+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: 9/21 New Show Discussion **Spoilers**

MOD EDIT TO REMOVE BAITING

Doing the same routine every time and stealing another comics material, "Margret Chao", does not make you a comedian and should definitively not entitle you to winning a show about being the funniest person.
    Last edited by LG.; 09-23-2004 at 03:57 PM.

I thought Ralphies set was close to over the edge, but didnt quite cross that line. No worse than what Chris Rock does on stage. Hell even Dat Phan is more racist with the voice I do think its funny though that NBC quickly panned to asians in the crowd to show them laughing.

Season 2 is winning because they have done better. They are funnier than season 1. When you got tere Joyce, Geoff Brown, and Sean Kent going out there its tough to win the 50k. N o offense to them but they prob didnt pull in mnay votes Im pretty sure Tere prob pulled in a 0, when you know there were votes for all of Season 2's cast.

Oh and Carrot Top was funny. Paris Hiltons panties with the guest book. Come on that was some quality stuff.

FORT Fogey
    I think Dave is funny, but not my favorite set, I love Dat, but this is a comedy show not a personality show, and Ralphie well just not my cup of tea. I love John Heffron and his comedy. He just has that aura when he comes out that makes me laugh without even trying. I cannot stand Kathleen and Jay is so redundant that I am so hoping he goes so I don't have to hear it again.

My hopes Dave and John move on, will be ok with Dat though.

dvm
    Get off the hate train.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ralphie May
    Wolf,

I killed last year in Vegas at the Paris I got a standing O in a 4 minute set, and came in second.

I have no problem with criticism, I was just correcting something that was attributed to me the "slant eye" comment that DVM made.

Ralphie
    I give it to you that you didn't say "slant eyes" but you pulled up at the corner of your eye-- making the body movement for "slant eyes". Anyways, to me that is just the same if not worse than saying it. I took offense because I've had to deal with that sort of prejudice my whole life. Maybe it's just personal, but whatever. If you feel good about yourself and every in the room laughed, than I'm very happy for you. I just wanted to point out that it didn't bode well for the entire viewing audience.

Pea
    FORT Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by dvm
    I give it to you that you didn't say "slant eyes" but you pulled up at the corner of your eye-- making the body movement for "slant eyes". Anyways, to me that is just the same if not worse than saying it. I took offense because I've had to deal with that sort of prejudice my whole life. Maybe it's just personal, but whatever. If you feel good about yourself and every in the room laughed, than I'm very happy for you. I just wanted to point out that it didn't bode well for the entire viewing audience.
    See, I took that part of Ralphie's act to be him ragging on the racists who figure it's easy to pick on Asians as they are more easily identifiable (according to the racists)...not Ralphie himself referring to Asians that way.
    Pea

DVM, I caught the *slanty eye* move as well.

Ralphie, I guarantee that there was a helluva lot of viewers that didn't get that you were actually MOCKING stereotypes rather than perpetuating them. If that's who you are, whatever...I thought the material was offensive regardless of your intent.

Your set didn't kill in my living room, and apparently not in some other posters' living rooms. But since you don't care if you get voted off, I guess it doesn't matter.

Incidentally, I appreciate that you and Sean Kent have taken the time to post and discuss the show and your respective acts with us. Thank you.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

FORT Fan
    [QUOTE=totalwreckage]I thought Ralphies set was close to over the edge, but didnt quite cross that line. No worse than what Chris Rock does on stage. Hell even Dat Phan is more racist with the voice I do think its funny though that NBC quickly panned to asians in the crowd to show them laughing.[QUOTE]

Thank you!! I couldn't have said it better myself - Dat Phan can make fun of Asians and his mother to no end without a word....Alonzo can get pretty down and dirty making fun of white people (and young gymnists), and no one says a thing......so why the gang up on Ralphie May?? It's Last Comic Standing, not last offended person bickering.

So just because you think that Ralphie is the funniest, we should all vote for him? I don't think it works that way.

Time and time again, we have to repeat that comedy is Subjective.
    What is funny to some people is not funny to others. I don't think that too hard to comprehend.

Imo, politically Incorrect Humor can offend or make people laugh depending on the delivery.

FORT Fan
    Well I really would hope it didn't work that way - I'd be pretty surprised if people voted for someone because they were under the assumption that I was saying that they should vote for someone in particular as opposed to just thinking I was giving my opionion - and I would think that isn't too hard to comprehend.

DAyum...just lost all respect for Ralphie. I thought only immature kids at school would make stereotypical comments like "and Asians..yeah they got the eyes."

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast