+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 8/15 Show Discussion *spoilers*

Re: 8/15 Show Discussion *spoilers*

Quote Originally Posted by lisa1124;2529785;
    Does anyone remember Amy's joke to the nun? I thought it was hilarious.
    Actually, yeah. I was impressed by the fact that was able to switch from joking to models to religion specific joking to a nun without skipping a beat. But then, she's been my favourite from the get go.
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

CCL

Quote Originally Posted by lisa1124;2529785;
    Does anyone remember Amy's joke to the nun? I thought it was hilarious.
    Don't remember the wording but it was about her being on the subway or bus and someone was trying to tell her the "Good News" and she said that she was Jewish. The person said that was okay because she just hadn't heard the Good News yet. To which Amy replied that she didn't think the other person had heard the bad news yet, about the Jews putting Jesus on the cross.

It was quite funny and much better told than that. Even the nun laughed despite herself.
    If you type "google" into google you can break the internet.

I enjoyed the jokes but still thought they should have shown it all! Unless they all stuck to high heaven. I don't have a vested interest in any one comic this year. I guess I'm feeling "whatever".

We like Amy. We think she's really funny. She totally deserves to be in the finale. I'm glad she got immunity, because audiences are biased towards male comics, and if she'd been up on the block she probably would have been sent packing.

The guy with the lazy eye had a plan that backfired. He thought he was voting for someone nobody else would challenge, because Ralph had already won a few times. But since Ralph had dissed Amy by looking aggrieved at her challenge win, she chose him to compete, thus putting lazy-eye in harm's way. Then they chose the only "international" contestant left, assuring that their "international" season has all Americans in the finale. Ha.

I was sorry to see Matt go. I think he is very funny and he just seems really humble and sweet. Amy is probably my favorite comic left standing.

What the hell is wrong with these men? They freaked out when they were face to face with a beautiful woman! Are they all still teenagers? And the drag queen? Most have a pretty good sense of humor about themselves. Those guys could have come up with something! Lame!

I liked Ralph at first, but he is becoming more arrogant. I didn't like the way him and Lavelle treated Amy after she won. Almost like they think she should be barefoot, pregnant and in the kitchen. Bleh.

FORT Regular

I have never understood the "humor" in "insult humor"--but did it strike anyone else as a particularly "guy" thing when--upon seeing a nun--the guys went for insults instead of real humor?

I know comedy is supposed to break barriers and be above so-called good manners--but in the real world what would anyone hope to gain by insulting the person who has the power to vote them in or out?

Maybe PG13 can come by and try to explain this to me?

I keeeed. I keeeeed because I luuuuuuuuuuuv.

Quote Originally Posted by Whirlingal;2535815;
    I have never understood the "humor" in "insult humor"--but did it strike anyone else as a particularly "guy" thing when--upon seeing a nun--the guys went for insults instead of real humor?

I know comedy is supposed to break barriers and be above so-called good manners--but in the real world what would anyone hope to gain by insulting the person who has the power to vote them in or out?

Maybe PG13 can come by and try to explain this to me?

I'll do my best.

Insult humor is about the surprise of saying something that normally isn't said. Surprise is a key component to humor--people who are surprised often laugh, not always because they find something funny but out of nervousness.

Insult humor is also about the comedy of recognition--of saying something that produces an "a-ha...that IS like that."

As an example, I did a show on Saturday night where there was a person in the front row...a portly guy who had long black "biker hair" with a receding hairline and a mustache. As I was beginning my set and acknowledging the audience who had come, I said "And I'd like to welcome Ron Jeremy and thank him for coming to the show and sitting in the front row tonight." That drew a huge applause break response from people who heard what I said, looked at the guy and had an "a-ha...he DOES look like Ron Jeremy" moment.

Note--I didn't mean the comment as an insult...but it could have been considered an insult.

When done well...Don Rickles, Lisa Lampenelli, Triumph...insult comedy is shielded in fake protestations of love...and then the awful thing that we're all thinking is said by someone who doesn't fear the consequences...it can be very funny. Mean...CAN be funny. To some people's thinking, comedy HAS to be mean.

Think about this quote from Mel Brooks.

"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die.--Mel Brooks

Now...all that said...I actually don't think that the nun faced any insult humor.

It wasn't "insult humor" when Doug Benson told that nun a dirty joke. That was "audience inappropriate" to be sure--but, on the other hand, according to what we saw, Doug toned the language down to make it what we call "tv clean" and it is assumed that everyone can handle "tv clean."

What Jon Reep did certainly wasn't insult humor... What Gerry Dee did certainly wasn't insult humor... What Ralph did...well, really, what did Ralph do?

Certainly, an insult comic could have had a field day with the really very sweet Sister Rose.

Comedian walks through the curtain and sees Sister Rose. Hey! Look...this is where the Penguins stopped Marching! Whoa, is that a cape on your head? Is your head a superhero? Whatever happened to the big Dumbo ears things you nuns used to wear--don't you want to fly anymore? Hey Sister, answer me this...are you jealous about the priests? I mean, they get all those young boys and you don't get nun? Maybe it's because you're fat. Which is surprising considering how much standing, sitting and kneeling you do. Seriously, Sister...cut back down to one host a day. That's His body...His whole body...maybe you should try to just eat His legs? Hey Sister, honestly...did you ever wake up and think, "Maybe I overreacted to getting stood up at the prom?"

THAT would have been insult humor.

And no, I don't think that would have been a good way to get votes.

Nor was it good game strategy for Doug Benson to do the totally inappropriate thing in telling Sister Rose a dirty joke.

So, why did he do it?

For one thing--in a vacuum where Doug wasn't aware of how anyone else was doing with this challenge, Doug probably thought that his inability to get laughs from the Deal or No Deal girls OR from the drag queen had sealed his fate in this challenge...so, he had nothing to lose.

A second thing--Doug has been on television before...and he knows what they want...he knows what those show producers and editors need to craft compelling television.

A third thing--Doug is, to a certain degree, fearless...that's a prime characteristic of a great comedian...to say the things that most people wouldn't say.

A fourth thing--Doug doesn't have to care about how he does in a challenge on Last Comic Standing. This show isn't going to make or break him...so, he could choose to have fun...rather than to treat it as the most serious opportunity he's ever had.

A fifth thing--Doug must not have felt that winning the challenge--winning immunity--was all that important. He had a strategy (which, ironically, backfired on him) to vote for Ralph Harris--thinking that no one else would, since Ralph had proved himself to be so strong in the first showdown--and Doug's one of the most experienced comics there, so he wouldn't be afraid to actually prove his worth by performing stand-up...

When you think about it--would you rather be Doug...who people are talking about...who had the sheer audacity to tell a dirty joke to a nun...who made certain that he was front and center (and interesting) in every challenge and every situation that the show presented them...OR would you rather be Gerry...who has played the game and kept himself off the radar...who made it into the Final Five without having made any sort of impact in the show?

Doug's gone...but Doug's memory lives on.

pg--seattle

PS--I ached for Sister Rose when I watched this... She seemed like she wanted to like this odd process and the people parading in front of her... She warmed up to Jon, she was lead right into a joke trap by Amy...and it was so uncomfortable watching her being uncomfortable with Doug's joke. I couldn't have imagined what it would take to calmly go forward with telling that joke in that circumstance--(other than to completely disassociate the person from the process...and to keep in mind that you're playing to the audience watching at home, not to the audience seated across from you.)

PPS--I couldn't have done what Doug did...but, then again, I don't think I could have done what Amy did, either. I would have told jokes that made fun of me...maybe I could have told a story from when I was a public-school altar boy that she could have related to... I probably would have made for rather uninteresting television.

PPPS--Keep that thought in your mind as you watch Last Comic Standing--we're seeing only the moments that someone is choosing for us to see. There are probably plenty of moments that would make more sense for how we would think people should have responded...but those moments aren't shared with us. What's shared with us are the moments that will make us go "What the heck was up with THAT?"

Did any of that make sense, Whirlingal? Did that answer your questions? If not, I'll give it another shot...

Terrific and entertaining post, pg! You are so much funnier than these people on TV. But, you already know that, don't you?

FORT Fan

Quote Originally Posted by Harvest;2530166;
    We like Amy. We think she's really funny. She totally deserves to be in the finale. I'm glad she got immunity, because audiences are biased towards male comics, and if she'd been up on the block she probably would have been sent packing.

The guy with the lazy eye had a plan that backfired. He thought he was voting for someone nobody else would challenge, because Ralph had already won a few times. But since Ralph had dissed Amy by looking aggrieved at her challenge win, she chose him to compete, thus putting lazy-eye in harm's way. Then they chose the only "international" contestant left, assuring that their "international" season has all Americans in the finale. Ha.
    Who is Lazy Eye???

Quote Originally Posted by luvclayseyes;2551857;
    Who is Lazy Eye???
    Doug Benson

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12