+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast

Thread: 7/20 Show Discussion **Spoilers**

FORT Fan
    Quote Originally Posted by mozzz
    Completely agree! Everyone has been so afraid to challenge Kathleen in the head-to-head competitions, yet she never does well in the weekly challenges to prove her skills to us - how far can she go in this show on her just her reputation amongst the other challengers?? It's nice seeing the others adapt to the challenges and show at least some improvisational skills, whereas Kathleen is impressing me less and less all the time, even though I know her set is probably well rehearsed and very solid.

Gary isn't going to win the whole thing, is he?
    Kathleen is going to get my vote EVERY SINGLE WEEK purely based on her brilliant sitcom pitch!! lolol

If you're familiar with the Branson, Missouri reference, you can (I hope) appreciate how hilarious her concept is. The idea of a wisecracking city girl stuck in that backwater nowheresville, trying to make funny, is hysterical!! I'm trying to think of an analogy. Let's see: Picture Jay London being hired as a stylist at Jonathon Salon in Beverly Hills. Yeah, that's it.

I know Kathleen hasn't really shown us her stuff on LCS. It's all in the editing, as we know. But I've seen her elsewhere and she rocks. I can't wait for her to do her thing on this show. I like Alonzo and Jon. I like some of Gary's stuff, too. But overall I still pick Kathleen to win if we're basing the vote on talent alone.

Dogbat, I think you've pegged why Alonzo didn't draw any laughs out of me, though I think his material is always good. He's a great writer, but his angry look is a bit off-putting. What made him so endearing and hilarious at the roast was a genial quality and elegance. He's also in-your-face, which attracts some, and doesn't attract others. Still, I know he's nice...he puts up with Tammy (!) and he's VERY deserving. He and Gary have worked hard.
    "The difference between reality and fiction? Fiction has to make sense."
    Good luck to the Good Guys on the Inferno!

FORT Fan
    i'm an aggie
    disregard previous post

thank you

(jay london impression above)
    Last edited by jer2911; 07-21-2004 at 09:15 AM.

FORT Fan
    alonzo does have really good stuff....he's a good writer, but i agree on his delivery.
    before i thought it was like he was telling a joke or two to warm up the crowd for a boring speech, but now it's like he's just up there 'working' too hard....he's just setting up the joke and knocking them down, then moving on....he really should work on his delivery and just let it flow...put some energy or emotion, or something into it.
    his monotone delivery would be better suited to jay london's one-liners

Quote Originally Posted by jer2911
    one thing that i am impressed by is when john was chosen for the head-to-head....
    didn't they still think it was a two-man head-to-head? and his 2 choices to go up against were alonzo and corey, and he chose to go up against alonzo instead of corey.
    he had to know alonzo was the better comedian, but put it all on the line, anyway.
    with the twist of adding a 3rd person, he got a big break, as it turns out
    but you gotta give him props for choosing alonzo to go up against and not playing it safe with corey
    Maybe I'm reading your post wrong, but John DID choose to go up against Corey in the head-to-head, and then Alonzo was added after the others voted him in. John did not choose to go up against Alonzo.
    I don't have OCD, I have CDO. It's like OCD except that the letters are in alphabetical order like they should be!

FORT Fan
    oops, that's right.....my bad
    i'll fix post....thanks for the correction

FORT Fanatic
    I missed most of the episode, except for Alonzo and John in the head-to-head. I'm not surprised they won--has Corey ever been funny? John and Alonzo are the top two left.

Alonzo has an edge that can be really interesting that no other comic on the show has. Last night he really went for it and let that dangerous quality work for him. We got an idea of what he would be like in a non-network-TV, unfettered situation.

I love John, and he was funny, but Alonzo had the power that night.

The more I see of Gary Gulman, the more I dislike him. He's a whiny jerk, he isn't funny, and he mostly trades on his looks. Kathleen Madigan I haven't seen since the first selection episode, when her idea of being funny was to complain that the women who work at the polls are "old." Gee, sorry, honey, I guess women who aren't young should just kill themselves?

I was kind of disappointed to see the two guys that are probably going to be the final two, go head to head last night. Makes the show seem anti-climactic. Now I know that in a head to head, Alonzo will probably win.

Quote Originally Posted by Toxic
    I was kind of disappointed to see the two guys that are probably going to be the final two, go head to head last night. Makes the show seem anti-climactic. Now I know that in a head to head, Alonzo will probably win.
    Don't be so sure, Toxic! The fact is that they only were voted on by an audience of whatever number the venue could hold, whereas the final outcome will be voted on by America. The outcome could quite possibly NOT be the same if these two end up going against each other when all of America is voting!!! I, for one, know that I would vote for John - not Alonzo.
    I don't have OCD, I have CDO. It's like OCD except that the letters are in alphabetical order like they should be!

Corey's set last night was brutal. I'm surprised he even got the 7% he did.

Alonzo was excellent, but I thought John was really *on* last night, he had me rolling. I thought he would get the majority of the vote. I honestly thought John had the best sitcom idea as well. Tammy's was just OK...remember, people, the focus group haven't heard her jokes.

What's with all the hate for Gary? Hey, he's already won two head-to-heads, which no one else has done...seems like pretty strong competition to me.

(Loved the Average Joe guys coming in wearing those nasty skintight shorts - thanks for the nod to us reality TV addicts, NBC. )
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

+ Reply to Thread