+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: When we last left off...

FORT Fogey

Re: When we last left off...

A woman, who tried out last year, and did not make the cut, was hilarious. I am hoping you know her name. She is Brittish, maybe 40 or so. One line- I have 5 children. I dont know all of their names. I drink like a fish. Her delivery was spot on.

To clarify the above post. I went to your home page to see who you were THEN remembered you made the cut.

FORT Newbie

That comic was Fiona O'Laughlin, she's from Australia. She was awesome at the semifinals but didn't get picked for the top ten last year.

Quote Originally Posted by JoeDeVito;3018428;
    She was awesome at the semifinals but didn't get picked for the top ten last year.
    Hey Joe,

Speaking of people who were awesome but didn't get picked for the top ten... It's JOE DEVITO, everyone!!!

You were one of the people that I "knew" that I'm pretty sure I saw last night. Were you? And how was this year's experience for you? Could you tell it was being produced by a different team than last year?

pg--seattle

PS--And shoepie, unfortunately I must have left something to misinterpretation on my MySpace page (--probably my unfinished blog about the experience, yes? I should just take that foolish thing down.)--but I did NOT get past the first cut. I got two minutes in front of the producers and that was it--French Stewart and Josh Gomez never got the chance to see me. (I did end up MEETING both French and Josh--and Bill Bellamy--later on...as I'd bought myself a ticket for the late show, to get the full experience.)

FORT Newbie

Hello again pg13! Here's my experience in excrutiating detail:

This year's auditions were VERY different. The producers were checking everyone - even the lucky folks with scheduled auditions - before the judges even got there. I don't know how the people off the line were doing. I think everyone at least got in to do either that weird Port-a-Potty booth or a group joke-off in front of a PA.

The producers remembered me from last year and right after I went up they moved me on to meet the judges that afternoon. That was nice. Then they shot some interview footage of me in case they needed B-roll.

They were definitely emphasizing the freaks this year. Lots of wacky costumes, prop acts, and more than one chicken person. I heard that people on the line were being encouraged to come back in a wacky costume to increase chances of on-air time. I'll have more to say about that later!

When my group was called for the judges audition the woman before me did a sing-a-long with her parrot (I believe his name was Salty, in case there are any fans of performing birds reading this). Schirripa was kind of rude to her, which I didn't like because even if her act wasn't appropriate it was still cute and she didn't seem like a loony.

Next was me...

Last year, when I walked to the stage Ant, Kathleen and Alonzo waited for me to say my name and seemed to be very focused. This year there was a lot of commotion in the room and I had to wait onstage for them to pay attention.

First joke: big laugh
    Second joke: nothing

Here's where I screwed up, and pg13 as a fellow comic I think you'll understand. For a few months I'd been going through some "growing pains" in my act and I'd just come back from the UK the day before, where I had a VERY rough time at a TV taping. SO instead of doing material I think is more distinctive but a little risky, I defaulted and started doing some "easier" stuff that I know works on the road. It was one of those moments when I could hear the words coming out of my mouth while thinking, "Hmmm, why am I telling this joke?"

Belzer held up his hand and said, "Stop. This ethnic stuff with the Italians and food has been done to death." Which was ironic considering he was sitting next to a large dude from the Sopranos! Actually, Schirripa chuckled under his breath and said, "Well, it is true." SO I said, "OK, then let's try something else."

Joke #3 (which I did at the Montreal Comedy Fest): no response
    Schirrpa said I lost lost him after the first joke and shrugged, said he would defer to Belzer. Now I realized I probably wasn't even going to make the evening show, but I asked to try one more joke.

Joke #4 (which I closed with at my Live at Gotham taping): no response.
    Belzer said my stage presence was good, unfortunately my material was weak. The answer was no, but he encouraged me to "stick with it." Yippee.

After having taped the B-roll stuff, I felt pretty stupid and went to the bar next to Gotham to commiserate with Dena Blizzard, another NY evening show finalist from last year. It was not a good week for me...

But then a few days later I got the call to go do The Late Late Show on CBS. So suck it, world! I did most of those same jokes that bombed for Belzer and Schirripa, too. And I think they showed me speaking in last night's LCS, so I think that means they have to pay me now that I'm in the union. Double suck it! Can't wait for that check for $.18.

I heard there were shenanigans at the semifinals, so I was probably lucky that I went last season. Sounds like they're going for more of a "reality show" vibe this year with the house and all that. IMHO, you have to remember that this isnt a search for the funniest person blah blah blah or even a true slice of reality. It's kind of a game show featuring standup comics, which for all its faults can be a good boost for a career. I do know some comics who made the finals, and I wish them all luck.

Now as far as the wacky costumes goes...
    I know the freaks and bad auditions are what a lot of people want to see, but that has nothing to do with standup comedy. You won't go to a club anywhere and see an act dressed as a hotdog, do why push that to the forefront?

Anyhoo - pg13, keep up the great work with the recaps. And comedy fans, hope to meet you soon at a comedy club near you!

Yay Joe! (And trust me, I know EXACTLY what you mean by making the decision to do the "easier stuff that you know works"--as I did the same exact thing at my audition...which was worse, because it was for the producers...and the producers weren't there to see if you were "competent"--they wanted to see if you were interesting. D'OH!)

Here's MY story that perhaps only Joe will understand... I did one joke during my audition which I'd call an "extender"--it's a joke that gets a good laugh at the beginning and by facial expressions and by adding another topper at just the right moment, I can keep that initial laugh rolling along. It's become a signature moment in my road act and I decided to do it in front of the producers. The problem is...in a room with just two people paying attention, there's no initial laugh to extend...and there's no point in saying "toppers" to keep the non-existent "boil" a-rollin'... Absolutely a classic "thinking about what I think I need to do, rather than thinking about what they need to see" blunder.

I think the push for the freaks/costumed/etc. is all about the change in production team--someone got their hands on an existing franchise and decided to give it their own polish.

HEY! LET'S HAVE A BUNCH OF NBC CELEBRITIES TO BE THE TALENT SCOUTS.
    HEY! LET'S MAKE THE LINE LOOK AS COLORFUL AND BIZARRE AS POSSIBLE!
    HEY! LET'S FILM A GIRL WHO DOESN'T GET OUT OF HER MIDDAY AUDITION IN EIGHTEEN DIFFERENT OUTFITS INSTEAD OF SHOWING US MORE OF RORY SCOVEL, MYQ KAPLAN, ROBERT HAWKINS, OR JOE DEVITO...

Oh, since you brought up how Schrippa was mean to the person in front of you...I have to share this. While talking casually with the production crew during the San Francisco auditions, and to a one, they all said "I wish we'd have had Schirripa and Belzer as the guest judges for EVERY location...they were so funny in how they ripped everybody to shreds."

pg--And just for the record, I'm not doing official recaps for the FORT this year...I'm just adding in whatever I can to be helpful...--seattle

PS--In the Tempe audition opening, the comic in the wheelchair is my friend Steve "Shortbus" Krause--a very funny comic who deserved to be seen for his actual ability to rock the mic and not just a goofy fake stampede scene. (Can't wait to see how they edit the SF show--at one point they had a group of SIX wheelchair-based comics, being filmed as a group... One of them carried a sign that said "Will Tell Jokes For Stem Cells"...)

PPS--Is there irony in how LAST YEAR the word was that Ant specifically pushed people to do jokes about their ethnicity?

FORT Fogey

pg13, What is your name? Hard to look for a comic in clubs with a message board handle. When I clicked on the button, under your name, to take me to your home page I saw Marcus and thought that was you. He made the first cut last night.

For the record I know of no one who likes to see crazy costumes. The producers "think" that is what draws viewers and they are dead wrong. We want to see good humor.

"Will tell jokes for stem cells" is hilarious.

Thanks Joe, I loved what little I saw of Fiona. She was far, far better than some that made the final cut last year.

Hey Shoepie,

You saw Marcus and thought that was me?

Just for the record, I don't manscape my eyebrows.

(For more info on me: Seattle Comedy.net* (For those who do it and those who enjoy it) )

Wow. I came here to check what people thought of tonight's show (6/5/08)...and found out that there wasn't even a show discussion thread for it.

Too bad, because you'd have seen me on there (twice...but you'd best not have blinked either time) and a whole bunch of my funny friends.

I'm happy to report that we didn't look foolish...and one of my closest friends in comedy is moving on to the semi-finals.

Just in case anyone was still paying attention.

pg--seattle

Here's a photo of me...with Last Comic Standing's Jeff Dye.

We were co-headlining a show in Wenatchee, Washington.
    Attached Images Attached Images

FORT Fogey

pg13, apparently I blinked.

What friend of yours moved on? It is very unsatisfying to watch the auditions. Two hours of humor and they send a total of 4 people on? What is up with that? From where I sat they passed over some good comics. Please shine some light on their logic if you can.

Any producer that would pass up Fiona O'Loughlin (last season) in favor of Lavell is certifiable. I hold little hope of seeing good comedy on this show and it is a shame. Tell me it aint so.

+ Reply to Thread