+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Ralphie and Dat..is it just me?

Quote Originally Posted by IluvmyRott
    I was just wondering if the contestants were very good last year, this is why I asked the question to begin with. I did notice that Dat's routine dealt mostly with sterotypes---it got old fast! And Ralphie's Da Hood routine... well I live in middle class America so perhaps I just can't connect with his routine, but both my hubby and I thought he was terrible.

I was just asking a question---sorry if I hit a sore spot with anyone!
    Personally, I was wondering the same thing...I was all anticipation because I finally got to see the final 2 from last year, and their sets were pathetic. I think I was actually glaring at the TV after that Ralphie guy finished
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

FORT Fan
    Ralphie and Dat were both pathetically unfunny. I have no doubt Alonzo, Heffron, and even Gary would smoke them in a head-to-head.

It actually really was a great season last year. Tess was my favorite. Also, I really liked Ralphie, Dave, Cory, and Tere. I know most people didn't like Tere, but that's just me. Dat was the one I didn't like last year. Rich has some good material, but there's something about him that I don't like. Rob, Geoff, and Sean were in the middle for me. Sean, I liked more in the preliminaries, and he became more and more unfunny the farther he got, and by the time he got to the house, I didn't like him. Geoff, I didn't feel like I saw much of, but he had some alright stuff. Rob was the best of these three, but his stuff is kinda hit-and-miss for me. This will be a good "team" on next season though.

This year I really liked Kathleen, Ant, & John. Again, I know most people like Ant either, but that's still just me. I started liking Alonzo more and more toward the end, but he's still not one of my favorites. Jay, I hated, then started to like him, and then by the Wild Card, I didn't want him to go any further. He is good at what he does though. Gary, as wierd as some of his material is, he's pretty funny to me. Tammy, her Cicilian jokes got a little old, but she really pulled it out on that Final 6 show, and I did like her better than Gary overall, so I wanted her to make Final 3 over Gary (but I wanted Kathleen in more than either of them). Corey, I liked him at first and not too long after he won the Laundromat, he started going downhill. He does have some good material though. Maybe he's like Rich Vos to me. Bonnie and Todd, I was glad they left early. Todd just bothers me, and I don't like to watch him on anything unless he's doing standup, because I actually thought he was better than Tammy at their head-to-head. Granted, Tammy got better as the show went along. Bonnie, I didn't think much of her stuff in the house, but I've seen some of her other stuff on like Comedy Central and places, and she's not bad.

It'll definitely be interesting to watch Season 3: Battle of the Best.

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Pappy?
    Ralphie and Dat were both pathetically unfunny. I have no doubt Alonzo, Heffron, and even Gary would smoke them in a head-to-head.

I agree, but Dave Mordal - now he would kick some @$$
    Love many, trust a few, and always paddle your own canoe

Famita, He did look slimmer. You could actually see his jawline last night. I could barely see his chin last season. I hope to see him melt away as the next season progresses. That would be so good for his health....as long as he is doing it the healthy way.
    It occurred to me that no matter how bleak things might seem at times, at least I have a head. ----Stargazer

Dave Mordal was the most talented comic from last year but he lost in a tight head to head (against Dat). He's very talented like Alonzo--pretty good delivery but really outstanding writing. Personally, I think that Dat may really just want to be an actor, not a comic, and I've never understood why people like Ralphie as much as they do. I think that people who think Ralphie is funny find him to be the funniest person who has ever lived--sort of you-really-get-him or you-really-don't. I don't. Last year, I voted for Rich Vos.

Otherwise, the comics are a mixed bag, just like this year's. I think LCS 3 should be excellent, and I'm really happy they are doing it. We know everyone, and it will be great to see the old gang again.

I also thought Ralphie looked slimmer but it's really hard to tell. I mean--if he's lost 50 pounds, it's not super obvious on his frame. It would be great for him if he's able to conquer the obesity. It's such a strain on his body.

FYI: Ralphie May had gastric bypass surgery a while ago. He was on The Wayne Brady Show and they were talking about it. At that time he had lost almost 100 pounds but you couldn't really tell. He's doing it slow and safe. Good for him!

Good for Ralphie taking the safe route instead of trying to lose it all at once and risk damaging his heart. Keep it up, Ralphie! You're looking good!

dvm
    Get off the hate train.
    You know, watching the two of them, though both gave sub par performances (I've seen both do much much better), reminded me why I preferred Dat to Ralphie. Don't get me wrong, Ralphie is a great writer with good timing and certainly knows how to get the crowd all riled up, but can come off a bit cocky. Dat has his own weird, freakish quirks, but he always comes across humble to me . Of course this has nothing to do with straight up comedy, just an observation as to why people vote the way they do.

This year, I thought all three final gentlemen carried themselves well and seemed extremely grateful and un-full of themselves. Not that I'm saying that Ralphie is full of himself-- just a little over-confident. Of course, I don't know any of these people on a personal level, so I'm basing my opinion on what I see on TV. It's hard to say who got robbed last season because it is what it is -- people vote on an entirely personal level, judging character only from what's been given to them.

I am, however, very happy for his weight loss.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast