+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: 6/13 'Premiere' Show Discussion Thread ***SPOILERS***

FORT Fogey

Re: 6/13 'Premiere' Show Discussion Thread ***SPOILERS***

First off Ant is annoying please do not bring him back again. Second, Kathleen we get you are a female comic, but a lot of women got through that were not funny, and a lot of men that were were passed over. Overall I love watching the show, but the judges are awful this year, and they never pick the ones I think are really funny.

A Montreal/Toronto radio personality was ranting this morning because she watched the show and recognized, when they showed the lineup outside, a lot of very funny comics from Montreal/Toronto who didn't even make it to the call back. I have to say I was disappointed by Alonzo. I never thought Ant and Kathleen were funny, so it didn't surprise me that they were laughing at boring jokes, but I really liked Alonzo in his season and expected more from him.

Speaking of Canadian comics, I was really hoping that Derek Edwards would try out since I believe he may be the funniest person on the planet. But since he gets on nearly every CBC comedy special and is opening for Craig Ferguson shortly, I guess he doesn't really need the "boost" LCS could ostensibly give him.
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

would rather be cruising! marybethp's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CrossingGuard;2439912;
    Awww, well that sucks. You're missing out on some good reality shows on each channel. Let me guess... DirecTV?
    not to threadjack, but DirecTV has always had fox reality (when FR started, DTV had it) and bravo.

Anyway, thought the show was entertaining and while like pg indicated it has an American Idol-ish quality with the 3 judges, I actually think they aren't as much falling into a certain role - while there's the gay/woman/black thing with them, I do think they want to find real comedy and I liked the approach. It's hard to tell if they were really laughing at the joke that was being told. That's the fun of editing.

I'm far from remembering names at this point, but I enjoyed the show. I did love the house aspect, but mostly in the first season because it felt so funny without effort, but this is a good change. Bill Bellamy is heads above Anthony Clark - I found him entertaining. (I loved his "I don't even know my Mama's name. Mama's her first name, Mama's her last name"....funny!)

Quote Originally Posted by bbnbama;2439914;
    Nope...Charter Communications! Blech and double Blech!

Its my only option.....I live in an apartment and we are not allowed to have dish satellite and Charter is the only one that services this area!
    bbnbama,

If you have a deck or a patio associated with your unit, that restriction is invalid.

FCC Fact Sheet on Placement of Antennas
    "I miss Darva Conger." - Phonegrrrl

This episode could have been better if they had spent less time interviewing the contestants in NY to leave enough time to let us hear the comics in San Antonio. There were a lot on that stage that we didn't get to hear from at all! Bad decision re. the timing, imo.

I'm not sure they needed to get former contestants to be the judges -- I thought the other two guys who did it before were fine. I'm not sure I like the new host either (I have no idea who he is, but he does not have a good "announcer voice"). I liked Jay Mohr.

I am very glad they are doing the show again, but hope they show us things that happen in the sequester house, as last season was totally boring, and what made the first season so great was all the stuff that happened in the house!

There was a woman who did not get through last time who I thought was very funny. I think she was from Canada, but she wasn't in the Canadian auditions. How can it be "funniest comic in the world" if they are only doing US, Canada, and, if I am remembering the previews correctly, Australia???

The one from Canada who did go through mentioned she had gotten a free trip to Montreal to the tryouts, so I think they were "recruiting" people. Not everyone was just whoever randomly decided to stand in line.

Got my dvr set up for taping tonite, thanks for the heads-up!

I still think there's too much politicking about who gets on the show instead of raw talent. I didn't think gorilla guy was all that funny, but I liked the ADD guy who "had a monkey wearing pants in his head, I'M SUPPOSED TO BE DRIVING!"

I did appreciate that they nixed a lot of vulgar humor, which is not humorous to me. I was hoping (convincing myself) that my teenager didn't understand a lot of the bleeped words.
    "Quotes on the internet may not be accurate." - Abraham Lincoln

FORT Fogey Add It Up Champion famita's Avatar

I enjoyed the funnies, but also can't understand someone auditioning who feel that they have to be blue to be funny. I'm not asking to see knock knock jokes, but I want human experience jokes. I also thought they should have had more go through. Don't they have the final audition in Vegas or LA?

Does the winner still have a shot on a comedy series? Maybe that's why they chose who they chose.

Quote Originally Posted by marybethp;2440106;
    not to threadjack, but DirecTV has always had fox reality (when FR started, DTV had it) and bravo.
    That's what I thought too, until my relatives subscribed to DirecTV a while ago. I was over at their house, and they only had Fox Reality.

everything under the sun lopevian's Avatar

I liked Deborah Di...can't remember. She was hysterical. Also the gay women whose Mom wished she were "frillier". These two were really funny, as were many others.

Bodin needs to remember he's looking for talented comedians, not comedians Alonso likes. To dismiss a genuinely funny comic because they weren't sick enough makes for a one dimensional judge.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast