+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast

Thread: 7/29 Show Discussion **Spoilers**

FORT Fanatic
    Quote Originally Posted by NYGal
    Am I the only one who is puzzled that they would devote two shows to the losers when weve barely heard from some of the finalists, Kathleen primarily? Bonnie, Todd, Jay, Cory and Ant have gotten more exposure than the final five. What is wrong with this picture?
    Excellent point. If audience votes really count, Kathleen is going to have to do a laughed-til-I-cried set in order to win, since we have seen nothing of her.

Of the remaining comics, I really think John and Alonzo are both solid professionals. I hope they both have great sets. I find it hard to choose between them, but I do like Alonzo's dangerous edge--it seems to me that he may have the potential to be one of those really outstanding mordantly funny comics who actually has something to say, beyond just getting laughs.

If Gulman wins, I may have to open a vein. :phhht

I know if I was Kathleen, I would've been praying to go to a head-to-head. That weak cheer she got was just confirmation that no one knows what she can really do.
    "The difference between reality and fiction? Fiction has to make sense."
    Good luck to the Good Guys on the Inferno!

I guess I'm utterly amazed that Bonnie is so stuck on herself. She said at the end something like (and I'm paraphrasing here) that people didn't get because he comedy was smart and witty. Implying that your stupid if you don't get her comedy. Nobody got you, because you weren't that funny. I hope we don't see much more of her.

Thing is I liked her in the try outs, but her attitude has totally alienated me.
    In the 60's, people took acid to make the world weird.
    Now the world is weird and people take Prozac to make it normal.

I thought it would be Ant or Todd, and was rooting for Todd, but pleased that it was between Jay and Todd. I think they might have seemed to perform better last night because the pressure was OFF as the votes were done. Last night was just for show -- as it should be.

I don't think Jay stands a chance in the finals, but good for him and his career. Remember his tiny little apartment? He really needs a break, and LCS has been great exposure for him. He also got those new head shots which Ant was gracious enough to give to him after winning it legitimately during one of the competitions in the show. I can see Jay getting sitcom parts where he plays a minor character who walks onto the set and says a few lines and goes away until the next episode. He certainly has a distinctive and memorable LOOK, and that should work in his favor in Hollywood. But leading man in a sitcom? Sorry! Unless it's a sitcom about a caveman. Hey! They should remake "It's About Time" (60s sitcom) starring Jay London -- that would be perfect for him!!

Corey is a likeable guy, but his routine is not laugh-out-loud funny to me. I smirk and wince and cringe, but don't find myself laughing.

Bonnie was just droll. Too bad. Nice looking, but her personality just doesn't work for me. I think if she had some more zippity-doo-da, that would help.

Ant is just not "real" enough for me during his routines. And I've heard ALL of those jokes before, and not just from HIM. Ripping off other people's old material is a serious hack offence in the world of stand-up.

Todd is a natural goofball, and I like his style. The parts that took me out of his routine was when he would say arrogant things like "I SO have this in the BAG!" or commenting on the audience laughing saying "I'm doing GREAT!". Here's a tip for you Todd: Say those things to YOURSELF, not OUT LOUD! Humble and funny woulda' worked more in your favor, buddy. I still look forward to your zaniness on Colin Quinn's show, which has been a great forum for former LCS contestants.

For the final five, the ONLY times we have seen Kathleen Madigan do anything was ... ummm ... NEVER! The tryouts and the stupid little competitions. But those were nothing. For someone who made the final five, we the audience have not seen why she's there! Everybody else has been involved in head-to-heads but Kathleen. Don't get me wrong, I've seen her act for years and know she's good, but I also know Will Durst is great and has been around forever, and he didn't even make the HOUSE!

Hopefully Jay Mohr will have some help in writing his monologues and segues, because he has gotten worse as the shows have progressed. I'd like to see more of his impressions. He does a great Chris Walken and Colin Quinn. But his Jay Mohr is a little weak.

getreal, great post. Personally, I'd like to see a sitcom with Heffron in the lead, and Jay London as a bit player. And I'd like to hear London's sitcom pitch, but alas, we'll never know.
    "The difference between reality and fiction? Fiction has to make sense."
    Good luck to the Good Guys on the Inferno!

FORT Fan
    I was surprised Jay London won. Although he does seem like a "nice guy" and I'm happy for him, his one-liners aren't that funny to me. As others have mentioned, his "Am I bothering you?" "Let me move farther away" (as he moves about an inch), "Please like me," "It'll be over soon," repeating a joke as if people didn't get it, etc. routine gets old very fast. Also, the hair-in-his-face & hunched over look drives me nuts. I feel like saying -- Get the hair out of your face & straighten up! Lol. Of course, that's his persona so I doubt he'll change... I wish him & the others well.

Nerds Just Wanna Have Fun Boredom's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolf
    Oh well, this show has just been one big dissapointment so I guess it doesn't matter who advances.

Really, none of the 5 had a chance of winning, because they were all booted for a reason. I mean, there's basically no chance that one of them could pull a 'Clay' (minus the cries of billions of fangirlies, of course) because they really aren't... GOOD enough. The top 5 were the top 5 because they were good (yes, even Gary probably deserves the number 5 seat). As much as Jay has managed to grow on me over the course of the season, he'll probably get the number 6 spot. Now, that's not necessarily a bad thing, as now he's been in as many shows as the top 5 (equal exposure in theory, except for the magical, dissapearing Kathleen Madigan), and, had he made an attention song *cough*toddglass*cough* he might have been thrown into the pits of Reality TV suckiness... instead, he'll just get some good exposure, which could help him in the long run.

I voted for Jay. I am thrilled for him to have won.....especially because it was America who voted him back in!!! I think it takes a true comic to come up with the one liners that Jay is able to do. I fell in love with Jay after the way he handled being defeated in the head on with Gary. He was gracious and classy. A true gentleman. He may not win it all.......but I hope someone out there takes notice. In my opinion he is a refreshing comic.[/QUOTE]"your actions speak so loudly I cannot hear what you say"

JAY WON?!?!?!?! WHAT???!!! Todd and Ant were WAY funnier

"please like me." I was like
    Interested in Titanic the game? click the link and watch this completely origional game play out. click here

Could Todd Glass have purposefully tanked?

I know that Todd annoyed a lot of people in the house--but last night, when they ran a clip of him in the house...THOSE WERE THE ONLY FUNNY THINGS THAT HAPPENED IN THE HOUSE! Todd was the rat in the kitchen, the hide & seek game, the bathing in the tub, the talk show, the ninja chairs and the tennis game...all in himself! Everything else was forced drama due to a silly alliance scheme...or a dog thrown in for no good reason.

Beyond that, though...Todd blew his set at the preliminaries (according to the reports that had him forgetting the punchline of his second joke), he seemed rushed and uncoordinated in his head to head against Tammy (and still "barely" lost that round) and then didn't really deliver the goods at the Wild Card voting show...

But...if I'm not mistaken, didn't Todd have an excellent set last night? I thought Todd finally did what I'd expected Todd to do on stage since I first heard he was going to be in the competition. Maybe he was saving this set for the finals (although, I don't think last night was his "A" material because he slyly referenced FORT-like places) or maybe he was doing the "yeah, I lost, but I wasn't really trying" thing that preserves some egos in competitions...

I wasn't surprised that America voted for Jay...but I stand by my statement that I didn't think that Jay had a great set on the Wild Card voting show. I think people voted for Jay...not his act.

And I can't believe how awful, insincere and plastic Ant is... I am now erasing every file in my brain that ever made a memory of him so that his final statement of how we would always remember him would be embarrassingly wrong.

Ant who?

pg--seattle

PS--Seriously though, I thought Todd was very funny last night and damn him for forcing America to make him punch his cat!

+ Reply to Thread