+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 7/10 LCS Show Discussion

Re: 7/10 LCS Show Discussion

Quote Originally Posted by paridy;3124596;
    well its Esther Ku that was picked as the one everyone thought they could beat and she picked Ilsa, and God's Pottery to go up against in the showdown.
    The only thing which made me thing Iliza had a shot was the teasing into the commercial breaks that strongly implied that she would win.

I mean, Ku and Pottery had better "hooks" than she did. Iliza's hook of "hot girl" is a bit MORE predictable in the real world, but I'd been assuming a lot LESS predictable in a comedy showdown.

Quote Originally Posted by Rattus;3126002;
    I'm pretty sure it's not just your opinion . To my mind, Dave Mordal is the gold standard for this series. There has been some good stuff over the years, but nothing that has made me laugh to the point of pain like Dave.

Oh, except for the squirrelador. Still can't believe he didn't make it all the way through.
    Yeah, and predictably (and disgustingly to my mind) the producers left him out of the "top comedy moments" clips and put in some FAR inferior folks.

Mordal doesn't get along with NBC, or the producers, but that shouldn't be getting in the way of them doing even a half-honest appraisal of who's ACTUALLY been funniest.

"You don't rehearse Mr. T, you just turn him loose."
    -----Sylvester Stallone, on Mr. T-----

Quote Originally Posted by Krom;3126143;
    Mordal doesn't get along with NBC, or the producers, but that shouldn't be getting in the way of them doing even a half-honest appraisal of who's ACTUALLY been funniest.
    You said it Dude! I couldn't agree more. I don't know who decides the so-called funniest moments of the show, but about 8 of them didn't even make it in my personal top 10. The NBC producers are like a clique of high school girls, if you don't do things exactly our way, then we will make it look like you were never a part of LCS history. There was one guy in the their top 10 and I don't even think the audience laughed at the joke.

BTW I saw Rich Vos's half hour comedy special on comedy central last week. Oh the memories!!
    In the 60's, people took acid to make the world weird.
    Now the world is weird and people take Prozac to make it normal.

Bring back the bathtub scenes! Although (I am speculating) if God's Pottery was still there we might have had many bubblebath scenes! I agree that the 1st season is still the epitome to strive for.

Quote Originally Posted by Krom;3126143;
    Yeah, and predictably (and disgustingly to my mind) the producers left him out of the "top comedy moments" clips and put in some FAR inferior folks.
    Truly. I kept waiting, waiting, waiting and...nothing. No Mordal. WTF? I did not laugh once during their top clips. Didn't even get that little swell of anticipation that means a laugh might be building deep inside.
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

The moment that I wanted to see would have been if they'd picked Ralphie May's "Light 'em up, George...I want cheap gas" as their number one joke. I'd have choked on the irony.

Here's the thing...when you see them do a "countdown" of anything, it's probably because they've been asked by the network to deliver more content than they actually have for that episode. Remember the "Top 10 Worst Auditions" countdown? Well, that week, the show was 30 minutes longer than it was originally slated to be. This week, it was all Last Comic Standing from 8pm to 11pm (E/P time)--one hour to recap last week's show...and two hours for the first "in the house" episode.

I think they just had some time to fill...and they grabbed an editor and just randomly took a bunch of jokes that somebody remembered...or they had easy access to...and they threw them into the show. It's certainly not like anyone took the time to seriously consider the merits of every joke they've ever filmed for this show...

And, as it ALWAYS is, whenever a tv show or a magazine runs a top whatever list of the best or worst whatevers in the past whatever--THEY win whether you agree or not... In fact, they probably would rather you be outraged at how bad their choices were--because then, you're more likely to bitch about it to other people...thus, giving them free word of mouth publicity.

Worst case scenario for NBC would be you smiling passively on your couch thinking to yourself, "Yeah, that seems right."

pg--Instinctively, we all seem to get very upset at lists that don't conform to our opinions...and tv shows and magazines KNOW that. Grrrrrrrrrrr...--seattle

PS--Give the choice, I'd always pick more Dave Mordal over almost anything.

LG.

Dave Mordal shows up on our local radio station pretty frequently because I live in Minnesota (as does Dave), and I agree, he is very funny. But he is just a funny person, not a blah person with a funny act. He is funny just telling the morning show guy what he's been doing, not setting up big "jokes" that sound rehearsed and rehashed. Dave losing to Dat Phan was a travesty.
    Help fight cystic fibrosis or just learn more about it at the cystic fibrosis foundation website, www.cff.org and help give my little guy a better future.

would rather be cruising! marybethp's Avatar

LG - that's a perfect description of Dave - he's just a funny person. He is quick witted and just naturally funny. I saw him after that first LCS season in NYC and he was just natural and a bit demented. I like that.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123