+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Hey, Keep It Going for Last Comic Standing: Episode One=Who ARE these people?

Re: Hey, Keep It Going for Last Comic Standing: Episode One=Who ARE these people?

One noticeable improvement over last year is the sheer force of energy being delivered by our new host—Bill Bellamy. Compared to last year’s overly made-up, stiff as cardboard and uncomfortable in the role of host Anthony Clark…Bill is doing what a good MC does, he’s getting our energy up and making us believe that we’re in for one heck of a show.
    I SO agree here. Clark was disgustingly bad. Bellamy is pretty good.

Jason is gay. It is unfortunate but too often true that gay stand-up comedians often talk about nothing other than being gay. (cough, cough, Ant, cough.)
    Also that Ant seemed to laugh at EVERY gay joke, even the bad ones.

The line is STILL stretching all the way to the stadium where Roy Hobbs is tearing the cover off the ball playing for the New York Knights.
    Holy obscure joke, Batman!

Meanwhile, Joe DeVito explained that he “never said he wanted to be rich and famous. I just want the power to crush people’s dreams. That’s all I want.”

On any other reality show, that’d make him the villain. On Last Comic Standing, you just want to reach through the tv and pinch his cheek. You go, Joe! Crush away!
    I also FREAKING LOVED THAT LINE!

It’s interesting—Gerry’s audition set isn’t super strong.
    At least what we saw of it sucked. Which means he got a free pass because of who he was basically. And another later, because I don't think his actual performance was all that great either.

Angela Mairorando-Thurston is up next talking about how people say she sounds like a lot of other people. Well, she looks like Carol Kane and sounds a little like Maria Bamford—so, I’m buying this. She says that people say she sounds a little like Darth Vader. To me, that’s pretty funny. She then acts it out…sounding not like the Sith Lord, but instead sounding like Lina Lamont (from “Singing in the Rain.”) The judges…not as charmed by this as I was...
    Maybe it was a gimmick... but I liked it to. Maybe it wasn't as good as a guy in a gorilla suit, but it was okay.

Bob.

Biggerstaff.
    I know!

Don’t get me wrong, I like Billy’s second joke far more than his dyslexic sign painter joke. But countless others were chased away within seconds of starting their 3 minutes without a helpful “why don’t you try a different approach” coaching.
    To me, while the 2nd jokes was BETTER, it was still... not that great. And his actual act later on was... okay. But far from the best. I think he was a producer pick for some reason.

Sabrina is the anti-Ant. Sabrina is as butch as lesbians come—you just know that she recently donated a bunch of leather vests to Goodwill because that time has past—but THAT’S NOT THE ONLY THING IN HER LIFE…in fact, that’s not even the most important thing to her. She does comedy about more than just being gay…not that she hides her being gay from anyone, it just doesn’t totally define her as a comedian.

And she’s damn funny.
    I wasn't familiar with her before this, but what I saw was pretty much genius. And she plays her stereotypical lesbian appearance as a single note in a much bigger act... but plays it masterfully. She's pretty much the very definition of "butch lesbian" in appearance, but she's a rounded person who seems to be funny on all fronts. As you say, the anti-Ant. Who like you, I also loathe.

Great recap job, oh comedic one! I recall commiserating along with you about Dat "beating" Dave in Season 1, and its good that we are both still here!

"You don't rehearse Mr. T, you just turn him loose."
    -----Sylvester Stallone, on Mr. T-----

In my own little world where all things are Idol......

Re: Hey, Keep It Going for Last Comic Standing: Episode One=Who ARE these people?

for an excellent first post pg13!

I missed the show so you provided everything I needed to help get me caught up!

Can't wait to read future re-caps!!!
    Reality is the beginning...not the end....Wallace Stevens

would rather be cruising! marybethp's Avatar

longest recap ever! and I thank you for it! I helps me keep all of these people straight!

Too much snark to quote

Thanks for a great recap - looking forward to more

Excellent debut recap, pg13 - especially loved the dirty secrets. Keep 'em comin'.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

Wow that was one long recap but boy was it worth it to sit here for 45 minutes and read it. I LOVED your behind the scenes secrets and insider information. Please keep writing!

Thanx for the insider & "joke" punchlines. Glad I didn't pay the $ for those. My husband's guessed the last one and had a better punchline for the tostada joke.

We're VERY bummed that Richard Ryder (no, I didn't get that one either) didn't make it, and Gerry Dee did. Didn't think he was funny last year, and think he's worse this year. And we didn't care for all his yelling (Joey are you listening?)

Great first recap pg13. Loved the insiders, please keep them coming!

Premium Member

Fabulous job, pg13. Thanks for your hard work!

Absolutely awesome job, pg13. You got the humor, the snark, the vivid detail--it was a delight to read. I really loved the inclusion of the "dirty secrets." Definitely keep 'em coming!

pg13 (or should you change it to pg16?), absolute pleasure reading your recap! Loved your inside snarknowledge! Appreciated that you spent your own $.99 to get the answers to the "wonderful" jokes-I only was able to guess the carrot one correctly. Sometime you'll have to explain why you don't like Ant. Or maybe you do secretly....

Please, sir,....can I have some...more?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast