+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Debra DiGiovanni - Season 5

From the corner of my eye Jewelsy's Avatar

Debra DiGiovanni - Season 5

Debra DiGiovanni
    Toronto, ON

"I'm super-duper excited! This could be the best thing that ever happened to my comedy career. Especially as a Canadian comic, it's great to be able to perform at an international level. It's going to be super fun!"
    - DEBRA DIGIOVANNI upon learning she was a finalist.

Debra DiGiovanni has been quoted as "one of Canada's fastest rising stand-up talents". Her comedy has a sharp edge while maintaining a playful, happy air and her persona is one of the best developed of any comic working today. Couple that with a hilarious act that is so personal everyone can relate and you see why Debra is so popular, as her humour and charm lies in her unflinching honesty and openness.

Toronto's NOW Magazine raves, calling her "the Best Stand Up to see after a Messy Break Up". Her love of comedy began when she worked as a tour guide for a local television station; and she finally hit the stage in 2000 and has since been nominated for the coveted Tim Sims Comedy Encouragement Award in 2002. In the same year she won the Canadian Comedy Award for the Best Newcomer in Stand Up. In 2003, NOW magazine named her headline show as the 3rd Best of the Year. She taped her Comedy Now Special for CTV in the summer of 2004 and in 2005 was nominated for Best Female Stand up. 2005 was her first appearance Just For Laughs Festival where she was invited on a cross Canada tour opening for Russell Peters (2005-2006).

Debra is presently a sought after headliner with a growing fan base. She is also an accomplished voice performer; and can be heard on CBC radio for a bi-weekly rant, and seen regularly on Muchmusic as a favorite judge on the hit show Video On Trial.
    "Among the blind, the squinter rules." ~ Gerard Didier Erasmus

Re: Debra DiGiovanni - Season 5

I haven't been keeping up with this season very well, but this girl's my favorite. I liked her ever since I saw her audition on the internet (NBC had her audition on the internet before it aired on TV). I'm hoping she'll become the first female to win LCS.

If she doesn't win, I also like Matt Kirshen.

CCL

I think she was very uneven last night (when she was being heckled) and the week before. But I do like her on Video on Trial and she always seems so nice and smiley. I hope she gets a chance to stay and prove herself.
    If you type "google" into google you can break the internet.

While I agree with that she was completely outperformed during the heckling thing, I do love her on Video on Trial, so I can't help but root for her.

She is so not funny. I liked her very first audition that she did for the 3 judges, but she's sucked ever since. I can almost hear crickets chirping when she does her act. I don't know how she got this far.
    Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

Is it me or is this John Candy's love child?

Her head-to-head with Matt last night was actually decent, for a change. I was worried that she might beat him, which would have bummed me out since she usually is not funny at all.
    I am so glad Matt won! I can just look at him & laugh, he's so cute, in a little kid kind of way.
    Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

I actually liked Deborah, although she wasn't a favorite. I do think Matt should have won at the Jester thing. Anyway....I think Gerry and a couple of others should have left before her.

LG.

I think you meant to post it like this, MnBuns.

Help fight cystic fibrosis or just learn more about it at the cystic fibrosis foundation website, www.cff.org and help give my little guy a better future.

CCL

Comic still on her feet

Aug 16, 2007 04:30 AM
    Sabrina Jalees

Usually, when someone achieves sudden success within the comedy community, their leading role of "Most Back Talked Comic" is secured.

So when Toronto-based comic Debra DiGiovanni landed in the Top 10 of NBC's reality show Last Comic Standing, I waited for the "She's using my jokes"/ "It was rigged"/ "She's addicted to comedy enhancing drugs" lines to creep out of the green room.

Instead, in a case that I hope will set a precedent, (Debra DiGiovanni vs. Comedians' Insecurities), her peers were rooting for her. Unfortunately, millions of viewers' hearts broke last week as Debra was ousted in the closest Head to Head match (in which two comics compete for audience votes) in Last Comic Standing history.

In a fit of anger, I biked over to the St. Clair W. apartment of my fellow Video on Trial cast member to chat about the show, her future and old men with facial tattoos.

Sabrina Jalees: Okay, so tell me the show's rigged. How do you feel about the much-criticized "audience voting" method they use until reaching the Top 5?

Debra DiGiovanni: Before I say anything about that, the show is great for comedy. People are watching standup and it's helping bring comedy back, which is great. But once it develops into a more American Idol-type format, it'll be a better show.

SJ: Exactly, 'cause comedy is so subjective. How many people are in that studio audience that votes?

DG: Six hundred people, and the shows are all in L.A..

SJ: So 50 per cent of the votes are coming from silicone. A few episodes ago, the show had the comics heckling each other and I could tell you really didn't wanna do it.

DG: That was hard. None of us wanted to. First of all, we did that within the first 20 minutes of meeting each other. You've gotta basically make fun of someone's T-shirt or what they look like. The show loved it, though, because the audience loves it. It sends the wrong message out to audiences, though: "Heckling is funny. You make the show better!"

SJ: This insanely loud 95-year-old drunk man with shamrocks tattooed to his cheeks sat front row centre at my show last week at Wigamog and yelled through my entire set. Then he came up to me at the bar later and said, "Hey ... we did it! We had the whole room laughing!"

DG: "No – you made it frustrating and bad for everyone, you stupid old man!" I had to do an outdoor show a couple months ago and one of the security guards brought a megaphone and was about to heckle another comic. I ran over and put my hand on the megaphone and the guy's like, "Hey, you're no fun! You're ruining it."

SJ: You're ruining it?

DG: What a loser, huh? Like the highlight of his life is yelling into a megaphone – but I guess the highlight of mine is yelling into a microphone. Who's worse? Whatever, he was cutting into my time!

SJ: What's the plan with your time now?

DG: Through the show, I got an 0-1 visa. That means I can work in the U.S. for two years.

SJ: Which usually costs, like, $10,000 and years to get.

DG: Oh, yeah. So now the plan is my agent and I get on the phone and say, "Hi, I've got Debra from Last Comic Standing, you interested?"

SJ: Hopefully not you.

DG: Yeah, that wouldn't look so good. "I'm Debra from Last Comic Standing – take me!"

If Debra DiGiovanni were a stock, I'd be buying as many shares as I could afford.

My comedy sense tells me the next time I see her on stage, it'll be far from megaphone-toting security guards and I'll be sitting on a soft seat.
    Link: TheStar.com - living - Comic still on her feet
    If you type "google" into google you can break the internet.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast