07-21-2004, 03:21 PM #101
Anyone but Tammy, PLEASE!
People keep saying Gary is this year's Dat, but I really think it's going to end up being Tammy. Think about it, she uses the same dried-up material whenever she can (i.e. in the sitcom pitch -- there wasn't any need to do your opening material for the focus group) and she made it to the finals by winning immunity right when she needed to (ironically, in the same challenge that Dat won his immunity for). I don't see how anyone could vote for her in the finals though. Dat, at least, had the sympathy angle from alot of people, despite his lack of comedy. Tammy, however, has nothing. She's manipulative and she's hot-tempered. Hopefully she comes in dead last out of the final five. I can see her being mortified.
07-21-2004, 04:05 PM #102
I like Alonzo. He's cool and mature and doesn't appear to be sneaky. And... he's funny! Not sure how funny Kathleen is. She's the only one of the finalists that hasn't won a head-to-head... The kids liked her though...
07-21-2004, 04:20 PM #103
I thought the sitcom ideas were lame overall and was surprised that none of them seemed to me to come up with a great idea. I thought a couple people last season had a good idea for a sitcom but now I can't remember any of the details (of last year).
Tammy lucked out in that a couple of the guys in the focus group found her sexy. Gary was unlucky because the women in the focus group did not seem to find him attractive (I do though, lol).
I wasn't surprised that Corey lost because his routine, while funny at times, seemed too slow-paced with a bit too much dead air in between jokes. Alonzo and John really kept things moving along in their routines.
07-21-2004, 04:32 PM #104
Although I've always liked him, I found a new respect for Alonzo at the Friar's Club. is His comedy was really funny there. And although I also like Corey, I knew that he was out after his routine, before anyone else performed. You were right, Lynne. Too slow, too much dead air. And although the jokes were cute, nothing really made me laugh out loud. That's what I look for in a good comedian.
07-21-2004, 07:56 PM #105
Ok, this may sound crazy, but to me, ALONZO is this year's Dat. Dat was not genuinely funny. He was too serious and spent every moment working on his act. He was only funny on stage (until you've heard his act more than once). Alonzo has better material than Dat, but he doesn't appear to be naturally funny. He's too serious and kind of a downer when he is off-stage.
But, that's just me...
07-21-2004, 07:58 PM #106
Nerds Just Wanna Have Fun
That's where Gary takes the 'Dat' prize - he's just as mediocre as Tammy (maybe a little bit worse, as Tammy beat Todd, who's a better comic than Ant or Jay), and has 'sympathy' from the audience because of his mentor, master, and love of his life, Todd, got axed by the 'evil, ruthless' comics. Tammy, on the other hand, while she's mediocre, doesn't have the 'pity me' thing that Dat and Gary have. It also makes her a little more tolerable in my eyes, because since the audience doesn't pity her like they pity Gary, if she passes 5th place it probably will have to do with her actually being funny.
Originally Posted by btracy116
07-21-2004, 08:06 PM #107
Nerds Just Wanna Have Fun
Good point... but I think in order to be a 'Dat', you can't win a H2H(2H) because your act was strong AND 'new'. I don't remember any of Alonzo's old jokes re-used in his showdown - that definitely doesn't hold true for good ol' Dat. (I could have forgotten one, though).
Originally Posted by heidi0813
It is possible that Alonzo could be this year's Dat, but if he wins, at least he'd deserve it.
07-21-2004, 11:27 PM #108
a long-winded discussion on why gary can't be the next Dat.
Gary cannot possibly be this season's next incarnation of Dat, because that spot is already taken by the entity that is called Tammy.
Being really scientifically-minded, I've decided that this is best proved by comparing both Gary and Tammy to the traits that annoyed us most about Dat, which would be:
1. His wide variety of material, consisting of very few jokes.
2. the fact that the jokes just :deadhorse, the horse being a stereotype
3. the constant abuse of said jokes,
4. Pretty much everyone at the Fort hates the person. (If the cool people at FORT don't like ya, then you probably do suck.)
5. Cruising by on good looks.
Now, to compare Dat and Tammy:
1. variety of material: Dat had very few jokes. Tammy has about 5 jokes. (amish rollerblades, witness protection :phhht , shot a pilot, twin uncles, social security, and some one-liners)
2. stereotype jokes: Dat had jokes about the asian lady stereotype, specifically his mother. Tammy has jokes about the sicilian mob stereotype, specifically any one of her male relatives.
3. joke abuse: Dat :deadhorse his jokes into the ground, then dug them up and reused them. Tammy :deadhorse her jokes into the ground, then digs them up and reuses them.
4. lack of love on the Fort front: I've seen amatars that said "DAT SUCKS" on them. I've seen one person say a nice thing about Tammy, and it regarded "how hot she was," and, "what she might be like in bed". Not too much comedic praise right there.
5. cruising by on good looks: Some people have said that Dat sped along through the competition because he's so good looking. (I don't see it, but... okay.) Tammy actually won immunity because she's so hot. (I also don't see it, considering that I'm female and there's plenty of Gary and John to distract me.)
Is it just me, or does Tammy start looking like Dat in heels and a wig after reading that?
Now Gary (<==don't be shocked if I'm a bit biased)
1. variety of material: Dat had very few jokes. Gary has a lot of jokes, and is usually seen on the show working on new ones.
2. stereotype jokes: Dat had jokes about the asian lady stereotype, specifically his mother. Gary used what I like to call the "tall milkman lovechild" stereotype (rolls off the tongue, no?).
3. joke abuse: Dat :deadhorse his jokes into the ground, then dug them up and reused them. Gary hasn't repeated any of his jokes on the show besides the "tall milkman lovechild" joke twice.
4. lack of love on the Fort front: I've seen amatars that said "DAT SUCKS" on them. The Gary love-front is pretty solid on the female end, and with guys it's a mixed bag, but overall a bit positive. People would probably like him more if they weren't sad about the loss of Jay London, though.
5. cruising by on good looks: Some people have said that Dat sped along through the competition because he's so good looking. (I don't see it, but... okay.) Yeah, Gary is definitely guilty as charged on this one. He's GORGEOUS. *sigh*
Now that you've read this, aren't you convinced that it's not Gary?! goodness!
07-22-2004, 02:38 AM #109
Did these comics not watch last season? Why are they surprised about them coming back? I wasn't- and why didn't they have a sitcom idea ready since that was also a challenge last year? You would think they might have prepared more, it's a bit disappointing. I just hope they show us the percentages of each comic that wants to come back- if Ant is not dead last, I will be very very surprised.
07-22-2004, 09:13 AM #110
I thought the same thing. Hard to believe they did not all watch it, it is the main focus of their lives.
Originally Posted by zapata
SEO by vBSEO 3.6.0 ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.