+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 16 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213141516 LastLast

Thread: 8/10 Show Discussion **Spoilers**

Eroldynamic,

Yes, I agree with you about the "tone" each comedian took. Heff did seem to be, probably unintentionally, venting some hostile energy in his routine (and when it's on the subject of women, I cringe a little bit). This is why I think I didn't laugh as much with him as I did with Alonzo, though one could argue there's some misogynistic energy in that routine, too. Gary does seem to be the sweetest of the three, and the most comfortable on stage.

Well, someone said they wouldn't be sorry if any one of them won and I think I agree there. They are all excellent comics.

Quote Originally Posted by Charmy
    they can tell they're authentic by the fact you have to fill out umpteen fields, so they know it's a human voting. even if it isn't their real email, they still took the time. I'm guessing on this though, and I mostly guess right.

-Charmy
    Yeah, but I could make up names and addresses for any of the e-mail addresses I lifted. Anyway, I haven't done this (yet) so nobody get mad at me.

With my email accounts, home phone, cell phone, I was able to vote 21 times for Alonzo.

My favorite cookie: molasses. Ginger snap takes a close second.

I am a West Coaster............I am SO excited to watch this episode of "Last Comic Standing." I think that each of these gentlemen are very talented. You can have a good night or a bad night as a comic. John Heffron has made me laugh from day one. He will get my vote no matter what. I think that Alonzo is a close second. I am castng my votes on the entire season. In my opinion ( I have always taught my kids to say that) John Heffron is the funniest.

Dave Mordal Fan <3
    I'm not sure if this has been discussed yet, but have any of you had that problem where the phone line says that you've used up all your calls when you haven't? It happened to me twice tonight.

Nerds Just Wanna Have Fun Boredom's Avatar
    Alonzo - Had me rolling with most of his jokes, especially the final one Overall, I thought he had the best set.

Gary - Wow... his set was actually... decent. I was amazed. It was good until he wented on the 'cookie' spiel, and then his set plummeted... today I had a different opinion of him - instead of his writing lacking, today I thought that his writing (minus cookies) was pretty good, but his delivery... wasn't so hot. Thought he had the worst set (but that's not saying that much).

John - Wow... he had some hits and misses. I personally thinks that he works best with smaller crowds, and NOT on live shows... overall, I think that his set was in the middle, and it was very good, but it didn't have the final push that I thought Alonzo's did.

So, if I may rank...

1. Alonzo
    2. John
    3. Gary

A very good night for all three, though.

Quote Originally Posted by SnowLeop
    Eroldynamic,

Yes, I agree with you about the "tone" each comedian took. Heff did seem to be, probably unintentionally, venting some hostile energy in his routine (and when it's on the subject of women, I cringe a little bit). This is why I think I didn't laugh as much with him as I did with Alonzo, though one could argue there's some misogynistic energy in that routine, too. Gary does seem to be the sweetest of the three, and the most comfortable on stage.
    This is a big thing to me, that people think things like this in relation to comedy--that it's about sweetness or something like that. I'm also mindful of the huge push in some of the other threads to label Alonzo as racist.

I grew up listening to George Carlin, Don Rickles, Red Foxx, Richard Pryor, and later on Sam Kinnison, Eddie Murphy and eventually Chris Rock. "Sweet" never seemed to be part of the equation for the funniest of what they did. I know we are watching network TV, and thus people impose a "family" filter to their judgement, but I just can't subscribe to the same theories of comedy.

Cookie jokes, in a word, bore me.

Is Alonzo a misogynst? Maybe, but so was Redd Foxx. Does he tell jokes about race? Sure, but so did Pryor, Foxx, Murphy, Rock, and yeah even Rickles, Kinnison and Carlin to lesser extents. What's new with either of these things? Are we, in a post-Janet Jackson pro-FCC world scared of them somehow? Have we collectively lost some ability to see the line between humorous poking at race and gender issues and true disrespect?

How about Jim Norton? If people really want "sweet", I suppose it's just as well for him that he was forced out.

Now I'm not taking issue with the people who like, or want, that in their comedy. I'm just saying that there's a pretty long tradition of a sharper style of comedy not only being accepted, but also rewarded.

"You don't rehearse Mr. T, you just turn him loose."
    -----Sylvester Stallone, on Mr. T-----

FORT Fogey
    I'm in California.

Yeah! Grandma Lee! If there is one thing I wish this show would have more of, that would be truly unknown comedians.

Grandma Lee got a standing ovation and she surely deserved it. Anyone who decides to become a comedian at her age... well, more power to them! (Her joke about "soldiers in your cup" was good too.)

It hardly makes sense to have a show like this -- do auditions in a bunch of different cities -- and then pick out comics to compete who have already made the national scene and are well known in Los Angeles. Show us some new talent!! If you could pick all the comics you wanted in Los Angeles and New York, what is the point of holding auditions in other cities?

At any rate, I hope Alonzo wins this. Gary Gulman makes my teeth hurt. I think he is simply *bad.* He just doesn't make me laugh.

Most sitcoms reflect Krom's thinking, too, even "tamer" ones like Fresh Prince, Seinfeld...they all poke jokes at gender and race relations. Sketch comedy (SNL, In Living Color) does too. That's why I think Alonzo's made it this far...he's a good writer with the guts to do social commentary.
    "The difference between reality and fiction? Fiction has to make sense."
    Good luck to the Good Guys on the Inferno!

+ Reply to Thread