+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: 7/27 Show Discussion **Spoilers**

Quote Originally Posted by Xantham Gum
    I can't speak for women, but I know that if a female comic spends too much of her act attacking men it can turn me off. Corey's jokes about women didn't even ring true in a funny way like Alonzo's bits on them did for me.

I would imagine that if I were a female I would be mad about Corey's hypocrisy of talking about how he is looking for a rich girl to sponge off of and then going into a bit about marriage where he says women get married to men so they can get hold of their bank accounts.
    My husband is total guy's guy, and he didn't even crack a smile at Corey's jokes. If you're going to offend, then at least make it funny.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

saw Bonnie and Tammy at Comedy Festival in Montreal-Tammy killed and Bonnie died

So, Jay Mohr's supposed to be a comedian?

Yes, I'm just kidding, but I don't think the guy is funny at all. I wish I could somehow vote him out.

Comedy is not pretty, comedy is not nice.

A lot of people who championed Dat Phan last year did so because he was so "nice" and they complained that Dave Mordal, Rich Vos and Cory Kahaney were mean.

These people do not know mean. These people never listened to Bill Hicks, Sam Kinison, Doug Stanhope, Don Rickles, Lenny Bruce, Redd Foxx...

Everyone has their personal level of taste when it comes to how cringeworthy they enjoy their comedy...but taking a risk, pushing the envelope as well as your audiences buttons, can bring a much bigger laugh than anyone (I'm looking at Gary Gulman) who plays it safe could ever hope to. Of course, it can also backfire on them...but that's the risk...and you'll never get the really big laughs without taking risks...

Was Corey misogynistic? Only if you didn't see that he was making fun of MEN while making fun of women...

Was Bonnie being bitchy? Only if you didn't see that she was making fun of herself as well as her surroundings...

Again, I'm not saying that anyone should have enjoyed Corey or Bonnie more than they did...comedy is about what makes you laugh and if you didn't laugh, you didn't like them... But criticizing someone for being mean while making jokes--at some level, a joke is "on" someone or something, whether it is a joke on the comic, on the subject of the joke or even a joke on the audience--is essentially "mean."

The key is not whether it's mean...the key is whether it's funny.

pg--seattle

FORT Regular
    Jay M: funny in movies, sucks on stage
    Corey: Liked the new material, his delivery was shaky and I think that affected his overall performance. He's either camera shy or just very nervous about this level of competition. My bet he rocks in normal situation. If the guy could have relaxed, I think his routine would have gone over better. BTW, I'm female and the word offended didn't even cross my mind. His act is also very "every day life" versus coming up with stuff off the wall. My guess he could do 20 minutes of material without any problems.

Bonnie: Her appearance change made it easier to focus on what she was saying. Unfortunately her flow wasn't there. Also, I have no problem with the "I'm the bomb, I'm so pretty, I'm better than everyone else" type of material, but Bonnie just can't carry it out. She just came across like she had to do the show and wanted to get out of there asap.

Jay: Definitely better than I've ever seen him. (he died on The Tonight Show the night after his elimination). Some repeated material, but I don't know if it was repeated from the show or from The Tonight Show appearance. He definitely didn't know how to handle the warm response he was getting and it made his gag of the audience not liking him fall a bit flat. Overall, I thought his act was the best tonight, but, unfortunately for Jay, I can't imagine watching him do this bit for 20 minutes on a tV special.

Ant: Okay, I couldn't tell if Ant was doing a comedy routine or auditioning for a television show. He was very choreographed. The movements, the inflictions on certain words, etc. Ant would work well on an variety show where the skits areover exaggerated to be funny. If they had a modern day Laugh-In, he'd fit in well. He had the laughs tonight, but those too came across as orchestrated.

Todd: The guy is all over the place. That should be able to work. Unfortunately for Todd his material wasn't memorable because I couldn't tell you one bit he had. I'm sure he's good after spending $20 on the two drink minimum though. Just didnt' work on TV.

I laughed the most at:
    1. Jay London
    2. Corey
    3. Todd
    4. Ant
    5. Bonnie

In watching last night I was ready for any of the wildcards to bring on the A game and make me laugh out loud. Corey was flat again too bad. Bonnie made no sense..a litttle bitter and not funny. Jay was Jay ..he made me laugh a couple of times including the Mastercard ad... Ant tore it up. I was laughing pretty hard at his material .. the manwich joke was a stitch. His delivery was 50% and the material was 50%. Todd fell flat and did nothing for me at all.

So as much as I wanted someone other than Ant to win I think he took this opportunity seriously and gave it his all. Oh well if he does come back it should be interesting ......

Other thoughts...

Some other things that crossed my mind about this show...

Corey--doesn't work as the first comic. His whole "welcome to the ghetto portion of the show" attitude (granted, he didn't do the actual bit last night, but he bases his persona on that general concept) seems to be a bit of a counterpuncher... He has a style and a flow that is definitely different to most stand-ups... Laid back, smooth... When there's nothing to compare it to, it seems flat and lacking energy.

Bonnie--the appearance change was meant to soften her up, as were the "I'm just kidding" smiles after some jokes. Maybe that didn't work for her...maybe she's got to sharpen the claws and go back to the sKankWear attire to make her attitude come across fully. I felt she was wavering between what she felt people wanted her to be...and the person she is...and that can be death for a comedian.

Jay--I don't get how anyone felt that this was a good performance for Jay. He had weaker than normal material...and the fact that he had to repeat so much, even to end up with a weaker-than-I've-seen-from-him-before performance indicates that he's not as deep with the one-liners as Jay Mohr was giving him credit for having in the preliminary rounds. And, as been mentioned on here before, his act depends on him not doing well and making fun of that...which, as I said before, isn't the best style to rely on in a competition.

Ant--is plastic. I don't believe anything he says as being real or in the moment, it all seems entirely too forced, rehearsed...and obvious. The fact that I'd heard most of his material coming from the mouths of others over the years didn't help (especially when he closed on the same boxing joke that had Joe Rogan calling him a hack/thief to his face at the preliminary round last year.) If you want to see someone do what Ant wishes he could do, go check out any of Scott Thompson's Buddy Cole monologues on the newly released Kids In the Hall DVDs. Sad to say, I think Ant will probably get the nod to be the wildcard in the finals...and I'm sure his manager and LCS executive producer will be only too proud of that fact... For me, I'm :snap: not impressed.

Todd--oh, Todd, Todd, Todd, Todd...Todd. I bragged you up and down on this message board as being a headline performer...along with Kathleen Madigan, the only headline performer that I was familiar with who made the house (with continued regret for not seeing Pablo Francisco in the house this year...) I read that you'd bombed in the preliminaries, even forgetting a joke in the process, but you made it to the house while Dan Naturman was robbed... I stood up for you as you annoyed America...because the knife thing--gold, sleeping through yoga--classic, the slamming doors thing--sweet, the attention song--giggle inducing... I held out hope that you'd get the alliance-forming, back-stabbing, Ant-liking, Bonnie-hating, same-joke-repeating Tammy out of the house...but your set was a bit haphazard. Given the chance to come back as a wild card, and getting the glory position of closing the night...with five months to come up with and properly rehearse a killer four minutes...I thought, I hoped, I...was disappointed. A pop out to end the game--not funny enough to convert the people who think you're annoying and definitely not funny enough to be this year's Dave Mordal.

Still, I'll probably beg to be your MC when you come to Seattle in November, so...thumbs up from me, Todd!

pg--seattle
    PS--You think I'm kidding about begging to MC...but if you're at Giggles when Todd comes to town, you'll see.

Quote Originally Posted by Xantham Gum
    I agree completely. I had thought a lot of these people got a raw deal but watching their sets last night made me think maybe they SHOULD have been eliminated. I also wanted Todd to kill, but he barely wounded. I still hope he or Bonnie get back in, definitely NOT Ant or Corey and much as I like Jay, he doesn't deserve it.

I totally agree with everything you said in your post. Last night I was totally expecting killer sets from these people because they should really want back in the competition. I'm not saying they don't want back in but um they didn't impress me. I REALLY wanted Todd to kill but he didn't. I still supported him however and gave him 2 votes. I will be so pissed off if Ant or Corey get back in....which from the looks on this messageboard and others it looks like I'm going to have to be pissed off. They personally didn't make me laugh...AT ALL but everyone likes different stuff. -shrug-
    ~BB5 - rooting for Nakomis, Drew, Adria, Nat and Diane.
    ~LCS2 - JOHN HEFFRON
    ~Road Rules Xtreme - Patrick and Derrick

<3
    ~Brittany~

Quote Originally Posted by Mantenna
    So, Jay Mohr's supposed to be a comedian?

Yes, I'm just kidding, but I don't think the guy is funny at all. I wish I could somehow vote him out.
    I like Jay Mohr alot...in movies. But for this show the host should really be...funny. Oh well, I think most reality shows nowadays have bad hosts. I love Jay though!

I think the only time I laughed at his openings throughout this show was um the cat joke.
    ~BB5 - rooting for Nakomis, Drew, Adria, Nat and Diane.
    ~LCS2 - JOHN HEFFRON
    ~Road Rules Xtreme - Patrick and Derrick

<3
    ~Brittany~

lot of people who championed Dat Phan last year did so because he was so "nice" and they complained that Dave Mordal, Rich Vos and Cory Kahaney were mean.
    I understand that comedic routines are often mean. I can enjoy mean jokes if they are funny. I also agree that Dave Mordahl, in particular, was by far the best stand-up comic on-stage that they had last year.

I did not think either Rich or Cory were funny or effective at all on the finale last year during their final performances - and that is why I did not vote for them. I thought last year's finale was, for the most part, almost as bad as last night's Wild Card round. (I expect much better stuff when the real contestants strut their stuff next Tuesday; I think this year's finalists kick last year's butt. All of them. Except Tammy. )

I was one person who thought that the other contestants were too mean last year, but not in terms of their on-stage material. Yes, Dat could be irritating, but their methods of dealing with him were worthy of an elementary school playground. In the end, I found poor little Dat the least objectionable person left in a very weak field. The best of this year's crew would have him for lunch.
    These people do not know mean. These people never listened to Bill Hicks, Sam Kinison, Doug Stanhope, Don Rickles, Lenny Bruce, Redd Foxx...
    Well, I'm not a real big fan of Rickles, but the rest of the names you mention are master comedians who are infinately superior to most of the folks who go on this show.

Was Corey misogynistic? Only if you didn't see that he was making fun of MEN while making fun of women...
    Skill plays a huge factor here. Alonzo is much, much, MUCH better at making this kind of joke than Corey is. Corey comes off as an extremely offensive, misogynistic jerk and I absolutely can't stand him. Alonzo makes biting commentary about the battle of the sexes. No question in my mind which one of them is by far the better comic.

Was Bonnie being bitchy? Only if you didn't see that she was making fun of herself as well as her surroundings...
    Yeah, but here's the thing... I didn't laugh at Bonnie at all. Not a chortle, not a giggle last night.

comedy is about what makes you laugh and if you didn't laugh, you didn't like them... But criticizing someone for being mean while making jokes--at some level, a joke is "on" someone or something, whether it is a joke on the comic, on the subject of the joke or even a joke on the audience--is essentially "mean."
    If the joke works, people are laughing too hard to care that it's mean. If people are more aware of the meanness than they are of the funny, the joke did not work.
    Last edited by abrahammy; 07-28-2004 at 08:57 PM.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast