+ Reply to Thread
Page 17 of 19 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141516171819 LastLast

Thread: 5/30 Show Discussion **spoilers**

Quote Originally Posted by Celestique View Post
    Did Theo/Road Rules guy make it through?
    Yes he did
    Whenever you see darkness, there is extraordinary opportunity for the light to burn brighter.
    -Bono

Quote Originally Posted by nervousing View Post
    Bill Dwyer is hilarious. He was my favorite on the I love the 80's/90s.
    I love his kind of humor. The red-blooded American tell it like it is with a little bit of cynicism thrown in.
    Well, that the Dave Mordal school of comedy... except... Dwyer really has to prove he's as good as Mordal--and that's not easy.

"You don't rehearse Mr. T, you just turn him loose."
    -----Sylvester Stallone, on Mr. T-----

FORT Newbie
    Bob and Ross did an awesome job! They picked everyone and to deal with all the craziness. Now we get to see the best of the worst in every episode! Who wants to see that? I do! Bring on the best of the worst!!!!

FORT Newbie
    Bob and Ross picked all these people do you think they are likeable? Do you think they put up with a lot???? I love them who loves Bob & Ross???

Greetings FORTskateers,

Some of you remember me from discussions of previous LCS seasons (and a couple of you might have noticed my long ass posts in TAR or PR threads...) Heck, I even got into an online argument with Sean Kent from Season 1 (and met up with Sean at a comedy club here in Seattle last year to apologize...) I've worked with Mordal, Heffron, Kahaney, and Pescatelli...

This is going to be a difficult season for me to watch. I have good friends who waited in line and were seen by Bob & Ross...a couple in LA, a couple in Tempe, a couple in Austin and a couple in Chicago... I saw a couple of friends on tonight's show...and a couple of people I know received red envelopes on tonight's show (one of whom is not a fan of mine...and let's just leave it at that...)

But, being in the industry has let me in on a few of the show's secrets...I've already heard more than a few spoilers...and I've found that I find most of the time the show is on yelling at the tv rather than enjoying myself.

For that reason, I'm probably not going to get TOO involved in the discussions regarding this year's season. I'd be happy to answer questions though...

...as in "where have you seen Bil Dwyer before?"--Could be from his Comedy Central Presents special...but you probably remember him best either as being the host of "Battlebots!" or "Extreme Dodgeball."

..."was that John Roy from "Star Search?"--Sure was...

..."what's the deal with Buck Star?"--Good sources indicate that he's a production assistant for NBC...I can't believe they rehashed the schtick again this season.

..."isn't this show supposed to be about newcomers to comedy?"--No.

Performers you saw tonight who have already had Comedy Central Presents specials of their own include: Tig, Ty Barnett, Jimmy Pardo, Gabriel Iglesias, Bil Dwyer, Doug Benson, Scott Kennedy, Kyle Cease

Performers you saw tonight who have already been on Premium Blend: Gabriel Iglesias, Jimmy Pardo, Doug Benson, Tig, Brody Stephens, Scott Kennedy, Roz, J. Chris Newberg, Ty Barnett, Jon Fisch, John Roy, David Huntsberger

Plus...Larry Reeb, Chip Chinery and Mark Price were all on the old A&E's An Evening at the Improv...Angel Salazar was headlining a night that Jerry Seinfeld dropped in on in the movie "Comedian."

"...what was up with the audition process?"--the main focus was to weed out the open call people--as they already had selected specific pros to be pushed to the front of the line and guided through the process as a formality, because it was known that these performers would be able to work the call back audience. So, Jimmy Pardo didn't really need to "wow" Bob & Ross in the daytime audition... For the rest of the people waiting in line (or in the case of Chicago, the people who showed up the night before, got a number...as the people who showed up the day of the open call were out of luck)--they would get a minute or so to gather enough footage for the "idiots & oddities" you saw tonight...maybe someone would actually catch the eye of Bob & Ross, but most would be told "you've got good jokes, you're just not ready for the show." You heard that phrase a couple of times tonight...evidently, it was an oft-spoken refrain...

..."I've heard complaints about previous years being 'rigged'--how about this year?"--Well, EVERY reality show creates storylines...every reality show exploits drama...and anyone who thinks that LCS is about pitting the comedy skills of one performer against another is going to be disappointed, no matter the format. A lot of the previous complaints about the show were lodged about performers being connected with Jay Mohr somehow...or with the show's executive producer (and famous comedian manager) Barry Katz. It SEEMS like there's less conflict of interest in this season--but there's also a certain level of disingenuousness still inherent in the show (--like Bob & Ross not knowing what show Mark Price was originally on? My bull [mod edit] meter went off on THAT one.)

Also know that this season is being overseen by the Top Chef/Project Runway team (a change from years past.) You can see that a cast is being assembled for their storylines, their ability to create conflict with other cast members...and that certain scenes and scenarios are being edited a la Top Chef and Project Runway to create traditional reality show false drama... (Which, I know, we must all love since we're here at the FORT, right? )

All I'm saying is...don't be surprised when they have the alcohol fueled reunion show...and don't be surprised if someone who you shouldn't think should stay on the show because you "hate" them ends up lasting far longer than you'd think they would... Par for the Project Runway/Top Chef course is pretty much what we can expect from LCS IV.

And, remember...unless you see a performers act from beginning to end...and unless you can tell if the audio has been sweetened...you really DON'T have a good take on how funny someone actually was... What you have is the editor's choice for how someone is going to be portrayed...and since comedy depends on timing and reactions (good AND bad) can be faked so easily...just assume that you're always being manipulated by editing and try not to "believe" in what you see or hear (at least...don't be too "absolute" about it.)

I'm watching this year because I like seeing some of my friends...and because we comics are going to bitch about this for the next couple of years and I'd better know my stuff... Good luck to the rest of you watching this for what you think is the drama of the show--I hope you're not as hoodwinked as I'm worried you might be...

pg--seattle
    Last edited by Mariner; 05-31-2006 at 10:39 AM.

FORT Fogey
    I am disappointed. A lot of screamers this season. There were a few calm ones that have potential, perhaps. I have my eye on the young guy with the black mustache.

pg -

Interesting comments. Thanks for sharing the info.

I've said every season on this show....How does ANYONE judge funny? Funny is relative. You either like that style of humor, or you don't. I happen to love the deadpan and sarcastic and dry and political humor the best, but the person next to me might enjoy British humor and so on..

I can't believe I'm watching this again, I swore I wouldn't (mostly because Anthony Clark is painful to listen to), but here I am I did laugh at a few jokes, I hope the 'staged drama' is more entertaining.

What they need to do is put a Big Brother camera in the house!!
    They serenaded the newest champs in this city of champs, and taunted Kobe Bryant and his Lakers, who drowned in a green-and-white wave for 48 minutes.

i love wiggins, i wish he had made it

My favorites so far are Josh Blue...the CP guy. I was laughing so hard I was crying. I love that little preview they showed of him..."just so you know, you are all going to hell for laughing at me." My other favorite is the lady that said she went to the gym with a cassette player and they thought she had a bomb strapped to her. Is that "Penny Marshall II"?

FORT Fan

Season 4

Quote Originally Posted by pg13 View Post
    ..."I've heard complaints about previous years being 'rigged'--how about this year?"--Well, EVERY reality show creates storylines...every reality show exploits drama...and anyone who thinks that LCS is about pitting the comedy skills of one performer against another is going to be disappointed, no matter the format. A lot of the previous complaints about the show were lodged about performers being connected with Jay Mohr somehow...or with the show's executive producer (and famous comedian manager) Barry Katz. It SEEMS like there's less conflict of interest in this season--but there's also a certain level of disingenuousness still inherent in the show (--like Bob & Ross not knowing what show Mark Price was originally on? My bull [mod edit] meter went off on THAT one.)
    I've been disappointed often with the progress of the series. There's lots of evidence that many of the finalists are connected with NBC and VH1 in one way or the other. I actually stopped watching halfway into last season, and 3rd way into the season before that. Because? I notice some some disingenuity and typical reality show manipulation.

I tuned in on Tuesday because I like seeing the myriad of performers and their different styles. I will watch every week... until i feel they're insulting their audience or everyone I like or consider funny has been eliminated.

So far so good.

+ Reply to Thread