+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 234567891011

Thread: 8/5 Show Discussion **Spoilers**

Jay London's stereo/mono joke made me laugh so hard that I don't remember what happened in the rest of his act (good thing I taped it), but alas, only a fraction of America gets what Jay does - whatta shame.
    "It takes grace to play the second fiddle well" - The Fall, "Strife Knot"

Nerds Just Wanna Have Fun Boredom's Avatar
    See, the thing with Jay is that I *get* his humor, and I like it. However, I just don't think that he was in the top 3 for the night? Fourth, perhaps, but not 3, 2, or 1. And especially not beating out Alonzo for a spot.

FORT Fanatic
    Quote Originally Posted by jer2911
    gotta agree with you there. it was cool to see his dad in the audience so proud of him....
    did kinda take away some of the 'classy' side of things with so many racist jokes in his material every time
    Alonzo does a lot of humor that comments on race relations, but is not "racist" IMHO.

There is a difference.

An example would be the joke about picking vegetables. I loved it when he said that blacks in America weren't picking any more vegetables, because they had DONE their pickin' time. That's not racist--it's just funny. And true.

FORT Fanatic
    Quote Originally Posted by Boredom
    See, the thing with Jay is that I *get* his humor, and I like it. However, I just don't think that he was in the top 3 for the night? Fourth, perhaps, but not 3, 2, or 1. And especially not beating out Alonzo for a spot.
    But the choice wasn't made based on that night--it was made based on the one before.

And there is no way Gulman was funnier than Jay or Tammy that night.

But Gulman doesn't get votes for having great humor: he gets votes for being mildly funny and good-looking.

Quote Originally Posted by jer2911
    gary - like a bit 6'6" cheez-it
    6'6 cheez-it

Gary's jokes are kind of simple, but he is still funny, in a sweet kind of way.
    I still prefer John Heffron's style. He's got that high-school-class-clown- without-being-annoying charm. Heffron would be perfect for a sitcom.

Alonzo has been on a roll, though. He's steam rollin' over everybody. Sure, some of his jokes are not politically correct, but this is stand-up comedy - anything goes.

I'll be happy if John or Alonzo win.

And there is no way Gulman was funnier than Jay or Tammy that night.
    You did not think so, but I most certainly did. I thought Jay was mildly amusing and I didn't like Tammy at all. Gary had me rolling. The only person who made me laugh harder was John, and I give Alonzo props for being unusually clever.

But Gulman doesn't get votes for having great humor: he gets votes for being mildly funny and good-looking.
    Gulman gets votes from people who think he's funny. You may not think he's funny, and that's your perogative, but it's a mistake to assume that nobody else finds him any funnier than you do.

FORT Fanatic
    Quote Originally Posted by abrahammy
    Gulman gets votes from people who think he's funny. You may not think he's funny, and that's your perogative, but it's a mistake to assume that nobody else finds him any funnier than you do.
    Well, of course you are correct, but it ia also true that many of the people who say they are voting for John or Gary add that they are "just so cute." I have yet to see that offered as a reason for voting for Alonzo, for example.

I was happy with the final three choices but again disappointed at Alonzo's overused hack cliché material (black people don't like hockey because it's something black being hit with sticks but golf is okay because something white is hit with a stick?) that joke is so over used I heard the exact same thing on "Tough Crowd with Colin Quinn" earlier that same week. Oh, and calling NASCAR fans stupid, way to mine new territory there, hack. Maybe he is used to NY crowds who love to have their own deluded sense of superiority over the rest of the country reinforced at all times.

Also, is anyone else tired of how they are dragging out this show over 3 weeks when it could easily have ended in one episode? First the wildcard show, then the results of the wildcard show then the final six show, then the results of the final six show then the final three and clip show 2 hour special then the final, final, maybe show. How many times do we have to see the same comics do their set to pick one? I don't appreciate paying for food that is mostly filler and I don't appreciate watching shows that are either.

Quote Originally Posted by Wolf
    6'6 cheez-it

Sure, some of his jokes are not politically correct, but this is stand-up comedy - anything goes.
    and it's a good thing. the last thing we need in this world is more people walking around trying to be politically correct!!!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 234567891011