+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Gary Gulman-Season 2

Quote Originally Posted by FringeFan
    I don't get why so many people here hate Gary. His demeanor is the same every time, and his material may not be the most groundbreaking stuff, but that doesn't make him unfunny. He has some solid observational humour, and it is usually funny.
    The reverse of adoration is not necessarily hatred. I think he's boring. That's not hatred--it's a statement that I have trouble believing that he's even within the 50 funniest comics in the country, muchless that he was THIRD last season.

Has he ever evoked a chuckle? Sure. The very first time I saw him doing to "talking to his food as if it were a person" routine (I think it was with Oreos that time), I chuckled once. By the end of that routine? I was starting to get tired of it. By the time he reused the talking to his food stuff in the tenth straight act we've seen from him (now he's past cookies into other foods)... well... yeah, I think it's still not hatred to say I'm bored.

"You don't rehearse Mr. T, you just turn him loose."
    -----Sylvester Stallone, on Mr. T-----

"Amish In The City" JonasIsTheMan's Avatar
    I can't believe people don't think Gary is one of the most funniest..he has me laughing out loud. Yes his humor is defintly feel good humor based on everyday observations but that is funny..just look at how far Jerry Seinfeld went with that...GO GARY!
    "After all the backstabbing they've done, those PANSIES can't handle backstabbing themselves." - Jonas P. Kurtz

Quote Originally Posted by JonasIsTheMan
    I can't believe people don't think Gary is one of the most funniest..he has me laughing out loud. Yes his humor is defintly feel good humor based on everyday observations but that is funny..just look at how far Jerry Seinfeld went with that...GO GARY!
    For me, as far as everyday observations humor goes, I prefer Heffron, by far. I don't think Gary is one of the "most funniest" but I don't mind his sets, when he's not talking about his precious cookies. I don't hate him, I don't love him, he's just very... tall.

FORT Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by JonasIsTheMan
    okay, I'm new here so forgive me. I have to comment on comparing Gulman to Seinfeld. That's like comparing Jay London to Steven Wright. They just aren't in the same league and most likely never will be. Gary is amusing, but that's about it. I agree with the person who called him "boring". I smile and chuckle sometimes when I watch him, but I have yet to really laugh. And, you do know he ripped off that walrus joke right? It's not the walrus, it's the platypus that God threw together at the last minute. I hate it when comics do that crap His food fetish is bordering on creepy, too. I'm sure if The Food Network is looking for a "Cooking With Stand-Up Comics", Gary is their man.

haha ok we don't agree about everything. Still I think he's funny. I didn't know he ripped off the joke. thats a no no for sure! but i liked his joke about the boxing and ice skating...it was feel good humor.

And i didn't mean to compare him and Seinfeld. I just meant that Jerry's comedy is based on regular stuff too..obvious Gary's different, but not horrible.
    Last edited by JonasIsTheMan; 09-03-2004 at 03:27 AM.
    "After all the backstabbing they've done, those PANSIES can't handle backstabbing themselves." - Jonas P. Kurtz

Yawn.....A little boring for me
    Kami and Karli from AR3

"We need to fly to Kenya Africa"

Go Chip and Kim!!

FORT Newbie
    I love Gary ~ he never fails to crack me up. And I totally agree with whoever said that he makes you smile because HE'S always smiling

I like Heffron, and most of the others.....just someone PLEASE get Jay London out of there....he's the worst one by far. Well, except for Bonnie, and thankfully she took herself out....

GO GARY!!!!

FORT Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by Krom
    The reverse of adoration is not necessarily hatred. I think he's boring. That's not hatred--it's a statement that I have trouble believing that he's even within the 50 funniest comics in the country, muchless that he was THIRD last season.

Has he ever evoked a chuckle? Sure. The very first time I saw him doing to "talking to his food as if it were a person" routine (I think it was with Oreos that time), I chuckled once. By the end of that routine? I was starting to get tired of it. By the time he reused the talking to his food stuff in the tenth straight act we've seen from him (now he's past cookies into other foods)... well... yeah, I think it's still not hatred to say I'm bored.
    You're right, hate is the wrong word. Gary isn't really hated the way some other reality tv contestants are cough*Colin&Christie*cough. I can see why people might find him boring. He's nowhere near Seinfeld (he's not even the funniest on the show), but I've seen people compare him to Dat Phan (which is an insult).

Quote Originally Posted by Krom
    heh. you should hear what he has to say to GRAPEFRUIT!
    I've seen Gary live twice, and though I'll admit, he DOES like to talk to his food, he has a lot of other material he could use. I thought he was hysterical when I saw him. so, hopefully Gary will use some of his other stuff so he can draw YOU in because he really is very talented.

Quote Originally Posted by HappyKath
    I love Gary ~ he never fails to crack me up. And I totally agree with whoever said that he makes you smile because HE'S always smiling
    That would be I! Even when he's just standing around and they put the camera on him..I start smiling from ear to ear..he's generally a happy guy..or at least comes off as one..that makes his performances more relaxing to watch..you don't want someone who seems to be pissed at everyone...*nonono* I his joke about the milkman..ah i laugh at everything he says..There are 2 kinds of people it seems..one that find him funny and the other who find him amusing but aren't impressed i guess...oh well..ROCK ON MR. GULMAN!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast