+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: The Final 3 - Thoughts and Opinions

The Final 3 - Thoughts and Opinions

OK, now I'll start out by saying that I haven't watched every episode of this season, so maybe I've missed something along the way, but my thoughts on the pairings to determine the Final 3:

Tammy vs. Gary - This one was a toss-up for me. Though I was personally rooting for Tammy, I think they are both funny (though I thought Tammy was a bit funnier), and I'm not completely shocked to see Gary in the Final 3.

Kathleen vs. John - This is the one that blows me away. How did John get through over Kathleen? It's not that John isn't funny; he is funny enough. It's just that IMO this one wasn't even close. Plus, for some reason, when they announced that Gary got through and Tammy didn't, I thought that would help Kathleen even more. Oh well, Kathleen will do just fine without LCS, I feel sure.

Alonzo vs. Jay - My faith in the American voting public is restored. I have never thought Jay London was all that funny, but I was afraid he'd get through to the finals because of his uniqueness (is that even a word?). When he won the Wildcard spot (which I was thinking should have gone to Ant ), I thought he'd have a free ride through to the finals. Thank goodness Alonzo got through. He deserved it.

FORT Fan
    Here' my opinion of Tuesday night. First off, I'll admit that I was laways a big Jon Heffron fan from the beginning, but I tried to put that aside when watching the show. As most agreed, Alonzo kicked butt on Tuesday. I actually thought that gary had the second best set (a first for me since I thought his previous stuff stunk it up). And I thought that Jon narrowly inched out third over Kathleen. What kicked it out for me was when Kathleen always interrupts her jokes with thank you's, it seems forced and out of character. it disrupts the flow and rythym for me. I thought that Tammy had a nice set for her, but she never really does too much for me to put her in an elite class. Jay just wasn't on his game. I think that he has some good nights where he really endears himself to the audience, but he simply hasn't been doing it for me lately. He needs to get on a roll of jokes to make it work.

As lobeck said, I also think Ant should have won the wildcard. He was good on that night which is what it should be about. So what if he was terrible every other time I've seen him. He was good that night.

I think the hardest part about this show is that people get invested in the personality of each comic instead of simply sitting back and enjoying the performances. they let the reality tv part of the show disrupt who is actually better. of course, this is why it's a tv show and not really a competition. Just look at AI. I think that i have been able to (for the most part) step back from my personality and simply watch the stand up (though in a close call, i will vote for Jon).

FORT Fan
    alonzo has been in my top 2 from the beginning, but i'm tired of the old and busted racist jokes he relies on.

Quote Originally Posted by lobeck
    OK, now I'll start out by saying that I haven't watched every episode of this season, so maybe I've missed something along the way, but my thoughts on the pairings to determine the Final 3:

Tammy vs. Gary - This one was a toss-up for me. Though I was personally rooting for Tammy, I think they are both funny (though I thought Tammy was a bit funnier), and I'm not completely shocked to see Gary in the Final 3.

Kathleen vs. John - This is the one that blows me away. How did John get through over Kathleen? It's not that John isn't funny; he is funny enough. It's just that IMO this one wasn't even close. Plus, for some reason, when they announced that Gary got through and Tammy didn't, I thought that would help Kathleen even more. Oh well, Kathleen will do just fine without LCS, I feel sure.

Alonzo vs. Jay - My faith in the American voting public is restored. I have never thought Jay London was all that funny, but I was afraid he'd get through to the finals because of his uniqueness (is that even a word?). When he won the Wildcard spot (which I was thinking should have gone to Ant ), I thought he'd have a free ride through to the finals. Thank goodness Alonzo got through. He deserved it.
    A HUGE

I don't think I have ever agreed with anyone more. I was going to type my own responce, but you had already typed it for me.

FORT Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by MattyBravo
    they let the reality tv part of the show disrupt who is actually better. of course, this is why it's a tv show and not really a competition.
    If this were corrected, the following comics would never have been near the house:

1. Ant
    2. Gary Gulman
    3. Jay Mohr

I'm willing to argue it.

Humour is subjective. There's no way to win an argument over who anyone thinks is funnier than someone else. The only comic that everyone (I think) in the forum agreed completely sucked, was that blonde that didn't make it to the house...I can't even remember her name, but there was much complaining that she'd already had a shot at a network sitcom.

The final sets of all 6 comics made me laugh out loud. I can't say I would have been terribly disappointed in any top 3 chosen. I would have really liked Tammy to have been top 3, but I don't know who I would replace.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

FORT Fan
    Quote Originally Posted by AJane
    The only comic that everyone (I think) in the forum agreed completely sucked, was that blonde that didn't make it to the house...I can't even remember her name, but there was much complaining that she'd already had a shot at a network sitcom.
    i remember one comic that almost made the house....i couldn't believe she made it past the initial auditions....
    forgot her name, kersey or something, big lady that made the weird faces and screamed a lot "Put me in the house!!"
    couldn't believe they actually picked her over some others to make it as far as she did.

I'm pleased with the three that made the final.

I have found Gary consistently amusing in his performances,
    Tammy has yet to make me laugh once.
    Her delivery, her material and even her actual voice turn me off completely.

Kathleen never really appealed to me either.
    I like John's jokes about his childhood, the christmas wrapping paper tube and taking your snowboots off in that wild kick fashion struck a chord with me.

Alonzo over Jay was a no brainer imo.
    "That's Numberwang!"

FORT Newbie
    I predicted last night's show, right before I watched it... Actually, I said the top 3 would be Alonzo, John, and Kathleen... and I said that Gary might beat Kathleen by a small margin.
    Then when I saw how they were pairing up the comics, and I saw that either Gary or Tammy would be in the top 3, I knew Kathleen was out. I even predicted that they would pair up John and kathleen, and Alonzo and Jay. After the show was over, my wife thought I had an inside source.
    I'm glad that John made it, hopefully he will have a great set next Tuesday. I think it will be very close between Alonzo and John.

FORT Fogey
    Ajane, her name was Sue Costello. And I agree, comedy is subjective, like art. It grabs you or doesn't.

I was pleased with the final three and predicted it.

Tammy's behavior in the house got in the way for those who may have enjoyed her. Her material and delivery did not call to me though she did give me a chuckle or two.

I was surprized that I enjoyed Kathleen as much as I did. We didn't see enough of her and that hurt her, but being in the final 6 will help her career.

It is a tough call for me to pick a favorite between John and Alonzo. They were both excellent.

I like Gary and he makes me laugh but his material does not shine like the other two men. The self sticking postage stamps was not current enough to make a punch and the sugar cookie bit was just not funny.

How they are going to handle the 2 hour finale is curious. Maybe we dont call in votes. I suppose if I read the rest of this forum I would find the answer to that.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast