS--(*Explanation of the Gene Perret comment. I know that Gene Perret is not Shoepie's mother...for one thing, Gene is a man. Gene Perret is a famous comedy writer and author of many books about writing comedy. He not only wrote for Phyllis Diller but also for Carol Burnett, Bill Cosby and, most prominently, he was Bob Hope's head comedy writer. The truth is that performers from THAT era often had numerous writers submitting things to them--sometimes, they'd have a staff of writers, others would accept unsolicited material. Those days are, for the most part, long gone. Bruce Villanch not withstanding.)

PPS--And, despite thinking that Louis is the "best comedian" on the show...I didn't vote for him. I voted for Jeff Dye. Proving what I've always said about this show--people don't vote on some sort of objective demarcation of who, mathematically, is funnier...they vote on how they feel about a performer. I know Jeff, I like Jeff...I think Jeff did a hell of a job and I want to see him make the Final Five--that's why I voted for him. And that's what NBC expects us to do...because this isn't a "comedy competition"--it's still just reality tv.
    Last edited by pg13; 07-28-2008 at 02:56 AM. Reason: One more thing to say.

FORT Fogey

pg, my mother wrote for Phyllis in the late 50's and 60's when she was pretty new on the scene. We went to see her in Detroit and my mother asked to meet her after the show. She came with some things she wrote for her. Phyllis liked her material and continued to buy stuff by the line or gag for years to come.

You misunderstood what I said. I said many FAMOUS comics have writers. I did not say these contestants are in that catagory. I meant that it is difficult amass volume on your own.

As far as not being able to tell the same jokes that they used in the show after the show ends, that makes a lot of sense. However, I saw John Heffron after he won and most of his act included the jokes he had already told on the show. Here's the thing...in his case, it didn't really matter because he still brought the house down! As an aside, after the show, he graciously stood in the lobby shaking hands and taking pictures with everyone. I even got a hug which made me very happy!

PS Since pg13 mentioned Doug Benson (and this has nothing to do with the show), I watched his movie "Super High Me" last week and it was just hilarious! So there's a plug for you Doug wherever you are.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast