+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast

Thread: 8/3 Show Discussion **Spoilers**

Long-time reader

No wonder votes don't matter...

*You can vote by phone 3 times per phone number you're calling from, including cellphones. You can vote by text message 3 times per phone number you're sending from.

Yeah, and I voted for John 30 times, and Gary once...
    =============

Gosh, wonder why I didn't vote tonight! Apparently it doesn't matter one iota. Folks know how to vote 30!!!!! times. This is not a typo. Read original post - she said it twice. 30 times.

I was really surprised that everyone did really well tonight.
    It was about time we saw some good stand-up acts.
    I even laughed a little bit more than usual at Jay's one-liner extravaganza.
    John is so adorable. He's got great delivery, and he is very charismatic. I just loved his joke about women being like marines, and the whole bit about the "we got to go" girl. Gary was funny, but his set sounded like he was targeting elementary kids with the cookie/milk jokes. Still funny, but not on the same caliber as the others, at least tonight. Tammy came out strong. she had some funny material. Kathleen started very slow, but she had me laughing out loud with the fish "missing" posters. Alonzo was hands-down the best,imo. His material was solid. He took a chance by using the ethnic jokes, but they worked. I laughed at his entire set.

My rankings:
    1. Alonzo
    2. John
    3. Kathleen
    4. Tammy
    5. Gary
    6. Jay

I only voted for Alonzo and John. Hope my two favorites advance.
    BTW, John's message on the phone was pretty funny. "You voted for me? Nice!!!" That guy always makes me smile.

I'm still not sure who I will put as number 1 between John and Alonzo, they both had me laughing a lot. I think I will pick John just because he will most likely get the more votes and it will hopefully help him a bit to get my the less deserving. Here is my rankings for the night:

1. John - Can relate to the audience very well, the bit about the "we gotta go girl" was hilarious

2. Alonzo - Very close second. He is an extremly good writer and really smart. If we don't see him in front of a mic he will be writing for shows.

3. Kathleen - Good material, good delivery, but don't see her winning it all.

4. Gary - He can relate to the crowd very well and his material is something everyone can relate to. The paper cutter thing had me laughing really hard.

5. Jay - Good jokes, but can't relate to everyone. Most people like him more as a person than a comedian

6. Tammy - The way she acted in the house killed her. Some jokes were funny but I just don't like her.

FORT Newbie

It doesn't matter

Can't believe all the votes Gulman and John are getting because they're puppy dog cute. Gulman's "jokes" couldn't be any worse. I wish I could have used the Snooze Button on him while enjoying a nice glass of milk and a sugar cookie. Sheesh, BORING!

John, he's like a 40 year old kid who's never grown up. I expect to see him arrested some day for throwing a frozen Nerf football in a bar at the "we gotta go" lady.

Pescatelli, what can I say, maybe if she showed her boobs instead of talked about 'em she would have gotten a sympathy vote. She's bombed consistently and tonight's no different.

Jay London, liked him as usual. He's at a disadvantage because he's had to perform so often. Still keeps his material fresh and he got my votes tonight.

Kathleen, we haven't seen much of her performing on the show so she still had all her "A" material. I don't like her delivery but her jokes were better than bar, milk, cookies and snooze buttons.

Alonzo, gotta give it up for him. He's the surprise of the show to me. I like his delivery and I actually think he may have topped Jay on this night.

So here goes:

1- Alonzo
    2- Jay
    3- Kathleen
    4- John
    5- Gulman
    6- Pescatelli mob

I voted for Jay because he went first and Alonzo went last which put Jay at a disadvantage...plus he's had to perform so many times and still gave us mostly new material.

FORT Fanatic
    Quote Originally Posted by aceiling
    Gary certainly got the 'little girl squeal' response when he was announced.
    Was it my imagination, or were there a ton of young women in that audience? It looked like there were at least three young women for every man. And very whitebread.

The producers have spoken: they obviously want Gary to win.

I was a bit surprised by the way I enjoyed last night's sets. I don't dislike anyone from watching the house, and if I like anyone it would be Jay. I try not to let that influence me, whereas after watching I find myself surprised. I was underwhelmed by Gary, highly disappointed in John, and surprised by Tammy. Not really what I expected beforehand.

Was it just me or did other people get hosed phone voting?

After a bunch (20?) of busy signals I got a couple of Darth Vaders (he's the voice of my phone company) telling me they could not connect my call, a few more busies and then a sweet voice teling me that I had used up my vote quota!!!!!!!!! Not one connection and I'm done?

I remember some posts that people had similar last week. Is this rampant, or am I the odd one out?

FORT Fanatic
    From the top:

Alonzo--he absolutely ruled last night. His humor has some edge, which I love, but last night he had less anger, which was smart. Even the stacked-with-Gary-fans audience loved him. He's by far the strongest comic of the group.

Tammy--I've always liked her presentation and her material was new and topical and very funny last night. She did a great job and the audience loved her. I really could not give a flying you know what about her supposed "behavior in the house."

Jay--I love his humor. I love word play. He just makes me laugh and laugh--AND I like him when he's on stage. He's really tied with Tammy.

John--I think he's an excellent comic, and I wanted to vote for him, but this was not his best effort. The basic concept was great--and true!--but it dragged on too long. He needed to either shorten the bit and use two, or find some better lines to fill it out. And it worked against that certain innocent element in his persona that separates him from most others.

Kathleen--Some very good material, but nothing developed enough. The way she kep saying "thank you" after every laugh irritated the hell out of me. When Jay says it, it's a joke in itself. When she says it, it's just filler, and meant to remind you that you just laughed. Her face was buried behind the mike. She needed to take it off the stand and move around, or something. Anything to develop some authority up there. And the ketchup joke was NOT witty--you could see it coming about 20 miles away. I can see that she's a pro, but she didn't do well tonight.

Gary--Enough with the cookies, already. Grow up. Okay, you're tall and handsome. Good for you. Are we supposed to be thrilled that a guy who is tall and handsome will make some effort to be funny too, instead of just standing there, waiting for us to admire him? Oh, wait....

I voted for Alonzo, Tammy, and Jay. I may have to find some way to cast some more votes online, since we now know that teenage girls are voting 30 times based solely on who they think is cute.

FORT Fanatic
    Quote Originally Posted by disappointed
    Was it just me or did other people get hosed phone voting?

After a bunch (20?) of busy signals I got a couple of Darth Vaders (he's the voice of my phone company) telling me they could not connect my call, a few more busies and then a sweet voice teling me that I had used up my vote quota!!!!!!!!! Not one connection and I'm done?

I remember some posts that people had similar last week. Is this rampant, or am I the odd one out?
    You can vote online before 1. Go to www.votenbc.com

Bopping to my own beat! realityluver's Avatar
    I thought Jay was awful and boring. I've never been a fan of his, so I guess it wouldn't change last night. I wasn't happy he got the wildcard spot, and I hope last night was the last time I have to hear him.

Kathleen was just not funny to me. I would be surprised if she makes it through. There are others that are funnier, and there are others that are more liked.

John was not as funny as he usually is to me. He was just alright, and that wasn't enough to make me laugh.

Gary was decent. He wasn't fall out laughing funny, but he had a few good ones. I enjoyed the snooze button jokes... partly because hitting snooze for at least an hour is part of my routine every morning.

I thought Tammy did the best I've ever seen her do. I actually laughed during her set. I was starting to wonder if there was anyone that could get me laughing (not just smile). Well Tammy did it.

Alonzo was by far the best of the night for me. He outdid all of them. His South Alabama bit was hilarious... loved the "mosy" thing. He is a brilliant comedian.

Alonzo got my 3 phone votes and 3 email votes. (I wasn't paying for text votes.)
    Phenomenal woman... that's me!!!

I thought Alonzo killed last night. I laughed out loud. I enjoyed Kathleen-first time I heard her. I smiled real broadly. I liked John, Gary, Tammy and Jay. I thought some of repeat was too bad-might have enjoyed them if they had more new material. I smiled. I caled in a vote for Ant!

+ Reply to Thread