+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: 7/25 Show Discussion **Spoilers**

The Imploding Voice jaggedjunkie's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by pg13 View Post
    ...and this is the inherent problem with Last Comic Standing.

I don't think that I've seen any HATRED for Michelle, JaggedJunkie... I know that she's been criticized for being Joan Rivers-y...but I think the general consensus is that people don't like Michelle or her act AS MUCH as they may like others, so therefore she should go...

I find it curious that because you find Michelle to be one of the funniest in the show...you've equated such dissenting opinions as HATRED? That's a LOT of emotional investment to put on this show...

Trust me...there were people who HAVE been hated on LCS. Talk to fans of Dave Mordal about how much they hated Dat Phan. Talk to fans of Dat Phan about how much they hated Rich Vos. Talk to people who hated Todd Glass's often shambling style. Talk to people who hated Ant for being repetitive and one note. Talk to people who hated Tammy Pescatelli for overplaying the alliance factor. Even this season, talk to people who, for the briefest moment, hated Stella Stolper in her fifteen seconds of infamy.

Now...I don't understand ANY of that. Hating people for being on a reality show??? (Oh--wait, I hate Omarosa, I hate Jonathon & Victoria, I hate Tiffani...ok, forget I said that...) But specific to this show...to LCS? You like who you like...they do comedy, they're trying to make you laugh...they're good for society. You don't have to hate someone for not making you laugh as hard as others make you laugh...

...but, the bottom line is that I don't think that anyone is hating Michelle. They just aren't laughing at her as hard as you are...

As far as Josh goes--he's certainly likeable...he's got a face that exudes silliness--a lot of people just look at his goofy smile and start laughing... And he works with the elephant in the living room--he HAS to joke about his condition, because if he doesn't...the entire audience will spend the entire time he's on stage THINKING about the fact that he's got Cerebral Palsy and they won't be paying attention to his material.

Comedy is about tension and release--a good joke is like popping a full balloon...the comedian builds the tension (blows up the balloon) and the punchline explodes that tension at just the right moment. Having a very obvious and visible medical condition causes inherent tension in the audience...it makes people a little uncomfortable, a little uptight...and Josh is good at both building up that tension...and in popping that tension with a well placed comment.

The lines that you don't like from Josh--the "thanks for your support" lines--are what we comedians call "savers"...you say them after you don't get the response you expected and you still get a laugh even if it isn't from the joke itself, but your reaction to the joke. Johnny Carson was brilliant at these. Now, what Josh does...is he sets up the audience to not react very strongly so he can deliver a pre-planned "saver" line...and the fact that he swings these back around to his condition and the discomfort the audience has in knowing how to react to his condition...is a very savvy technique.

Savvy technique or not--you're not required to like it...or laugh at it... Your criticisms are valid...as are your opinions about whose comedy you enjoy and whose comedy you're not a fan of... Just as other people's opinions about who they like or don't like are just as valid...

Now--what I found really telling about your post...was, that despite the fact that you felt that Chris had the strongest set in the last show...and that he made you laugh the most that night...that you're giving all of your votes to Michelle.

...and that, my friends, is why these last episodes are just drawing out the inevitable...that these performances really aren't Because America doesn't really vote for who they think is the funniest...they vote for who they like.

Nothing wrong with that...

...we should just keep that in mind when we try to give any bigger meaning to the results of this voting...

Respectfully,
    pg

Not that I feel I need to defend my post, and maybe the use of the word "hate" was strong in this case, just from skimming over the posts in the thread, there was a general theme - many thought Michele's act was weak. And that's where I ended up getting a feeling of dislike towards her. I couldn't care less if you feel that I misused the word, or that I'm falsely putting words in people's mouths, that's just the impression I got at first glance.

Secondly, I did feel that Chris had a funnier act that Michele. However, in terms on consistency over the entire season, I've found Michele made me laugh more than Chris did. That is where I am basing my vote. I feel offended that you said that I'm voting for who I like over who I think is funny. That's an insult to my intelligence. Although I do like Michele, to me she is the funniest. In the end, being the funniest and liking that person because they are funny are in essence the same thing. In my definition of "who is the funniest", I feel consistency is a far bigger factor than one act, or one joke, or one punch line. In the end, Michele has done it for me in terms of making me laugh. She succeeded. And for you to even hint at the fact that it makes my votes any less valid because I'm still voting for her even though I feel that suddenly one act was slightly funnier than her's one week is insulting.

Thirdly, in terms of Josh, I don't think I need to comment.
    Last edited by ShrinkingViolet; 07-27-2006 at 09:01 PM.

My argument, JJ, isn't so much with you...and I do apologize if you feel like I insulted your intelligence--as that was not my intention at all...but with how this show is being marketed, sold, programmed and promoted...

You've made your decision. Based on what you've seen on the show, your opinion is that Michelle is the funniest. You've voted for Michelle as the funniest.

But, until they got to the final five...your opinion of Michelle has been based on what clips the editors of the show felt you should see...and remember that this season was incredibly truncated compared to previous years. What you see as consistency is a product of that editing--as well as the simple fact that you've SEEN Michelle more than the others because this year's weird multi-person head-to-head (-to head and even -to head) had her on television performing more than the others.

This show CANNOT answer the question "Who is the funniest?" because it is a contaminated competition...and my take on the matter is that it is rather insane to make this tv show SEEM like it means more than it does...or to invest all that much emotion into the results.

It doesn't tell us who is the funniest...it simply gives us a reason to stare at a glass screen with colored lights flashing on it for 44 minutes on a Tuesday night and absorb the 16 minutes of commercials and announcements that it exists to present us with.

You've made your decision...and it sounds like that it doesn't matter who has a better set on any given night--you're going to vote for who you like...so, why is NBC bothering to drag this show out for two more weeks?

It's those 16 minutes of advertising...and it certainly has nothing to do with finding the funniest person...

pg

PS--I don't know how you read me say "Your criticisms are valid...as are your opinions about whose comedy you enjoy and whose comedy you're not a fan of..." and became insulted because I would "even hint at the fact that it makes (your) votes any less valid."

I think I was very clear that I was taking your comments as a springboard for discussion and that I gave you respect for your opinions. Discussion and even disagreement is not tantamount to being insulting.

Of course, you can disagree with that...and I can respect that...although, semantically, that puts us in a very weird space...

I didn't notice this until JJ quoted it, but it looks like part of a line got truncated from my previous post...

Quote Originally Posted by pg13 View Post
    ...and that, my friends, is why these last episodes are just drawing out the inevitable...that these performances really aren't Because America doesn't really vote for who they think is the funniest...they vote for who they like.

What it MEANT to read (and I thought it was how I sent it to be posted) was...

...and that, my friends, is why these last episodes are just drawing out the inevitable...that these performances really aren't going to change people's minds about what they already believe. Because America doesn't really vote for who they think is the funniest...they vote for who they like.

And I SHOULD have added "Because America doesn't really vote for who they think is the funniest ON THAT GIVEN NIGHT..."

Perhaps that would have made my original statement more clear.
    pg

I don't think Michelle is hated at all, I skimmed past the posts and only one person aired a strong negitive comment, most other people while noting she wasn't as funny as...either picked out a funny comment of hers or noted they thought she was funnier in previous shows.

I do have a problem with the show that it does come down to favourites rather then who is really funnier, because that is so subjective. In music you can discuss pitch, tone, strength of voice, in comedy you can look at material and pacing but really what I find screamingly funny will leave someone of another gender, another age, from another region or another race wondering what is so amusing about the comment. It's a flaw in the show, not a flaw within the person doing the voting.

I love stand up comedy, I watch the show to see the comedians. Shoot, I would enjoy a show just spotlighting different acts and ignoring the voting (oh wait, I already ignore the voting)
    I could go east, I could go west, it was all up to me to decide. Just then I saw a young hawk flyin' and my soul began to rise. ~Bob Seger

Anytime outsiders get to choose, the result will be based as much on popularity as competence. This is true for LCS, So You Think You Can Dance, and President of the US. The phrases "seems nice", "works hard", "has had a tough time getting to where s/he is" factor into the choices more often than not.

FORT Fogey
    Quote Originally Posted by adamperk View Post
    IMO, Ty was the most consistent of the performers. All had jokes that I laughed out loud to, although I found it hard to really laugh at any of Chris' jokes. I just don't find him funny.I think the best joke of the night was Josh's "disabled list" joke. But the rest of his act was at a 7 out of 10 level. Ty was a consistent 9 out of 10 throughout his act.
    Ty is definitely the most polished performer and could step right in and do a comedy special. I think Josh would struggle to come up with 30 minutes of material.

FORT Fanatic
    PG - your analyses are cool to read.

I like everyone who is left -but I do think it is time for Michelle to go. She comes up with something really clever sometimes - often through timing - but her observations are as old as the short girl's Olestra chips joke. Michelle seems to take a joke that has been around for a while and add one new observation to it that saves it - but doesn't make her stand out.

I love Josh. Love him. I don't see how he could possibly not center his routine on his CP. Comedians seem to be skilled at communicating in a clever and unexpected way their observances of the world. Josh is treated by everyone he comes in contact with as a disable person - so his perceptions and experiences are colored through that perspective. I think he is hilarious, and I'm totally rooting for him.

Chris is undeniably funny, but I agree with the poster who made a comment about his occassional descent into the creepy place. I like him when he's being the nerdy/stoner/slacker guy - not the pervy guy.

Ty was the only one who made me crack up loudly while I watched this episode by myself. I thought he was brilliant this week.

Roz seemed like a much nicer person in her exit interview and clips than she has on the show. I was really ready for her to go. I wonder now if she was playing a character - her onscreen persona - throughout the show and if that chilled me toward her.

FORT Fogey
    Quote Originally Posted by Aceon6 View Post
    Anytime outsiders get to choose, the result will be based as much on popularity as competence. This is true for LCS, So You Think You Can Dance, and President of the US. The phrases "seems nice", "works hard", "has had a tough time getting to where s/he is" factor into the choices more often than not.
    I don't like the public choosing the winner. If they weren't I would be pretty confident that Ty would win.

Lex
    I have seen the light and now understand what everyone has seen in Ty over the course of this show. His comedy is funny and smart. I ordered his CD and look forward to listening to it. I love that this show has exposed me to many different types of comics, some that I would not have checked out otherwise.

But this poses a problem for me. I now really like all of the four remaining contestants and will be pissed no matter who leaves this week.

Back to this week: I thought the performances, generally, were much better than last week. I especially think Chris picked up his game and nailed the coskit routine. And I laughed so hard at one of Josh's jokes that I had to run and tell my wife all about it. It was a very good show.

Roz - I'm kind of glad that she was eliminated, but kinda sad too. I think her jokes are very funny, but she needs to lower her volume. That's the only thing keeping me from buying any stand-up CD she makes. But I do hope that LCS has increased her profile enough for her to be super successful. She deserves it.

Gary Whoever - I wasn't fond of the guy who opened the show. He wasn't really funny... but one of his jokes was almost funny. The joke I'm thinking of was the college student one. The part where a hot college girl tries to seduce the professor to improve her grades is an old cliche, but I liked the twist that he instead told her to write a paper. I really liked where the jokes was headed, but I think he dropped the ending. It was a good build-up, but there was no punch to it. It made me wonder if that was a true story. In my experience as a writer, if you use a true story you can end up married to the actual event. You want to make the story entertaining for your audience, but if the actual events aren't as entertaining as they need to be you should jazz it up. So, the joke was a good idea, but it might have been actually funny if he came up with a really great end.

Next episode - I'm excited for Caroline Rhea's performance. I always liked her. But I'm sad that someone has to leave when I think all of them are great.
    "Ah don't hayave an acksent." - Kellie Pickler 2006

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234