+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Opinions on pro comedians trying out for this show...

Premium Member
    I have to admit, it does feel weird watching the audition episodes and seeing so many comedians that I have watched on Comedy Central's "Premium Blend" or other half hour specials. Now, if LCS were to air on Comedy Central, it would make more sense to me, perhaps.

It's just that I am used to shows with relative unknowns applying to be on; not used to seeing so many people I already recognize. I suppose if I was made aware of what the requirements/limitations to be on this show were, it might distract me less. Otherwise, I keep wondering why, for example, a Dane Cook type comedian doesn't just show up to win easy money/more notoriety.

I don't like seeing those that I have seen on TV for years in various capacities.

The comedians that have been paying their dues for years on the comedy circuit are fine with me.

He activates my yummy!!!! yourefired's Avatar
    This could lead to another question. Does Theo Vonkurnatowski have an unfair advantage over the rest because he's been on MTV so much? I've never watched the show before but saw imminent boredom this summer if I didn't latch on to something besides Big Brother. I noticed Theo, the Road Rules stud, and I immediately thought he'd be at an advantage if the viewers vote (i.e. American Idol). He's got an automatic fan base already with the MTV loyalists who keep watching these challenges. Is that fair to the relative unknowns.

On a side note, it's smart of the producers to put someone like him on because it gives the show a whole new demographic. It would be almost like Rock Star putting on Ace Young's brother (which I've heard might happen) just to target the tweens who love Ace.

But since I don't know how this show works yet, I don't know if he has a real advantage or if that crowd would even vote for him in the first place.
    Last edited by yourefired; 06-06-2006 at 05:49 PM.

FORT Fogey
    Quote Originally Posted by hepcat View Post
    I see this show as being more like Top Chef or Project Runway. If they were all complete amateurs, it would be a lot duller. It's interesting to me to see people with skill compete, and I think for stand-up comedians part of that is having enough hours of stage time under their belts to have a good presence.
    I agree. A green comic would be painful to watch. It takes years of practice in comedy clubs, testing material and style, to pull an act together worthy of sponser support on a major network. This show would fail without seasoned comics as would Project Runway with contestants who were not skilled in pattern making and design.

Some contestants on AI are professionals as well.

These shows do not claim to be seeking people who have never made money doing their craft. And that defines a professional, money changing hands.

FORT Fogey
    I thought Bil Dwyer was funny and looked familiar. Then I checked out his bio and, I have to say, I'm disappointed that someone with that much TV experience, and a game show host where they usually get to adlib a lot, would be able to compete with a 19 year old college student or a 20 year veteran of the comedy club circuit who's never appeared on TV.

But I think veterans and pros are two different things. I think it would be nice if they limited the contestants to people who have not been on a game show host, not had a special on comedy central or any other TV channel, not appeared as regulars on TV shows for the past 15 years.

That would give us all the regional talent on national TV and should keep the jokes coming at a pretty good clip, while keeping everyone on a level playing field.

And Anthony Clark annoys me.

would rather be cruising! marybethp's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Melsevene View Post

But I think veterans and pros are two different things. I think it would be nice if they limited the contestants to people who have not been on a game show host, not had a special on comedy central or any other TV channel, not appeared as regulars on TV shows for the past 15 years.

That would give us all the regional talent on national TV and should keep the jokes coming at a pretty good clip, while keeping everyone on a level playing field.
    I have to agree here. I have no problem with regional comedians trying to gain further exposure. I was quite familiar with Rich Vos and Jim Norton (who ended up leaving LCS1) whereas some others weren't.

Ultimately, this is a television show. They want people to be able to sit in front of the tv for an hour and be entertained. Bombing fresh comedians isn't really funny (well, past the first 5 minutes!). I would rather see someone who is good, consistently funny and who has some experience actually further themselves and compete against others like them, than a really newbie comedian who will need more than 3 months on a reality show to make them good all the while telling mediocre jokes.

Well, you know, none of them looked familiar to me this time, but I did notice at least three of them the first season who I was hearing on a regular basis during that time on the Opie & Anthony radio show. Rich Vos, of course; Jay Mohr was always on their show; I'm quite sure Jimmy Norton "tried out" for LCS the first season; Paul Mercurio, I believe (maybe Jim Breuer too or instead of?); those are all off the top of my head. They were all in the same radio clique at that time. So I think I felt it was unfair because I knew of all these guys, yet was thrilled Vos got in the house that season because he's just so entertaining (and smolderingly sexy, I thought).
    Last edited by shaynas_mom; 06-07-2006 at 08:37 PM.

I will be disappointed if Bil Dwyer makes it into the house. He would have been a much better host for the show than Anthony Clark. I thought they couldn't do worse than Jay Mohr and I was proven wrong.

I couldn't believe that Bil Dwyer was an actual contestant; I thought he was a guest celebrity comedian until they selected him.

FORT Fogey
    I don't mind seeing professionals on the show.

What I do hate is this: If they are going to pick professionals anyway, quit this stupid "open casting call" stuff. We don't need to sit through all that "look how many people slept on the sidewalk just to be here" stuff. Just cut to the chase and let the pros audition.

I hate it when reality shows think they can just push the viewing audience around.

FORT Newbie
    all of the comics every season were already professionals. Trust me, you don't want to watch a show with a bunch of open micers. Stand-up takes a long time to perfect an act. Everybody still considers Dat Phan "the new guy", but he was performing for 8 years BEFORE the first season. That's the new guy. That 19 year old girl, Kaitlin Columbo, started when she was 13.
    Todd Glass was headlining at the Hollywood Improv the weekend they did the season 2 auditions there. Gabriel Inglas (sic) headlines all over the country.

you will never get non-professionals. The closest you'll get is non-headliner - which a lot of the guys are.

I haven't watched this season, but I already know the final 5. The entire show is a fraud and a waste of time. go to your local comedy club. You'll see all these guys eventually plus many more who didn't bother to audition.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast