+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213 LastLast

Thread: 7/29 Show Discussion **Spoilers**

Well, my theory that this whole "wild card" round was but another ploy by Producer Barry Katz to keep Ant on the show somehow seems to have crumbled, but only somewhat. As another poster pointed out, the top 5 have been ignored this week so that America can be force-fed all of the rejects one more time. The fact that Ant was surrounded by 4 other rejects is merely cover for Katz's Ant/Gulman marketing project, aka Last Comic Standing.

That said, I'd like to air my support for wild card winner Jay London. I think that some don't quite get that his "jokes" are not supposed to be very funny. It's his persona that his fans really enjoy. Remember last night when he got a huge laugh on a one-liner that made very little sense? He said, "Oh! That works." I think he's surprised he gets laughs for a lot of his "jokes" because they are intended to be GROANERS, and are really and truly the SET-UP for his real punchlines which are, "I'm sorry," "This will all be over soon," "Let's listen to the air conditioning now, shall we?"

Even his visual appearance is designed with comedic structure in mind. He comes out looking like the stand-in geek for Ozzy Osbourne, but is the complete opposite personality wise. He's polite, apologetic, and humble. Love him or hate him, this is a man who's put a great deal of thought into creating his act, and it stands out because it's unique. Everyone else is up there doing your typical cookie-cutter stand-up -- some better than others -- but clearly nothing that new.

Jay, if you read this board, here's my advice: Make your one-liners even worse, and write new and more clever apologies for when they bomb. For example:

"Best job I ever had was picking grapefruit, but I became bitter....I said I became.... I'm sorry. I'll take that one out. If it makes you feel any better, I have a fungus."

And like a fungus, this guy's growing on me. You go, Jay!
    Okay, kids! Who wants Navy Cake?

I was surprised that Jay, but not as disappointed as I would have been if others(bonnie & Ant) had won. Jay is not bad I wasn't sure how he would fare through out this country of ours. So my hats off to Jay!!! He will probably end being the Last Comic Standing.
    In the 60's, people took acid to make the world weird.
    Now the world is weird and people take Prozac to make it normal.

Good advice to Jay, Navycake!

For someone who has taken so much time crafting his persona, as you pointed out Navycake, Jay needs to have the voluminous material as other successful one-liner based comics...

I think Jay, on-stage, is funny. I don't think he did a single funny thing in the house (unless you count making a grilled cheese sandwich...or covering his crotch during yoga...) My problem wasn't that his one-liners aren't clever groaners that lead to amusing save lines...but that he doesn't have enough save lines to make the concept work. Never did that seem more true than in the Wild Card voting set.

My girlfriend jumped up and down and cheered when Jay was announced as the winner last night. I smiled (because it wasn't Ant, at least) but I wasn't quite as happy as she was... I asked her why she was excited and she said "I just like him."

He's got some fine-tuning and some more writing to do for me to get behind him...but I can see him winning this thing because I don't think that America is really going to vote for the most talented comic.

pg--seattle

Im not a big fan of Jay but i think he did good.Anyways at least it wasnt ANT.
    I think Todd has the funniest farewell. Ant's was just cheesy "you will always remember me" oh god...definetly ill try to forget that.

In the top 6 im rooting for John,Gary and Alonzo.

Quote Originally Posted by pg13
    My girlfriend jumped up and down and cheered when Jay was announced as the winner last night. I smiled (because it wasn't Ant, at least) but I wasn't quite as happy as she was... I asked her why she was excited and she said "I just like him."
    pg--seattle
    My 13 year old daughter cheered when Jay won as well. She calls him the Petco guy and says that same thing, she just likes him!!
    In the 60's, people took acid to make the world weird.
    Now the world is weird and people take Prozac to make it normal.

Quote Originally Posted by missamyh
    My 13 year old daughter cheered when Jay won as well. She calls him the Petco guy and says that same thing, she just likes him!!
    My 14 year old son did the same thing. I asked him why he liked Jay so much and he repeated the Petco hair products joke.

I have to admit It has taken me awhile, but each episode I have found myself enjoying his act more and more. The final wild card show, I actually liked him the best. Which is something I never figured would happen.

Quote Originally Posted by NYGal
    Am I the only one who is puzzled that they would devote two shows to the losers when we’ve barely heard from some of the finalists, Kathleen primarily? Bonnie, Todd, Jay, Cory and Ant have gotten more exposure than the final five. What is wrong with this picture?
    I was wondering the same thing, NYGal...we get to see the least funny ones over and over and over again, and are tortured with (I feel bad saying it) what seems like hours of Jay Mohr's sad attempts at being clever. WEIRD!

I mean, I love Jay London, and don't mind seeing him over and over again for some reason. And I like Todd Glass...not his humor...just him. Once in a while he actually says or does something funny in his set...but mostly he is funnier when he is just talking to the camera or acting insane in the house. Still, it seems the finalists are being cheated of air time. They should be showcasing themselves at this point.
    My opinions may have changed, but not the fact that I am right.
    -- Ashleigh Brilliant

[/QUOTE]That said, I'd like to air my support for wild card winner Jay London. I think that some don't quite get that his "jokes" are not supposed to be very funny. It's his persona that his fans really enjoy. "

Uh...okay. is it just Me, or is comedy SUPPOSED to be funny. If Jay London wants to sell persona, he should go on "the Real World." ech.

Todd Glass should have won the Wild Card.

I think he's funny, but he has to get new material to win this next week.

Oooh so Jay got the sixth place..I missed the episode..I think Ant or Todd supposed to get the sixth place because they are funnier, most of Jay's material on Tuesday night, he used it in Jay Leno couple weeks earlier.which is I think is lame

+ Reply to Thread