+ Reply to Thread
Page 13 of 16 FirstFirst ... 345678910111213141516 LastLast

Thread: 8/10 Show Discussion **Spoilers**

FORT Fanatic
    Quote Originally Posted by SnowLeop
    Did anybody else here vote for Alonzo? I thought both Heff and Alonzo were funny but Alonzo made me laugh more.
    I did. I thought they were all fairly close, but the thing with the chair and the purse was great, and Alonzo has been better throughout, so I went with him.

John was okay until he went to a strip club. And the honey-do list. (What's funny about his first step thing and the clutter jokes is that in my house it's role reversal.)

Gulman was actually mildly funny. I never thought I'd say it.

I don't think I need to argue much for "harder" comedy. Those who already prefer it will already agree, and those who DON'T likely won't ever agree. Mostly, I'm just building an argument why maybe, if America HASN'T changed as much as I fear, a comedian like Alonzo might stand a chance, instead of picking "cookie boy".
    Oh, I absolutely think he's got a fine chance. Alonzo's comedy isn't really all that "hard" - not nearly as nasty as Corey's was, for instance. I find Corey extremely offensive. Alonzo made a lot of acute observations about male/female relationships, just like John did, and a lot of them were spot on. I think we've got three very strong, very different comics who all did a fine job last night and I'm not going to be stunned if any of them take this. Dat Phan has left the building. I personally laughed hardest at John Heffron.

FORT Newbie
    Oh wow, I guess I'm in the minority here.....I think Gary is great! My husband and I were laughing all through his set. Now before anyone starts jumping on me, I have to say that all 3 did very well last night. I'd be happy if any of them wins it. The only ones in this show who literally made my skin crawl and were NOT funny in the least, were Bonnie McFarlaine and Jay London. Blech!

Anyway, Gary got all of my votes last night. Looking forward to tomorrow!

FORT Fogey
    Quote Originally Posted by HappyKath
    Oh wow, I guess I'm in the minority here.....I think Gary is great! My husband and I were laughing all through his set. Now before anyone starts jumping on me, I have to say that all 3 did very well last night. I'd be happy if any of them wins it. The only ones in this show who literally made my skin crawl and were NOT funny in the least, were Bonnie McFarlaine and Jay London. Blech!

Anyway, Gary got all of my votes last night. Looking forward to tomorrow!
    I have to say, I love Gary Gulman and he always makes me laugh. It may not have been his best, but I still was laughing so hard my cats ran for cover...
    Alonzo didn't even make me smile. How disappointing... I've heard too many other comics do a bit about holding their woman's purse while she shops and it just isn't funny at all...He's usually good, but I thought he was way off his game last night. John was probably the funniest in my opinion last night. He left out a lot of the physical comedy and I actually laughed a lot! I won't be disappointed with any of them winning, but I'd much rather watch a sitcom with Gary Gulman starring in it than to watch another sitcom about an angry black man putting down southern whites nascar fans (and no, I'm not a souther white nascar fan...). Head to head from LCS 1 and 2?? Oh let's put Dat up against Bonnie and let Bonnie have a run away victory!!!!

Jim Norton made me laugh the most ... second most, John, so he get my vote ... Gary was funny too, although, cookie cutter type ish, lol ... Alonzo was somewhat funny, but nothing he said made me lol ... krom is funny too

and for no reason, except the hilarity factor, the greatest Mike Tyson quote of all time ...

"I was gonna rip his heart out, i'm the best ever. I'm the most brutal, and most vicious, and most ruthless champion there's ever been. My style is impetuous, my defence is inpregnable, and i'm just ferocious, I want your heart, I wanna eat his children. Praise be to Allah."

Nerds Just Wanna Have Fun Boredom's Avatar
    I'm voting for Alonzo

I actually think that tonight's going to be close between Alonzo and John. Sorry, Gary... but the cookies will do you in everytime. I wouldn't be opposed to Alonzo or John winning, but I think that Alonzo was more on his 'A' game than John is. John just hasn't been as strong during the last 2 rounds as he was before, and, while Alonzo isn't as strong as he's been, he's still just a little stronger than John, in my opinion.

I liked all three of them. I guess I thought John, then Alonzo, and lastly, Gary. It might have been my mood, it might have been the fact that they did not make me hysterically laugh. With that being said, I thought Marina rocked! I remembered her from the beginning and liked her then. I loved her set, even tho' I have never been in a black Baptist Church. However, I still feel that of all the 10, Ant would have been my pick. He is the only one that made me laugh out loud for an extended period of time. The other jokes he had more than made up for the unfortunate Scoobydoo!

FORT Fan
    gary would be great for children's parties
    they would really appreciate his endless supply of cookie jokes.
    he was ok, and i like him better than i did initially, but his delivery reminds me of a teenage girl, alonzo and john are both way better and deserve the top two spots

alonzo was good, although, with his ability to write new material, i was expecting something other than the fallback jokes of men sitting around with women shopping and holding their purses...though it did remind me of the beer commercial where the guys are having a party inside the clothes rack while the wives are shopping. i was hoping for some new alonzo material and not recycled men/women shopping purse-holding stuff. even the jokes about going to bars with female friends and how they should either help you hook up or take one for the team, again, not an alonzo original.
    but the majority of people already had their minds made up before the show, so i doubt he lost many votes on not having his own jokes.

i was hoping for john to do well, but would have voted for someone else if there was a huge difference and he wasn't as good as someone else.
    i guess being recently married made his bit funnier to me, because i've had many weekends when i thought i was going to relax and enjoy a game on tv or something but get woken up at 7am for cleaning the house or actually moving all of the plants from the back yard to the front yard.
    john seems like the best bet for a sitcom, and the most naturally funny comedian with the broadest audience

Quote Originally Posted by pudman13
    Great post. I think people on this forum are showing a profound misunderstanding of "racism" and "misogyny" and you've explained it in a way that will hopefully open their eyes.
    I'm glad to hear this. People in a forum can say anything they want, I realize, but terms like "misogynst" and "racist" were pretty strong. Like it or hate it, Alonzo's humor base is no different than most of the more successful comedians in history. Nobody has an OBLIGATION to like that, but it also follows that if you hated Alonzo for those qualities, you are also proclaiming that the Redd Foxxes, Richard Pryors, Eddie Murphys and Sam Kinnisons of the world (who at their peak ALL displayed considerably more "anti"-ness than anything Alonzo does) are even worse in your book.

The fact that Alonzo has a joke where he wishes that one of his innumerable purse-handing female friends would "take one for the team" with him? That's tame compared to what a lot of the gentlemen listed above joked about, sexually, in their prime. Again, that doesn't make it right for everyone, but I hope those who label Alonzo as racist or misogynistic can at least look at those names listed above and at least admit they hate them too, if they want to indict this guy over a much lesser form of this.

"You don't rehearse Mr. T, you just turn him loose."
    -----Sylvester Stallone, on Mr. T-----

+ Reply to Thread