+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 7/25 Show Discussion **Spoilers**

Re: 7/25 Show Discussion **Spoilers**

I'm done. Bye-bye!

This show is toast.

FORT Newbie

I was interested in reading this Forum because some people here are in the biz and I wanted to hear their opinions. I was dismayed to see that because their opinions are different from that of the audience (and me), this causes them to show contempt for the audience like we're a bunch of idiots who don't know what's funny. Isn't the whole point of comedy to connect with the audience and make them laugh? If a stupid joke told poorly but at the right time and place is what makes the audience crack up, then I say that's good comedy!
    Some of the rejected comics touted here didn't make me laugh. Perhaps they are talented in some abstract way taught in comedy school, but they failed at the basic task of connecting with their audience. If they impress other pros but not the audience, then they're obviously not the best comics for this particular gig.
    Sympathy was expressed for a couple comics because their prepared material didn't match the mood created by the previous comics or was too similar to a joke told earlier. There is a simple solution to this problem, just tell a different joke! If a comic can't think on his feet and adapt to his audience in the moment, then he doesn't deserve to move on.
    Last edited by conedyfan; 07-26-2007 at 01:59 PM.

I don't care what anyone else thinks about comedy. It's all subjective anyway. Out of the 16 lst night I only really enjoyed 10 of them (which is better than the 9 from the night before). Out of the ten, 4 were part of the 5 that went forward. I also still think Sabrina was a lot better that some that made it through. Oh well, if we see a lot of head to heads with a lot of material, I'll be happy. I don't want to see the "house" stuff. If we are the best comic in the world, prove it and shut up!

The first guy to make it through kind of looked and sounded like John Heffron (former winner) to me, only not as funny. They could have put someone else in there. I thought the Australian woman should have gone through.

And the very large audience favorite winner was not particularly funny to me. He was very hard to understand, and I've heard enough fat jokes, thank you.

I really wonder if a lot of the ones who were picked had been pre-selected in that no matter how badly they bombed in the semi-finals they were guaranteed to go through to the next round. I was imagining their agents having to buy in to get their clients on the show, like pay an admission fee - don't they do that at poker tournaments?

Btw, I think they really missed the mark when they stopped putting the finalists in a house and showing us what happens in the house. Most of the funny stuff does not happen on stage.

I didn't like the majority of the ones they put through. I don't understand the reasons behind it and definitely think that agents have something to do with it. Also, do they have to put a certain percentage of comedians from other countries through so they can keep claiming that its an international thing? And the best comedian in the world is chosen?

What's their gimmick for next year, anyways? Universe?

Didn't think NC boy was funny, he was actually lame. Didn't think the little guy with the huge eyes was funny either. Gerry Dean bored the crap out of me and he got put through, figures. Can't remember the rest and don't want to.

Out of all of them Lavell was my favorite, however, I feel like I've heard his stuff before.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12