+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Doug Benson - Season 5

From the corner of my eye Jewelsy's Avatar

Doug Benson - Season 5

Doug Benson
    Los Angeles, CA

"Getting into the top ten has changed my underwear. Because now I can afford to buy some new underwear."
    - DOUG BENSON upon learning he was a finalist.

If you find that you’re saying to yourself, “Boy, Doug Benson seems familiar, but I can’t quite place him,” please allow us to help. One way you might know Doug Benson is if you’ve ever thought about, read about, heard about or otherwise experienced...marijuana. He’s a creator/writer/star of “The Marijuana-Logues,” a show that’s been a hit (small pun intended) in theatres from Los Angeles to New York—more on that and the book of the same name in a moment. Oh, the other way you might’ve had an opportunity to become aware of Doug Benson is if you’ve ever watched television. Yeah, you heard right. We are indeed suggesting that Doug’s ubiquitous enough on TV—and has been for many years—that if you’ve flipped on the boob tube at any given moment, there’s a good chance you've seen him. We recognize we can’t just let a statement like that dangle there, unsupported. So here is your support, you pushy bastard. We don’t have enough room here to cite all of his TV credits, but here’s a small sampling that suggests the sprawling array of work he’s done on the small screen.

For your basic cable, let’s go with his series regular status on VH-1’s Best Week Ever (it may go without saying that in this category, he’s also starred in his own half-hour special for Comedy Central). For your premium cable, let’s see, let’s zero in on HBO and mention a couple of Doug’s credits here: Curb Your Enthusiasm and Mr. Show—merely two of the best, most revered series in the advent of televised comedy shows (okay, he was pretty much just an extra on MR. SHOW, but still!) As for his work on network TV, how does a little show called Friends grab you? Not to mention he has had recurring appearances on Jimmy Kimmel Live. Oops, almost forgot he was prominently featured on seasons 4 and 5 of NBC’s Last Comic Standing. We could go on, but we already have.

Still, we should briefly get back to this “Marijuana-Logues” business. When it was hatched by Doug and co-creators Tony Camin and Arj Barker, what in lesser hands might have just been a one-note, one-joke spoof of the then-red hot production, “The Vagina Monologues,” has since evolved into a red hot (smokin’?) production of its own, including a yearlong stint off-Broadway at The Actor’s Playhouse that drew a bong full of rave reviews. Now there’s a CD, The Marijuana-Logues and a book, The Marijuana-Logues: Everything About Pot That We Could Remember. In 2006, High Times Magazine named Doug the “Stoner of The Year.”
    "Among the blind, the squinter rules." ~ Gerard Didier Erasmus

Re: Doug Benson - Season 5

Doug got through! This is the best week ever!

"You don't rehearse Mr. T, you just turn him loose."
    -----Sylvester Stallone, on Mr. T-----

Re: Doug Benson - Season 5

I loved him drowning out Dante during the heckling challenge last night.
    Somehow he managed to make just babbling any old thing so he was louder than Dante very funny.
    I also liked how he turned the Women's Refuge joke Dante made around amnd when he said he "cante say' which person he wanted eliminated.

Pretty much everything he said and did got some degree of laughter out of me.
    "That's Numberwang!"

+ Reply to Thread