+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 47

Thread: The Final 3 - Thoughts and Opinions

  1. #31
    FORT Fogey
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Posts
    2,053
    I had the fortunate (or not) experience of watching the DVD of Eddy Izzard last night with friends. This man is beyond fabulous. Stunning, hysterical humor. When I sat down to my Tivoed LCS it was a huge let down. All three of these comics are only pretty good.

    I am going to guess that Gary wins though either of the others would be my pick. I go back and forth between John and Alonzo.

    I am looking forward to next year; I am already rooting for Dave Mordal. He will make me pick up the phone.

  2. #32
    FORT Fogey
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    1,064
    Quote Originally Posted by Dogbat
    I had the fortunate (or not) experience of watching the DVD of Eddy Izzard last night with friends. This man is beyond fabulous. Stunning, hysterical humor. When I sat down to my Tivoed LCS it was a huge let down. All three of these comics are only pretty good.

    I am going to guess that Gary wins though either of the others would be my pick. I go back and forth between John and Alonzo.

    I am looking forward to next year; I am already rooting for Dave Mordal. He will make me pick up the phone.
    I don't know why, but I find Gary Gulman to be very funny. Maybe it's his delivery, maybe it's the constant little boy smile he has on his face, like he's really enjoying himself... or maybe his jokes just strike close to home for me so that's why I can laugh so hard - anyway, I doubt Gary will win, I think it will be Alonzo, John, and Gary, but hey, I'd like a Gary win....

  3. #33
    Fort Freak! funnygirl422's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Age
    48
    Posts
    2,591
    After watching last night's show, all I can say is "what happened"?

    All three comics seemed to adjust their style a little bit. Alonzo and Gary's didn't bother me so much, but I felt let down by John. I LOVE his childhood to adulthood humor. I wasn't buying his "marriage" jokes last night. I did chuckle over the "stripper glitter" joke, but that was it for me.

    I wish Gary would have started with the "Olympics" stuff. However, I'm glad he stayed true to himself and through in a cookie joke...fig newtons !

    Alonzo was his typical smart comic self. I love his approach to humor.

    I didn't vote because I could see all three of these winning this. It's going to be a tight race. IMO.

  4. #34
    FORT Regular totalwreckage's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    80
    Quote Originally Posted by funnygirl422
    After watching last night's show, all I can say is "what happened"?

    All three comics seemed to adjust their style a little bit. Alonzo and Gary's didn't bother me so much, but I felt let down by John. I LOVE his childhood to adulthood humor. I wasn't buying his "marriage" jokes last night. I did chuckle over the "stripper glitter" joke, but that was it for me.

    I wish Gary would have started with the "Olympics" stuff. However, I'm glad he stayed true to himself and through in a cookie joke...fig newtons !

    Alonzo was his typical smart comic self. I love his approach to humor.

    I didn't vote because I could see all three of these winning this. It's going to be a tight race. IMO.

    Couldnt agree more, I thought all 3 were extremely flatter than usual. I thought they did way better in the semi finals. I laughed my ass off in the semis but not so much in the final 3. I laughed more at Norton and the Old lady to be honest.

  5. #35
    Fool... but no pity. Krom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    21,565
    Quote Originally Posted by totalwreckage
    Couldnt agree more, I thought all 3 were extremely flatter than usual. I thought they did way better in the semi finals. I laughed my ass off in the semis but not so much in the final 3. I laughed more at Norton and the Old lady to be honest.
    It was an odd combo of someone funnier (Norton), someone much worse (Mohr) and all of the bad audition clips--forming some sort of energy field that sucked everyone down a bit.

    Or maybe Bonnie did them all in the dressing rooms pre-show, and they were all tired.

    I actually thought Alonzo had a great set. The only problem being that he STARTED listless and built up, whereas with the other two it was just up and down the whole set.

    "You don't rehearse Mr. T, you just turn him loose."
    -----Sylvester Stallone, on Mr. T-----

  6. #36
    We Are... disappointed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    10
    Quote Originally Posted by mic813
    Glad someone else had this thought. I don't find Jay very amusing on the show, but caught him at the Baltimore Improv a few months ago and he was hilarious,one of the best sets I have ever seen by a comic. His stuff is a lot more edgy, so he probably isn't use to having to tame it down to the likes of NBC.
    i will admit to being one of the people that have posted that jay mohr is a gigantic waste of tv air. you are also not the first to suggest he is funnier in person.

    if you read all the threads here and on other boards you see a lot of comparisons of the participants to other [famous] comedians - their styles, their material - that go as far back as groucho. comparisons are made and observations commented.

    using these other comics as reference i have this thought: if you are truly funny, you are funny to any audience. there are circumstances where censoring is appropriate. (the day care center was an example of a special case, let's not anyone get hung on the trivial).

    a really funny person IMHO can make any audience laugh. to drop a few names from the reference group above: red foxx, george carlin, richard pryor. far from being sunday school teachers on stage, they could also be funny on network tv - espcially in the 60s and early 70s where you couldn't do/say half of what you can today.

    so, if he has to be obscene to funny, is he really funny??? or is he just obscene? do to the enormous amount of face time he is given on LCS, the odds are in his favor that i'd grin at least once or twice, but i've never laughed, never been impressed. based on the posts i've read, you are in the minority, so, you go see him. i couldn't be bothered to walk across the street to do it. and since i have chosen to watch LCS, i submit to the sacrifice of putting up with him.

  7. #37
    Mrs. Pusser's fanclub pudman13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    In my own mind
    Posts
    98

    Jay Mohr's standup

    Isn't the point of an emcee to be a little funny but not very much so, in order to make the featured comics appear funnier (or not get upstaged?)

  8. #38
    FORT Newbie
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    39
    Quote Originally Posted by pudman13
    Isn't the point of an emcee to be a little funny but not very much so, in order to make the featured comics appear funnier (or not get upstaged?)


    Exactly! I'm glad someone finally pointed this out.

  9. #39
    FORT Regular
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    87
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackbeard
    >> just saying i know he can write good material, since he did great at the roast challenge, but he relies on making fun of white people too much for my taste (would a white guy making similar jokes about black people be your favorite to win? <<

    Yes, his name was Ralphie May...

    Door to Door...
    http://www.ralphiemay.com/may_doortodoor24.m3u

    And his jokes on his CD about MLK holiday are hilarious...

    Keith S. :{)>
    Thanks Keith I am glad that you like Just Correct, I am very proud of it. Tomorrow I am going to perform, NBC has picked out my set, basically my Tonight Show set. I am just a little disappointed though because I didn't want to repeat a joke, but they said a bunch of people haven't seen the first season and all the staff there wanted that set. I am really tired all day long we shot promos for season 3 and for tomorrow. 30 million viewers and I am wiped out. It should be fun. Oh ya Dat is going to tell you everything he is doing and then do the martial arts in the bathroom joke again, enjoy. Oh man that's my teammate now, wow that is weird. Should I do a cookie joke just to goof on Gary Gulman??

    Ralphie May

  10. #40
    FORT Fogey
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Posts
    2,053
    Ah, so there is a team aspect, eh Ralphie? Can you vote for one of your own in the spirit of knawing your foot off to be free from the trap?

    You, Mordal and Voss should fair very well. I am looking forward to this. We have all been whining about this season not coming close to the first.

    Who from the first season will be included?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

SEO by vBSEO 3.6.0 ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.