+ Reply to Thread
Page 14 of 16 FirstFirst ... 45678910111213141516 LastLast

Thread: 8/10 Show Discussion **Spoilers**

I'm pretty sure Alonzo, along with the other two, have toned down their material for prime-time TV. Maybe one of the benchmarks for a great comic is that they can do raunchy material (like all the comics Krom listed) and still enjoy huge success with a wide cross-section of the general public. IMO, Alonzo's polish and delivery saves his jokes from being offensive. Corey, on the other hand, DID offend me.

Having said that, Alonzo wasn't that great last night. Not quite as *on* as I'd expected, although I did laugh at the "taking one for the team" and the purse jokes. I really thought John Heffron was the clear winner last night, he had me He's really grown on me during his last couple of sets...although I suppose part of what I find so hilarious about his material is that I'm thirtysomething and married with kids, so I "get" it.

Two votes for Heffron from me, and one for Gary, because I've liked him since day one and I really love the cookie jokes.

All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

FORT Fanatic
    All three were bad last night, but John Heffron is really a disgrace to stand-up comedy. Not one of his jokes was funny, or even somewhat relevant. Plus, his delivery is weak...he's like a nervous little geek trying to ask a popular girl out, he's a wreck out there.

Alonzo was great as always, although I prefer racial humor to female humor.

And, Gary was better than usual...anyone who didn't appreciate his boxing/skating jokes doesn't understand discreet & witty humor and needs it fed to them on a platter.

[QUOTE=AJane]I'm pretty sure Alonzo, along with the other two, have toned down their material for prime-time TV. Maybe one of the benchmarks for a great comic is that they can do raunchy material (like all the comics Krom listed) and still enjoy huge success with a wide cross-section of the general public. IMO, Alonzo's polish and delivery saves his jokes from being offensive. Corey, on the other hand, DID offend me.

Having said that, Alonzo wasn't that great last night. Not quite as *on* as I'd expected, although I did laugh at the "taking one for the team" and the purse jokes. I really thought John Heffron was the clear winner last night, he had me He's really grown on me during his last couple of sets...although I suppose part of what I find so hilarious about his material is that I'm thirtysomething and married with kids, so I "get" it.

I have to agree that Alonzo wasn't in top form last night. The shopping jokes/holding the purse are limp from overuse--I could point to the same bits from Bill Cosby and Sinbad, to name just two.

Also, the whole 'doggie-style sex' bit was awful. Have come to expect more class from Alonzo. That was just cheesy, and I've heard variations of 'pet watching sex' jokes I don't know how many times on cable comedy shows.
    Yawn.

Maybe it's true that there's nothing new under the sun? John's housekeeping stuff was so been there/done that a million times, too. But if a journalist recycled stories like these comics have been, it'd be called plaigarism. Is there no copyright on humor? Evidently not!

John gets points for great physical comedy, though. He also has a cute wife. Is he stronger as an overall package than Alonzo? I don't think so. Alonzo has a presence on stage that defies even the bad jokes.

Gary might be truly unique in building an entire act around cookies. Of the three comics, he has the only G-rated act, and is the snazziest dresser by far. He'd have a lucrative career performing on college campuses, I bet. I like Gary, but he needs to beef up his material to have more consistently funny bits.

They all seemed a bit tired and off their game last night--they, as much as we are ready for this to be over!

FORT Fan
    Quote Originally Posted by SnowLeop
    I don't think anyone told any misogynistic jokes, per se, tonight, but when there's a general anti-female sentiment going on it's difficult, as a female within a society where females are still trying to obtain equal status as males, to not get my feathers ruffled. On the other hand, I don't get my feathers ruffled when African-Americans make "whitie" jokes even though I'm white. Perhaps this is because white people don't have a history of being "put down" (in every sense of the word) by African-Americans, so there's no real sore-spot there.
    I agree with you about the jokes African-Americans make about whites (and I'm white). I figure black people have had to take a lot of b.s. from white people over the years -- can't blame them for occasionally wanting to make whites the brunt of a joke. I like Alonzo overall, but did not think last night was his best set. I agree with those who said his jokes seem over-used re: holding the purse, etc. The sex jokes also seemed coarse.

Quote Originally Posted by YeahYeah
    All three were bad last night, but John Heffron is really a disgrace to stand-up comedy. Not one of his jokes was funny, or even somewhat relevant. Plus, his delivery is weak...he's like a nervous little geek trying to ask a popular girl out, he's a wreck out there.

Alonzo was great as always, although I prefer racial humor to female humor.

And, Gary was better than usual...anyone who didn't appreciate his boxing/skating jokes doesn't understand discreet & witty humor and needs it fed to them on a platter.
    Wow, I think i disagree with you...Totally
    I mean a disgrace to stand up comedy? thats way to harsh.I think he's the best out there and that attitude about him makes him even more funnier.

Alonso well he was ok not his best set but he is an excellent comic.

Gary well oh gary...fed me on a platter
    We'll see if america agrees with you...
    GO HEFFRON
    i voted 12 times cell phone/internet/house phone

Quote Originally Posted by Aalydah
    Wow, I think i disagree with you...Totally
    I mean a disgrace to stand up comedy? thats way to harsh.I think he's the best out there and that attitude about him makes him even more funnier.

Alonso well he was ok not his best set but he is an excellent comic.

Gary well oh gary...fed me on a platter
    We'll see if america agrees with you...
    GO HEFFRON
    i voted 12 times cell phone/internet/house phone
    I agree with you and I voted John 30 times with various email addys/cell/home phone ..

he deserves this.
    ~BB5 - rooting for Nakomis, Drew, Adria, Nat and Diane.
    ~LCS2 - JOHN HEFFRON
    ~Road Rules Xtreme - Patrick and Derrick

<3
    ~Brittany~

wow

Out of all the comics that performed, I have to say Jay Mohr stunk up the most..i mean i think he completely bombed his set...which is pretty embarrasing when your the host of a comic search show.

Other then that...I thought Gary's jokes about his dad were kind of lame, especially the part about Julius Ceasar..think it would of being more funny if he said something thats actually possible. (I dunno its just me) I liked his Fig newton part at the beginning then it got bad when he talked about the newton company. Alonzo had some pretty good material, just his flow and delivery tonight prevented me from laughing at all, and for some reason Alonzo sounded like Corey Holcomb at the beginning of his set ( i dunno its prob just me again). All 3 of the finalist were mediocre tonite, but John was still really funny

Ok now about the other parts of the show, What the hell is up with the best of the worst segments, I mean it was a pretty good idea last year and i thought it was pretty funny this year too...until i realized that nearly a quarter of the show consisted of those clips...

Grandma lee was hilarious...Marina was ok (church joke got on my nerves a little) too bad she couldnt come up with some other material quite as funny as her fading smile joke...Jim Norton was pretty good too..just dont remember much of his set besides "women with bad breath" and something about "monkey teabagging". Eh overall I was disappointed :p

Between us three [me britaknee and aalydan] we have 100 votes in for John !!! NICE !!!!!!

ROCK ON !!!!!!

FORT Fanatic
    I'm sure Heffron's going to win, that doesn't make it right.

Nerds Just Wanna Have Fun Boredom's Avatar
    to YeahYeah. I personally think that Alonzo should win, but it's looking like there are enough people finding ways to vote 30+ times for everyone, but primarily John, so it's starting too look like Heffron is going to win. I wouldn't be sad, but at the same time... I think Alonzo was better.

Then again, who knows - maybe it'll be a Clay-Ruben situation, and Alonzo will end up winning (note: Clay/Ruben means that the person who had the most fans who voted constantly was second, whereas the winner had people vote for him fewer times, but more people.)

+ Reply to Thread