+ Reply to Thread
Page 12 of 16 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213141516 LastLast

Thread: 8/10 Show Discussion **Spoilers**

Quote Originally Posted by AIer_admirer
    Most sitcoms reflect Krom's thinking, too, even "tamer" ones like Fresh Prince, Seinfeld...they all poke jokes at gender and race relations. Sketch comedy (SNL, In Living Color) does too. That's why I think Alonzo's made it this far...he's a good writer with the guts to do social commentary.
    Good point, and thank you for it.

The BEST sitcom ever made, "All In The Family", would never have happened if people were looking for "nice". Archie, at least in the earliest shows, was mean, ignorant, stupid, racist, and misogynistic.

Another example, many people think that the movie version of M*A*S*H is funnier than the watered down TV show. But it's rife with sexism, nudity, racism (a major character is named "Spearchucker") and dark comedy.

SNL, at its best (and well... earliest), pushed boundaries and wasn't at all safe or nice.

I don't think I need to argue much for "harder" comedy. Those who already prefer it will already agree, and those who DON'T likely won't ever agree. Mostly, I'm just building an argument why maybe, if America HASN'T changed as much as I fear, a comedian like Alonzo might stand a chance, instead of picking "cookie boy".

"You don't rehearse Mr. T, you just turn him loose."
    -----Sylvester Stallone, on Mr. T-----

Telling misogynistic jokes is not "pushing the boundaries," it's actually staying well within an established tradition. The Honeymooners? Hello? Moreover, making misogynistic jokes is not making social commentary. Just as a white person telling racist jokes about African-Americans is not social commentary UNLESS it's contextualized in such a way as to show that it's racist (hence, the humor of "All in the Family.")

I don't think anyone told any misogynistic jokes, per se, tonight, but when there's a general anti-female sentiment going on it's difficult, as a female within a society where females are still trying to obtain equal status as males, to not get my feathers ruffled. On the other hand, I don't get my feathers ruffled when African-Americans make "whitie" jokes even though I'm white. Perhaps this is because white people don't have a history of being "put down" (in every sense of the word) by African-Americans, so there's no real sore-spot there.

So, I said Gary was the sweetest but I didn't say he was the funniest! I just thought he had the most relaxed stage presence. I voted 21 times for Alonzo, and one of the main reasons I voted for him was because he used politics as fodder for his routines when the others didn't.

Anyway, I just felt a bit misread there.

stuck on an island with creepy ferret faced Ben
    Even though I think Alonzo's humor is cleaver & well constructed, I am put off because it's too narrow in scope: intimidating big black man & sex. Whenever he's coming on I'm like, " okay, what spin is he going to put on the old theme tonight?"

John covers many more bases. I'm eager to hear where he's going each time, even if it's not as funny as Alonzo.

FORT Fan
    Quote Originally Posted by Crush
    I'm not sure if this has been discussed yet, but have any of you had that problem where the phone line says that you've used up all your calls when you haven't? It happened to me twice tonight.
    It happened to me too

I enjoyed the clips of the roast that weren't aired before. Loved that everyone was ragging Ant's "Scooby-Doo joke". Like Todd said, he should never EVER use it again.

Bringing some of the talent that didn't make it into the house was an added bonus. Granny was pretty good, and so was Marina. They both were so much better than Bonnie.

The main comics weren't as funny as they were last week, imo.
    Alonzo had some great material, but I felt that his delivery was off tonight. I didn't laugh as much as I usually do when he does his sets.

Gary started off good, and then he lost me when he resorted back to his safety net: The COOKIES! I didn't laugh at all during that part of his set. He did seem more relaxed than the other two, though.

John started off great. He had some much energy, but he did seem a little nervous. John was the only one that had me laughing out loud.

My ranking:
    1. John - voted for him
    2. Alonzo
    3. Gary

I watched tonight thinking okay I know John is my fave but if Alonzo blows me away I will split up my votes. Sorry Alonzo your 'chair set' didnt do it for me & John got all my votes.

John is a guy that wouldn't stand out in a crowd, and I can relate to many of his jokes. I fought with the Christmas wrap tubes, I put things on the 1st step and expect my hubby to bring it upstairs even if his hands are full. My hubby is the guy taking a flying leap from the 3rd step to avoid it all costs. I am drawn to his humour because he is so middle American/Canadian.

Go John Go

FORT Newbie
    Well, I think Heff has it in the bag.

I was too anxious to really pay attention to the sets except Gary's (unfortunately). GG blows. So mediocre. Trying to be Seinfeld and just stretching for any material. So i nto the cookie jar he goes. Observational humor is funny because people relate to it. You don't just look around the room and go, "Hey, I can make fun of this!"

Alonzo was too reserved. He needed a Home Run tonight to win and instead got an easy bloop single. It was the first time Alonzo hesitated on stage.

Heffron was too frantic tonight, but he's got a personality where he can get away with things that would kill other performers because he draws sympathy.

I know I have always been a John fan, I was planning on voting for him tonight anyways. But I have to say that he was EXCELLENT! I loved the set. He wasn't as frantic as he usually is and I liked that. Slowed down just a bit and had fun on stage. I think he has a good chance of winning with Alonzo taking second and Gary in third.

Quote Originally Posted by AIer_admirer
    SpartyRules, 3 more votes for John by phone vote. I hope John wins! I don't phone vote for just anybody!
    Thank you sooooooooooo much... I hope he wins.

Did you like his response when you phone vote ...NICE !!!!

Quote Originally Posted by SnowLeop
    Telling misogynistic jokes is not "pushing the boundaries," it's actually staying well within an established tradition. The Honeymooners? Hello? Moreover, making misogynistic jokes is not making social commentary. Just as a white person telling racist jokes about African-Americans is not social commentary UNLESS it's contextualized in such a way as to show that it's racist (hence, the humor of "All in the Family.")

I don't think anyone told any misogynistic jokes, per se, tonight, but when there's a general anti-female sentiment going on it's difficult, as a female within a society where females are still trying to obtain equal status as males, to not get my feathers ruffled. On the other hand, I don't get my feathers ruffled when African-Americans make "whitie" jokes even though I'm white. Perhaps this is because white people don't have a history of being "put down" (in every sense of the word) by African-Americans, so there's no real sore-spot there.

So, I said Gary was the sweetest but I didn't say he was the funniest! I just thought he had the most relaxed stage presence. I voted 21 times for Alonzo, and one of the main reasons I voted for him was because he used politics as fodder for his routines when the others didn't.

Anyway, I just felt a bit misread there.
    Great post. I think people on this forum are showing a profound misunderstanding of "racism" and "misogyny" and you've explained it in a way that will hopefully open their eyes.

Not only is the anti-female sentiment worth getting your feathers ruffled over, it's boring and old and unoriginal...

+ Reply to Thread