+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678

Thread: 7/27 Show Discussion **Spoilers**

Quote Originally Posted by abrahammy
    If the joke works, people are laughing too hard to care that it's mean. If people are more aware of the meanness than they are of the funny, the joke did not work.
    Exactly.

pg--seattle
    (Even if we disagree in a few cases regarding personal opinions, we agree on the main point...which is what I love about the FORT.)

FORT Fan
    I understand that comedic routines are often mean. I can enjoy mean jokes if they are funny. I also agree that Dave Mordahl, in particular, was by far the best stand-up comic on-stage that they had last year.

I was one person who thought that the other contestants were too mean last year, but not in terms of their on-stage material. Yes, Dat could be irritating, but their methods of dealing with him were worthy of an elementary school playground. In the end, I found poor little Dat the least objectionable person left in a very weak field. The best of this year's crew would have him for lunch.

Well, I'm not a real big fan of Rickles, but the rest of the names you mention are master comedians who are infinately superior to most of the folks who go on this show.

Skill plays a huge factor here. Alonzo is much, much, MUCH better at making this kind of joke than Corey is. Corey comes off as an extremely offensive, misogynistic jerk and I absolutely can't stand him. Alonzo makes biting commentary about the battle of the sexes. No question in my mind which one of them is by far the better comic.

If the joke works, people are laughing too hard to care that it's mean. If people are more aware of the meanness than they are of the funny, the joke did not work.
    You speak the truth, prophet.

I actually thought some of them were funny- I thought Bonnie and Jay London were funny - Ant was funny in his Ant way- I did not think Corey was funny all the way through- I hate that phony ending of his - I'm Corey Holcolm- whenever he says it, it's like a SNL sketch- but his Christmas stuff I thought was really funny- but it could not save the rest of the act.

I missed Todd Glass's act so I don't know how he did- I have no idea who will make it back in- it's a toss-up- people hate Bonnie so I don't think she will go through- any of the rest might make it- although people hate Ant but you never know--

Anyone Game?

Play Chris Devine's version of Internet's LCS under the Fun and Games in the Off-Topic forum...

Last Comic Standing

Keith S. :{)>

I was very dissapointed in tuesday night's show. I thought the wildcards would put forth their best material in order to advance, but it seemed like they didn't care. In my opinion, they all had pretty pathetic sets. None of them deserve to advance. If I HAD to pick one, it would be a toss up between Corey and Todd.

I was underwhelmed by last nights show. I looking hoping to see some great stand-up, but all of the so-called comics forgot bring something to last night's show.........they forgot to bring the funny!!!!! They forgot to bring ANY funny. I was ready to see these people put up a fight for the wildcard slot. I thought they would put on show, and the next day I would say to my friends, they were all so good it will be tough to decide who to vote for. I would have thought with something as important as this, on the line for these would be entertainers, that they might have tried.
    In the 60's, people took acid to make the world weird.
    Now the world is weird and people take Prozac to make it normal.

Bopping to my own beat! realityluver's Avatar
    Skill plays a huge factor here. Alonzo is much, much, MUCH better at making this kind of joke than Corey is. ... Alonzo makes biting commentary about the battle of the sexes. No question in my mind which one of them is by far the better comic.
    No argument here. I think Alonzo is the better comic too.

But I still say Corey is funny.
    Phenomenal woman... that's me!!!

FORT Fanatic
    Quote Originally Posted by Mantenna
    So, Jay Mohr's supposed to be a comedian?

Yes, I'm just kidding, but I don't think the guy is funny at all. I wish I could somehow vote him out.
    Too true! He is painful at least 50% of the time.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678