+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: 7/27 Show Discussion **Spoilers**

All my votes went to Corey. I thought he did a great job and maybe could have beaten John Heffron if he'd use last night's set instead of the previous on
    Corey taking down John Heffron...Dont Think So.
    Corey pisses a lot of people off with his anti-women jokes.
    I mean one joke about it is okey but i mean his whole set is about that.
    I like him but i just dont think he would take John Heffron.I voted for Corey one time last time..Pity perhaps?
    All my other votes went to Todd cuz hes my favorite...

My psychic sense tells me that Ant Will Win :phhht
    but my psychic sense is rarely right
    If it is then im gonna start my own psychic line imao :rolleyes
    anyways i think Ant will win....but i wish he didnt

And every comic who thinks about trying out for LCS should read this thread...

People like who they like--and that's the problem with the "America Decides" section of Last Comic Standing.

Reading through this thread, I was amazed to see how many people are going to vote (multiple times, no less) for comics...based on their personas and personalities rather than on their performances.

I'm not saying you don't have the right to vote for whoever you like...I'm saying that's what gives us Dat Phan--the plucky, likeable underdog who was picked on by the other housemates--as the Last Comic Standing, instead of Cory Kahaney who actually had the best set the night of the first season finals.

As an example... Jay London did not have a very good set last night and while every comic reused some material that we've seen them use before, Jay reused the most. If you vote (multiple times, no less) for Jay "because he's so sweet", you're voting merely on how you perceive him to be as a person...as influenced by the editors of the show.

As another example... Liking Todd for sets he's done that were not on the show...or disliking him for being obnoxious in the house...and voting based on either of those opinions is somewhat counterproductive to idea of the competition...

Honestly, I didn't see anyone in this group that I thought deserved to move on to the finals. (I confess that I wanted Todd to knock it out of the park but he popped it up. ) I didn't think any of them bombed but I didn't think that any of them really showed that they were unduly eliminated during the competition.

And, since there's no more "house" antics--just stand-up sets until this thing ends--there's really no point in voting for someone just because they're "nice," anymore...

pg--seattle
    the bitter curmudgeon ruining everyone else's good time

Nerds Just Wanna Have Fun Boredom's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Maxsayssticks
    Ant: Ugh. Here's what I heard from him "I'm a drunk drug addicted homosexual." I found absolutely no part of his set either original OR funny. (And I want any ant-supporters to challenge this), and I don't think that it comes down to personal taste. I just don't think his humor is intelligent at all, and wouldn't consider voting for him.
    I'm going to have to disagree with you, especially with the phrase in bold. I think that (for the first time) Ant was good, not because his humor was 'intelligent', because it wasn't, really, but because he could make light of some topics that we didn't know that Ant could make fun of. I actually found myself kind of liking his set as it went on, simply because the material (aside from the boxing joke) seemed fresh and not worn-out (yet). All of the other comics (except for Corey) repeated at least something from a previous set. So I think that Ant's "new" feel was definitely a big shocker, and made people think "maybe this guy is better than we thought". Think of it as an old car with a new-car smell, as opposed to a few old cars the smell like old cars - at least, that was the way I saw it.

dvm
    Get off the hate train.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aalydah
    Corey taking down John Heffron...Dont Think So.
    Corey pisses a lot of people off with his anti-women jokes.
    I mean one joke about it is okey but i mean his whole set is about that.
    I like him but i just dont think he would take John Heffron.I voted for Corey one time last time..Pity perhaps?
    All my other votes went to Todd cuz hes my favorite...
    But Corey didn't piss me off. I actually found his set to be really good. Plus, why argue? I was just giving my opinion for crying out loud! I personally felt his set last night was better than John Heffron's last H2H.

I personally dislike Ant. I think hes funny sometimes but after seeing him in the house i just dont like him anymore.Maybe if i didnt watch LCS i would have voted for him because he was the best but just like the last poster said its just that new car smell.

I know that from now on it there will be no more house(so theres no more alliances and no more funny stuff there) but when i voted i voted for who i thought was the best comic,the one who made me laugh and the one who has a style that i like and everyone has their own favorites.
    Ant style i like,his delivery is good but dont take me wrong i just think he doesnt deserve to be in the final 6.( Maybe because i cant stand him and his jokes are not funny for me)
    Bonnie was mean and depressing( i am depressed do i need more negative comedy in my life?)
    Corey was insulting women( i mean i would laugh at some of them but base his whole set on that..No more ghetto for me)
    Jay as much as i want to love him his one liners just fall flat(i think i turned the channel at while he was performing i mean his thank yous and it will be over soon miss boring for me)
    Ant (i liked his delivery i didnt laugh much at his jokes but he was confident like he always is)
    Todd was the funniest (at least for me lol many ppl think he sucked(probably cuz i dun have a good comedy sense)What a second how many ( ) have i done? ok back to Lcs i love todd comedy style he's happy and he doesnt use crude comedy i think he's a pretty funny guy...so i voted for him..

But Corey didn't piss me off. I actually found his set to be really good. Plus, why argue? I was just giving my opinion for crying out loud! I personally felt his set last night was better than John Heffron's last H2H.
    Im just refering to the probabilities of Corey winning agaisnt John.Corey set is good but it targets like half of the audience.Some people can find it funny but some cant because basing a whole set trashing women can piss some of them off.John set doesnt offend anyone and he's got the looks so more women will go for him.I like him and all but i was just giving my opinion on who would win in that scenario.

Quote Originally Posted by pg13
    People like who they like--and that's the problem with the "America Decides" section of Last Comic Standing.

Reading through this thread, I was amazed to see how many people are going to vote (multiple times, no less) for comics...based on their personas and personalities rather than on their performances.

I'm not saying you don't have the right to vote for whoever you like...I'm saying that's what gives us Dat Phan--the plucky, likeable underdog who was picked on by the other housemates--as the Last Comic Standing, instead of Cory Kahaney who actually had the best set the night of the first season finals.

As an example... Jay London did not have a very good set last night and while every comic reused some material that we've seen them use before, Jay reused the most. If you vote (multiple times, no less) for Jay "because he's so sweet", you're voting merely on how you perceive him to be as a person...as influenced by the editors of the show.

As another example... Liking Todd for sets he's done that were not on the show...or disliking him for being obnoxious in the house...and voting based on either of those opinions is somewhat counterproductive to idea of the competition...

Honestly, I didn't see anyone in this group that I thought deserved to move on to the finals. (I confess that I wanted Todd to knock it out of the park but he popped it up. ) I didn't think any of them bombed but I didn't think that any of them really showed that they were unduly eliminated during the competition.

And, since there's no more "house" antics--just stand-up sets until this thing ends--there's really no point in voting for someone just because they're "nice," anymore...

pg--seattle
    the bitter curmudgeon ruining everyone else's good time
    Well, that's always going to be a factor in audience voting shows. Even on American Idol, which shows very little in-house activities and has tons of editing, some voters base their votes on perceived personalities. Talent is subjective in itself so sometimes personality is the deciding factor.

There's always room for curmudgeons.
    "The difference between reality and fiction? Fiction has to make sense."
    Good luck to the Good Guys on the Inferno!

Interesting reading above. Is it really "last loser standing"? Is it NBC trying to gouge advertisers some more? Is there really that little material worth broadcasting that they needed to drag this out to the olympics? Is it a last ditch effort to get one of the producers [read managers] clients into the finals? Does the "winner" really stand a chance?

Last night was mildly entertaining, but not a great show. Sorry, I didn't laugh that much.

The one big laugh I had was Jay's master card joke to close his set. Otherwise, I was disappointed because I probably enjoy him the best. I can see how he would lose out in general though since my wife has said she doesn't like to have to think about her humor....

My surprise of the evening was finding Ant tolerable. As noted by others, he had different material and I found it somewhat amusing. But as was to be expected, halfway through he resorted back to being as queer as a $3 bill.

I agree with a previous post, voting based on house antics defeats the purpose. But I must admit taking emotion out of the equation didn't leave a lot of comedy to work with last night (IMO).

Was it just me, or did Jay Mohr really flog to death the "loser" aspect of the people performing last night? Seemed to me to be way over the top and really, really overdone. Of course, consider the source, Jay Mohr thinks he's a comedian. Some day some friend will take him aside and confide to him he's just a big anal pore. If he's going to insist on talking into the microphone he should really invest in a joke writer.

How will they find a way to fill an hour tomorrow???????? A lot of AI type waste of and hour with "coming up next" that never happens until the end anyway stuff? Hope not. This edition has become boring enough compared to last years.

I am now looking forward to the olympics. Because, if other threads are to be believed, the funny people from last year will be back on the air in time for Labor Day!!!

I did not vote...

Going in I was cheering for Bonnie, Todd and then Corey. Ant is such a little bitch...and Jay is painful to watch for only ha-ha twisted jokes...

Corey had new material and the funniest joke IMO the one they replayed about sharing his woman with a sensitive man, he could do his woman, than the sensitive man would be able to go cuddle and talk to her for him...but the rest was not real good...

Bonnie also had mostly new material, but as others have mentioned she is lacking some comedic qualities...

Todd did another set which he played the unprepared wide-eyed comic, only not playing it as far as his elimination...but this theme is a loser...he seems to be a better comic...but it is not coming across here.

Jay actually had a couple of good new lines tonight, but nothing on the lines of his fourth from the right on the evolutionary chart...the one trick pony of this year along with last year's Teri (I wanted to look like someone famous...so my hairdresser made me look like the Statue of Liberty)...

Ant was probably the funniest tonight. It pains me to say it. His San Francisco and Scooby Doo jokes were shelved, he came up with some new material and rescued some of his old material and made it work, but the purse and belt and silk boxer half naked men joke I had remembered and I groaned when he did it...

But overall there is a reason most of them will be two time losers...Bonnie was right, it was so much fun losing the first time I wanted to come back and do it again...

I loved the format of this show though! I want to see them perform and some background or comments and America voting instead of the comedians buddies and agents...

If I were forced to vote it would have been Corey...but since none of them were compelling enough...I will let the rest of America decide on this vote...

Keith S. :{)>

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast