+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Jay London v.s. Gary Gulman

FORT Newbie

Jay London v.s. Gary Gulman

The other night Gary Gulman beat Jay London in a head to head. Who do you think really won that head to head?

BAD KITTY!!!!!!

From the edited version they showed us, Gary won. Jay just stood there most of the time and asked if anyone was out there, promising to leave soon. My 2cents.
    "Quotes on the internet may not be accurate." - Abraham Lincoln

I really don't like Jay's one liners and I was surprised by Gary's good jokes, so I felt the right person won.

Ultimate American Idol RubenIZMyne's Avatar
    Gary won that head-to-head hands down. Jay just stood there with his awful one-liner routine praying for a laugh. Sweet guy, but he's just not funny, IMHO.

FORT Fogey
    Quote Originally Posted by RubenIZMyne
    Gary won that head-to-head hands down. Jay just stood there with his awful one-liner routine praying for a laugh. Sweet guy, but he's just not funny, IMHO.
    I agree completely. Jay came off as creepy. Gary actually made me laugh, which is hard when I'm sitting at my computer, not really paying that much attention. Gary won.

Quote Originally Posted by ChicagoViewer
    I agree completely. Jay came off as creepy. Gary actually made me laugh, which is hard when I'm sitting at my computer, not really paying that much attention. Gary won.
    I thought Gary was on fire and gave his best performance yet and the audience was clearly laughing with him. I think Jay is a really good person and not totally unfunny, but I felt the audience had that uncomfortable kind of embarrassed laugh going on.....IMO!!!
    In the 60's, people took acid to make the world weird.
    Now the world is weird and people take Prozac to make it normal.

Gary won, and deserved to win, but IMO, Jay was the victim of the female alliance. He exited with class, which is the important thing.
    "The difference between reality and fiction? Fiction has to make sense."
    Good luck to the Good Guys on the Inferno!

Nerds Just Wanna Have Fun Boredom's Avatar
    I thought Jay won. I don't really enjoy Gary last night, and the jokes seemed a little bit old, stale even. I thought Jay was a little bit more hit-or-miss, but when he hit, it was awesome. Gary was just kind of 'bleh' all the way through.

Overall, it was like Todd/Tammy, only a lot worse - had Jay put his best in the right places, he would have won, but his joke-timing was way off. Gary, on the other hand, wasn't as funny, but as a package it was pretty good.

I thought it was pretty even and was surprised that the margin
    was so large between the two.

It's tough for Jay London to win a head to head challenge because his style depends on him playing off his jokes not working... He elicits groans and then apologizes in a self-deprecating way for the groans he's elicited. It's a difficult style to win contests with.

Gary is perfectly suited for this competition...women find him attractive, the camera seems to like him...and his style of comedy is easily accepted by the audiences that NBC is trying to attract. I can't say that he's terribly clever or that he's anything original...but his likeability factor is high and that's been proven in two straight head-to-head showdowns.

I think Gary seemed more confident in this showdown set, from what we were allowed to see about it...and that confidence is a strong weapon against a comic whose style is so self-diminishing like Jay London's is...

pg--seattle

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast