+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Opinions on pro comedians trying out for this show...

Opinions on pro comedians trying out for this show...

I am mixed, overall I feel they are funnier BUT when you have 2 tickets for a city and they have a handful of people who have been doing this for awhile I kinda feel weird rooting for 'em. I do feel the judges try and look beyond that a bit and bring some of the outsiders in as well but the LA tryout was like 50/50.
    Thoughts?

I don't mind the "pros" trying out at all. This show is not really about finding "new" talent, as much as it is about letting America know about undiscovered talent. Case in point is the 19 year old girl from I forget where (L.A. maybe?) who was disappointed that she didn't move on, but took the attitude of "I'm young, I got exposure, I'll do fine". In Chicago there was a guy named Larry Reeb who I know has been doing standup for a long time, and he is pretty well known in the area, but not really nationally. He is hilarious...I've seen his show and it was side splitting. I would consider him a pro, but he only has fame in the Chicago area. I would have had no problem with him getting some more national exposure, since I think a lot more people would like his stuff, not just Chicagoans.
    "You don't own a TV?!? What's all your furniture pointed at?" Joey Tribianni

It's not who you are underneath, but what you do that defines you.

Caged Mah Jongg Solitaire Champion Maveno's Avatar
    I dunno.

I wasn't happy to see "seasoned" comedians get on stage.. but, to be honest, none of them were "slap-knee and lose your breath funny" anyway. In which, I sorta expect with someone who's been doing it for years. Maybe they NEED this competition to get better.

It did bother me to a certain extent, because.. really, this is about (IMO) untapped humor, new blood and a contest for those who are best at it. So, in a way.. it's an unfair advantage to any other contestants. I find that unfair.
    The fact that they're comfortable (or semi) with the stage and cameras, have a plethora of material that they've honed for years and that they're recognized (for the most part).. is what I find unfair.

So I won't root for any "professional" comedian to win this.
    All things beautiful do not have to be full of color to be noticed; in
    life that which is unnoticed has the most power.

I see this show as being more like Top Chef or Project Runway. If they were all complete amateurs, it would be a lot duller. It's interesting to me to see people with skill compete, and I think for stand-up comedians part of that is having enough hours of stage time under their belts to have a good presence.

I don't mind, as long as they're funny. I loved the college student who's mother was a shopoholic a lot better than I liked "Skippy", but maybe they're just editting to show a difference. Who knows.

Quote Originally Posted by Maveno View Post
    because.. really, this is about (IMO) untapped humor, new blood and a contest for those who are best at it. So, in a way.. it's an unfair advantage to any other contestants.
    Hmmm, I dunno, Mav. I would guess that 99% of the comedians that have moved on to the next round are, at some level, professional. If this show was really about untapped comedians, I would expect them to be going to open mic nights undercover instead of holding open auditions in several cities around the country. At some point, these comedians have got to already have a proven act, a proven stage presence, and enough material to have a diverse act of at least 5 minutes.

While I don't expect (and would be upset if it did happen) someone like Dennis Miller, Jerry Seinfeld, or Brian Regan to audition for this show, I also wouldn't want Joe off the street whose grandma said he was funny to audition either. I want to laugh...not suffer in agony.

And of course, that's just my opinion!
    "You don't own a TV?!? What's all your furniture pointed at?" Joey Tribianni

It's not who you are underneath, but what you do that defines you.

Caged Mah Jongg Solitaire Champion Maveno's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mrdobolina View Post
    Hmmm, I dunno, Mav. I would guess that 99% of the comedians that have moved on to the next round are, at some level, professional. If this show was really about untapped comedians, I would expect them to be going to open mic nights undercover instead of holding open auditions in several cities around the country. At some point, these comedians have got to already have a proven act, a proven stage presence, and enough material to have a diverse act of at least 5 minutes.

While I don't expect (and would be upset if it did happen) someone like Dennis Miller, Jerry Seinfeld, or Brian Regan to audition for this show, I also wouldn't want Joe off the street whose grandma said he was funny to audition either. I want to laugh...not suffer in agony.

And of course, that's just my opinion!
    I can agree with that too.

I think that's why I started that post with an "I dunno".
    All things beautiful do not have to be full of color to be noticed; in
    life that which is unnoticed has the most power.

I'm mixed about it also. I know that there isn't really a lot of vehicles for any stand up to get national recognition besides LCS. There's nothing else like it in the comedy world(as far as I know). Some tour for years a virtual unknowns. I had seen a couple of comedians on comedy central. Some of them I recognized, but couldn't remember there names. LCS will make them household names. I have even seen Skippy perform before....many many years ago. He has been doing stand for a long time. I understand why the comedians want to be a part of LCS. Corey Kahaney had already had a comedy special from LCS1. Rich Vos had performed for more than 15 years, and had a comedy CD out. So we have seen pro's before on this show. I personally, just want to hear good comedy.
    In the 60's, people took acid to make the world weird.
    Now the world is weird and people take Prozac to make it normal.

I don't mind professionals if we get them on the level of Dave Mordal.
    Always looking for cat treats!

Breathe out, so I can breathe you in...

LG.
    I think it all comes back to why LCS is not American Idol. When people think that they are good singers, but really they suck at it, it is funny. Yes, cruel I know, but it is. However when people think they are funny, but really suck at it, they aren't good singers. It's just terrible and not entertaining.

For this show to work, they need good quality commedians. As prior posters have pointed out, there isn't really one good "outlet" for currently working comics to get national exposure besides this, so why not let them have a chance to boost their career - and our summer viewing entertainment?
    Help fight cystic fibrosis or just learn more about it at the cystic fibrosis foundation website, www.cff.org and help give my little guy a better future.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast