+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 7/25 Show Discussion **Spoilers**

FORT Regular
    IMO, Ty was the most consistent of the performers. All had jokes that I laughed out loud to, although I found it hard to really laugh at any of Chris' jokes. I just don't find him funny.

I think the best joke of the night was Josh's "disabled list" joke. But the rest of his act was at a 7 out of 10 level. Ty was a consistent 9 out of 10 throughout his act.

Adam

For my taste, it was Chris, Josh, Ty then a big space to Michele. I agree with the earlier post that she's at a disadvantage having used a lot of material to get this far.

I just watched last night's episode (I can't believe it's up agaist Rockstar) and I have to say that I was quite disappointed that I have seen Gary Gulman do that material before. Isn't there some sort of rule of thumb that comics shouldn't do a particular set on television more than once? Sort of like not wearing the same dress to more than one awards ceremony.

Everyone else, well, also somewhat disappointed. At least Roz isn't yelling at me anymore.
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

FORT Newbie
    [QUOTE=Rattus;1981157]I just watched last night's episode (can't belieI ve it's up agaist Rockstar) and I have to say that I was quite disappointed that I have seen Gary Gulman do that material before. [/QUOTE

2 more examples of network exec stupidity. LCS and Rockstar share a lot of the same fans and neither show had done all that well in the ratings. Put them against each other and they both lose viewers, the only winners are every other network. I've been watching LCS because they came first and I'm boycotting Rockstar because I blame them for the scheduling gaffe.

Gary Gulman was a weird choice for opening act. My first reaction was this is just another example of inappropriate LCS nepotism because the producer is Gary's manager. so I was glad when Gulman bombed.
    Last edited by Pace; 07-27-2006 at 01:59 AM.

Gulman indeed bombed! Ty is the man to beat. I believe he'll win it. Josh may have the best joke but his overall act is not even up to par to Ty's. Chris, i'm not feeling him. He hasn't been that funny for two weeks now and Michelle was actually funnier than him both times. I think Chris will go next.

Team Renee//Team Sarah// DreamOf1000Cats's Avatar
    [QUOTE=Pace;1981600]
    Quote Originally Posted by Rattus View Post
    I just watched last night's episode (can't belieI ve it's up agaist Rockstar) and I have to say that I was quite disappointed that I have seen Gary Gulman do that material before. [/QUOTE

2 more examples of network exec stupidity. LCS and Rockstar share a lot of the same fans and neither show had done all that well in the ratings. Put them against each other and they both lose viewers, the only winners are every other network. I've been watching LCS because they came first and I'm boycotting Rockstar because I blame them for the scheduling gaffe.

Gary Gulman was a weird choice for opening act. My first reaction was this is just another example of inappropriate LCS nepotism because the producer is Gary's manager. so I was glad when Gulman bombed.

Oh Rockstar is WAY better than LCS this year. Especially since Kristen Key is gone.

Team Renee//Team Sarah// DreamOf1000Cats's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Aceon6 View Post
    This week may be more about fanbase than the actual material. There was something funny in every set. Do we have any quant jocks posting who care to take a stab at what the voter demographics might look like?

Women have always had a hard time finding a fanbase on this show, which as unfortunate as that is, its just the way people look at stand-up. I love women comics, I typically find them funnier -- but most of America likes male stand up.

I don't know if I like today's female comics better than yesterday's. I think Ellen and Elaine Boozler are among my favorites. Maybe because they're so sly (or can be sly) to throw in a zinger or two that I was not expecting. I want to be amazed freshly each and every time I see someone. I don't want to groan, I want to laugh and guffaw. I want to hear fresh ideas and thoughts, not ones I might have thought of or heard about from Joan Rivers 3 years ago. I know I could not get up there myself and be funny. I just want to be wowed. These comics just seem to be formulaic this year. ( Joke one. Slide to joke two. Maybe add a little to joke two. Go on to joke three. If they really laugh hard, slam them with joke four. But if they didn't get joke three, possibly move over to joke ten.) Or maybe that's the way it's supposed to be.

The Imploding Voice jaggedjunkie's Avatar
    I don't understand the hatred for Michele and the love for Josh. Josh is not funny. That's the bottom line. His act is horrible. It's not funny, he lacks any material whatsoever, and he overplays his "I have a disability" card. It's not that I'm cold hearted by any means, but to base your whole act on that is pretty pathetic IMO. And the constant "Thanks for your support" or w/e comments he makes throughout his act is lame. Come up with something funnier, then I'll vote for you Josh.

Michele is hilarious. I've loved her since the beginning. She has my votes to win. Her act had me laughing throughout.

Although I love Michele, Chris was the funniest that night. His act had me cracking up. I see him making it to the end.

Not picking on you, JaggedJunkie...you just sparked a thought...

Quote Originally Posted by jaggedjunkie View Post
    I don't understand the hatred for Michele and the love for Josh. Josh is not funny. That's the bottom line. His act is horrible. It's not funny, he lacks any material whatsoever, and he overplays his "I have a disability" card. It's not that I'm cold hearted by any means, but to base your whole act on that is pretty pathetic IMO. And the constant "Thanks for your support" or w/e comments he makes throughout his act is lame. Come up with something funnier, then I'll vote for you Josh.

Michele is hilarious. I've loved her since the beginning. She has my votes to win. Her act had me laughing throughout.

Although I love Michele, Chris was the funniest that night. His act had me cracking up. I see him making it to the end.
    ...and this is the inherent problem with Last Comic Standing.

I don't think that I've seen any HATRED for Michelle, JaggedJunkie... I know that she's been criticized for being Joan Rivers-y...but I think the general consensus is that people don't like Michelle or her act AS MUCH as they may like others, so therefore she should go...

I find it curious that because you find Michelle to be one of the funniest in the show...you've equated such dissenting opinions as HATRED? That's a LOT of emotional investment to put on this show...

Trust me...there were people who HAVE been hated on LCS. Talk to fans of Dave Mordal about how much they hated Dat Phan. Talk to fans of Dat Phan about how much they hated Rich Vos. Talk to people who hated Todd Glass's often shambling style. Talk to people who hated Ant for being repetitive and one note. Talk to people who hated Tammy Pescatelli for overplaying the alliance factor. Even this season, talk to people who, for the briefest moment, hated Stella Stolper in her fifteen seconds of infamy.

Now...I don't understand ANY of that. Hating people for being on a reality show??? (Oh--wait, I hate Omarosa, I hate Jonathon & Victoria, I hate Tiffani...ok, forget I said that...) But specific to this show...to LCS? You like who you like...they do comedy, they're trying to make you laugh...they're good for society. You don't have to hate someone for not making you laugh as hard as others make you laugh...

...but, the bottom line is that I don't think that anyone is hating Michelle. They just aren't laughing at her as hard as you are...

As far as Josh goes--he's certainly likeable...he's got a face that exudes silliness--a lot of people just look at his goofy smile and start laughing... And he works with the elephant in the living room--he HAS to joke about his condition, because if he doesn't...the entire audience will spend the entire time he's on stage THINKING about the fact that he's got Cerebral Palsy and they won't be paying attention to his material.

Comedy is about tension and release--a good joke is like popping a full balloon...the comedian builds the tension (blows up the balloon) and the punchline explodes that tension at just the right moment. Having a very obvious and visible medical condition causes inherent tension in the audience...it makes people a little uncomfortable, a little uptight...and Josh is good at both building up that tension...and in popping that tension with a well placed comment.

The lines that you don't like from Josh--the "thanks for your support" lines--are what we comedians call "savers"...you say them after you don't get the response you expected and you still get a laugh even if it isn't from the joke itself, but your reaction to the joke. Johnny Carson was brilliant at these. Now, what Josh does...is he sets up the audience to not react very strongly so he can deliver a pre-planned "saver" line...and the fact that he swings these back around to his condition and the discomfort the audience has in knowing how to react to his condition...is a very savvy technique.

Savvy technique or not--you're not required to like it...or laugh at it... Your criticisms are valid...as are your opinions about whose comedy you enjoy and whose comedy you're not a fan of... Just as other people's opinions about who they like or don't like are just as valid...

Now--what I found really telling about your post...was, that despite the fact that you felt that Chris had the strongest set in the last show...and that he made you laugh the most that night...that you're giving all of your votes to Michelle.

...and that, my friends, is why these last episodes are just drawing out the inevitable...that these performances really aren't Because America doesn't really vote for who they think is the funniest...they vote for who they like.

Nothing wrong with that...

...we should just keep that in mind when we try to give any bigger meaning to the results of this voting...

Respectfully,
    pg

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast