+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789

Thread: When we last left off...

Doing a lap before I commit to a location

Re: When we last left off...

well, I KNOW I'm nuts... I guess you're right... the pool they select from is already stereotyped, they're looking for stereotypes, so there ya go!

Papa CJ? Why did I think he had a first and last name? Hmmm... I'll believe you as always. I guess if I'm disappointed in this week's show that the one I remember is not on, I'll know that he was left behind and is not Papa CJ. If on the other hand, that's him, which it probably will be, I'll just crawl back into the "nuts" box I've already put myself in.

Fiona O'Laughlin. She was hysterical. Why did they gloss over the "International" auditions this year? I didn't even watch that episode, but I'm still calling "gloss!".
    Could does not mean should

Loved the interactions at the house. Finally, back to what works!

FORT Fogey Add It Up Champion famita's Avatar

pg13, I love your insighful asides. I have a question: who was using old material on the your mama, etc smackdowns?

Quote Originally Posted by famita;3126446;
    pg13, I love your insighful asides. I have a question: who was using old material on the your mama, etc smackdowns?
    Good question. I wish I had a good answer for you.

In talking with Marcus about this episode, he said that he did six snaps in his "round"--and NBC only showed us one of them. Because of that, I don't think you can specifically pick exactly who was being talked about based on what we were allowed to see...

My personal opinion, based merely on what I saw--which, as I just said, I shouldn't really do--would be that it was Ron G. and Louis Ramey--they seemed to have been shown doing the most traditional snaps... However, I've read other posters on other message boards who have pointed out specific snaps from other performers as being egregious...

The thing is--a "snap" or a "Yo Mamma" or playing "the dozens" isn't far removed from a "knock knock" joke...it's a standard construction...it's what we call a "street joke." Nobody is really given credit for having come up with a street joke, it just simply "is"--and, it's fair game for performers to use on stage anyway... In the same way that a comic might say "Hey, just put that anywhere" when a waitress drops a tray--it's something that gets a laugh that no one expects to be all that original.

Of course, there are some comics who do nothing BUT street jokes...and that is frowned upon--as, what have you really contributed to what you're charging someone for in "your act"?

While I like some of what I saw Sean Cullen and Jeff Dye do...and I, predictably, was amused by the approach taken by God's Pottery...what I DIDN'T see in this challenge was much tailored writing...of snaps purposefully written to the specifics of their opponent.

I wish MC Serch would have shown up and given these comics a chance to witness the strength of street knowledge--to teach them some battle manouevers, a la "The White Rapper Show"...but that might have got too real...

So, bottom line...I don't know Rich Eisen and the judge who was not Rich Eisen (whose name I know, but decline to promote) were thinking of when they discussed who was using Jurassic snaps...but, from what I saw...I'd guess it was Ron G. and Louis Ramey--but, of course, your mileage may vary...

pg--I was the host tonight at a show that Marcus headlined. Marcus dropped almost 90 minutes on this crowd...it was a good time had by all.--seattle

+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789