+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: The Final 3 - Thoughts and Opinions

Comedy is extremely subjective. My criteria for whom I think is funny is to identify the person who has me practically unable to breathe with tears running down my face before he's finished with his set - and by that standard, both John and Gary have both been very successful. While Alonzo does not leave me absolutely helpless with laughter, he creates a generous and steady display of very hearty guffaws. This is as opposed to Kathleen, who produced a good supply of chuckles, Jay, who got a few sympathetic snickers, and Tammy, whom I stared at in cold silence.

Yes, I think we got precisely the right final three. My vote will be based on my impression of their final set, and I have no problem with either cookie jokes or jokes that discuss (maturely) how the races or the genders interact with each other. Who's got me rolling is my only criteria.

I myself could not have been happier with the final three. My faith in my fellow Americans has been restored. At this point, though I have been a fan of Gary and would love for him to win, I wouldn't be disappointed with any of the three remaining people winning.

FORT Fanatic
    Quote Originally Posted by jer2911
    alonso showed in the roast that he can come up with some good material. i liked alonso from the start, but i am sick of him relying on so many old racist jokes to make fun of rednecks and all others white....and he has a crappy delivery, like he's spitting out a couple of quick jokes so he can move on to a speech at a used car salesmen convention
    I don't see anything wrong with Alonzo's delivery.

And you keep saying this about his race jokes being "old," but I've never heard any of them before. Who is it that does these same jokes?

I'm with Boxhill here. I think Alonzo's jokes are very original. And he doesn't pick on only white hicks. Anyone of any race is game with him. I also think he is the most polished of all the comedians left, and his delivery is the best part of his act.

FORT Fan
    oh yeah....very original...i've never heard a black comedian making jokes about not wanting to be in the south after the sun goes down.....or making jokes about nascar fans.....also not sure i've ever heard a black comedian reference hockey or golf while making fun of white people

/just saying i know he can write good material, since he did great at the roast challenge, but he relies on making fun of white people too much for my taste (would a white guy making similar jokes about black people be your favorite to win?).
    Last edited by jer2911; 08-09-2004 at 05:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jer2911
    (would a white guy making similar jokes about black people be your favorite to win?).
    This is a flawed argument. There's nothing funny in the oppressor mocking the oppressed.

I'm not making a political statement, just pointing out that comedy is partially based upon the context of a joke. I'm sure there are jokes white people can make about black people that are funny (I saw a guy who said something about black people taking in crowded movie theaters), but in general unless something like that has a certain kind of history behind it it isn't going to work.

FORT Fan
    Quote Originally Posted by pudman13
    This is a flawed argument. There's nothing funny in the oppressor mocking the oppressed.

I'm not making a political statement, just pointing out that comedy is partially based upon the context of a joke. I'm sure there are jokes white people can make about black people that are funny (I saw a guy who said something about black people taking in crowded movie theaters), but in general unless something like that has a certain kind of history behind it it isn't going to work.

one of these days those nascar jokes, stupid people live in the south jokes, and sun going down in the south jokes are going to be more like 'jay london funny' and we'll all be in a better world

i still think alonzo's delivery reminds me of someone telling a couple of bad jokes before a boring speech....
    but he did an excellent job with the roast and he does have some really good material
    lcs2 will be a huge improvement over lcs1 if alonzo or heffron wins

Funny is funny...

>> just saying i know he can write good material, since he did great at the roast challenge, but he relies on making fun of white people too much for my taste (would a white guy making similar jokes about black people be your favorite to win? <<

Yes, his name was Ralphie May...

Door to Door...
    http://www.ralphiemay.com/may_doortodoor24.m3u

And his jokes on his CD about MLK holiday are hilarious...

Keith S. :{)>

My opinions:

Tammy:
    I'm Sicilian and Tammy's jokes didn't make me laugh. But she is right about most Sicilian's being Mafia baboons. The Mafia owns Sicily. Also, somebody else mentioned (and I agree) that all of her women impressions are exactly the same.

Kathleen:
    I did crack smiles during her bit. But I didn't laugh. I didn't even giggle.

Jay:
    *Sigh* I really did wish he'd stop saying that he was too deep for us. We get it! It just wasn't funny...

Alonzo:
    I don't really like his delivery... but some jokes are good. And some are repeated (I think that once a joke airs on tv, it should die...never to seen from a tv set ever again).

Gary:
    I think he's kinda funny. But he has a sort of ADHD that keeps him from standing still for even a second while telling joke... so sometimes I get distracted by the circles that he walks in.

John:
    I love him... I think I may have seen him on a Comedy Central Presents once because I saw that exact set (except longer and therefore more complete) on CCP before. But I watch so much CCP that I can never remember a name of a comic.

(BTW... did anybody see the Comedy Central Presents: Dat Phan? Same jokes! Maybe one new one... but with 25 minutes of comedy and a months to prepare he should have come up with a lot more. Die jokes die!)

Quote Originally Posted by Teppo
    I am befuddled by how often people say Jay Mohr is not funny. I admit he is not funny on this show but as a stand up, the guy is hysterical, although often obscene. Has anyone ever heard his Adam Sandler impersonation? It's hysterical.
    Yes, I agree he was particularly stupid on last nights show. But, if you ever get the chance to see him at the Improv, GO, he will not disappoint you.

Glad someone else had this thought. I don't find Jay very amusing on the show, but caught him at the Baltimore Improv a few months ago and he was hilarious,one of the best sets I have ever seen by a comic. His stuff is a lot more edgy, so he probably isn't use to having to tame it down to the likes of NBC.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast