Thread: Last Comic Standing Renewed For Fifth Season

Quote Originally Posted by bbnbama;2225083;
    Here's a picture of him:

and his website:

Bill Bellamy
    Bill Bellamy was on the show Fastlane.
    Last edited by Cornedbeef; 02-02-2007 at 09:46 AM. Reason: Read link

would rather be cruising! marybethp's Avatar
    LCS is upping the ante to $250K , a 1/2 hour special on Bravo (it was Comedy Central at one time) and a talent contract with NBC. I like how Ant, Kathleen Madigan and Alonzo Bodden are the ones searching for the talent. I like that idea

futon critic article

I've got a gorgeous hubby simplechef's Avatar
    I am so glad this show is coming back! I'd love to get to know more about the contestants. The season with Alonso and Kathleen Madigan was my favorite. I hope they'll do more with the challenges this year. I look forward to it. Adding international flavor is a good idea.. just to mix it up.

Ant has no business judging anyone for anything ever.

Quote Originally Posted by marybethp;2257084;
    I like how Ant, Kathleen Madigan and Alonzo Bodden are the ones searching for the talent. I like that idea
    Why?

Seriously, why would LCS taking on exact approximations of the American Idol process be a good idea?

Alonzo=Randy, Kathleen=Paula, Ant=Simon

There's no house at all this year. They're definitely trying to import the AI formula to LCS--and as a stand-up, I don't think that works.

The stories that have come out of the audition process from those that have put themselves through it are nightmarish--with Ant nearly out of control in his egomaniacal desire to quickly gong performers with a lame quip...

And even the two far more respected comics, Alonzo & Kathleen, are forced into the roles of trying to tell other comedians what they should be doing--which is always going to be awkward because comedy is far more subjective than music is...

I'm going to watch the show--as a comic, I'm intrigued...even if it's a total sham and a massive trainwreck--but for those of you who are watching this just as entertainment...know that behind the scenes there's a massive amount of shadiness and the show is awash with bad ideas...

pg--But replacing Anthony Clark with...well, anyone, really...is not one of those bad ideas...and if Bill Bellamy can recapture the charm and vitality he had back in the 90's, it'll be a vast improvement...and it'll make me yelling and cursing at the screen while watching the show this summer a little less insufferable--seattle

Re: Last Comic Standing Renewed For Fifth Season

I liked the first and second seasons of this show, for the most part. The third was okay, because it had the same comedians, save unfunny Bonnie McFarlane; we got unfunny Jessica Kirzon instead. And, of course, those first two seasons gave us Buck Star. However, I wished that NBC hadn't rushed it into production, because it was always meant as a summer show. Dat Phan and Todd Glass just aren't going to pull viewers away from their regular fall schedules, not even with Dave Mordal and Rich Vos behind them. I only watched because I had nothing else to watch on that night, and then NBC goes and slaps me in the face by airing the final on Comedy Central, which I didn't have at the time.

Season four was really disappointing because it didn't even feel like the same show. The film look rather than videotape was one change that made it seem detached and more like a documentary about comedians rather than a reality TV series. And the fact that Rebecca Corry was their idea of funny made me question their criteria. I don't know that I'll watch season 5 because of it; that, and because I'll miss the finale, anyway, since I don't have Bravo.

LCS returns June 13th... 9/8 central

And I'd give the title to whoever manages to rip that stupid rug off Ant's stupid head.

pg

PS--I've seen some spoilers, I've read some reports...I've seen some friends of mine on the clips they're showing on NBC. But what most people are talking about so far? Mel Silverback, from Canada.

He's a comedian...in a gorilla suit...whose act would be as if he was a gorilla.

Yes. I'm saying that's a good thing. Weird, huh?

From the official site:

NBC’s lively laughfest "Last Comic Standing" returns this summer with new host Bill Bellamy ("Def Comedy Jam," "Any Given Sunday"), new talent scouts -- "Last Comic Standing" alumni Alonzo Bodden, ANT and Kathleen Madigan – and an all new quest -- to find the funniest new comedian in the world.

For the first time ever in the history of the show, the Emmy-nominated series broadens its scope by searching internationally for the world’s funniest comedian. The fun kicks off with scouts Alonzo Bodden (season 3 winner), ANT and Kathleen Madigan traveling across the globe to find the best professional and aspiring comedians. They stop in London, Montreal and Sydney, Australia, before moving on to Los Angeles, New York, Minneapolis, San Antonio and Tempe.

After the auditions come the semi-final rounds, in which comics engage in a fiercely funny and fast-paced competition to be one of the top finalists. Then each week, America will vote which comedian gets sent home – and which one will be the "Last Comic Standing." The grand prize winner will receive $250,000, plus an exclusive talent contract with NBC Universal and his or her own half-hour comedy special on Bravo.

"Last Comic Standing" is produced by Peter Engel Productions, Magical Elves and NBC Universal Television Studio. The executive producers are Peter Engel ("Saved By the Bell," "City Guys"), Dan Cutforth and Jane Lipsitz (Bravo's "Project Runway" and "Top Chef") and Barry Katz ("Action," "Dane Cook's Tourgasm"), and Javier Winnik ("Last Comic Standing," "Treasure Hunters") is the co-executive producer.
    "That's Numberwang!"

I will always be suspicious of this show, because of Drew Carey and Brett Butler and their outrage that the talent wasn't as important as the drama (and who was whose agent).

And yet, I will be watching. sigh.
    "Quotes on the internet may not be accurate." - Abraham Lincoln

Count me in on watching too. Some of the previews looked funny while others made me want to groan. I keep swearing off this show but always go right back (at least for the first few eppies!) soon as it comes on to see if they found somebody I like enough to stick it out with them.

FORT Fogey

The first season was so funny, well, until Dave got kicked off, which was a total farce. Even season 2 had its share of laughs, but after that, I lost interest. Last season, I saw a couple of episodes, but didn't care about any of the comics and didn't think the show was any good.

Part of the appeal of the first season was the house and the casualness of the humor when they weren't on stage. And to put them in those situations and see how they could find humor in such simple daily things, I loved it.

I guess I won't be watching this season. Sounds like there's no reason to bother...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast