+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: The next season of LCS (debuting 8/31) will be....

Someone is pointing out how bad it would be.

You wanted it...

Quote Originally Posted by jer2911
    i don't think anyone agrees with me, but i'm gonna say it again, (until someone points out how bad it would be to break an unwritten rule) i would love next season for the first round of head-to-head, when the alliance gangs up on the crappiest comedian, the crappy comedian challenges the best comedian in the alliance, then goes first at the head-to-head and uses all of the other comedian's best material....the other comedians would be so shocked when the crappy guy comes back to the house they would be too intimidated to challenge them...free ride to the final 5 without using any new material, saving it all for the home audience
    BAD BAD BAD BAD BAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAD idea.

Rule number one in comedy--don't steal.
    Rule number two in comedy--seriously, don't steal.

Beyond that...say you're Carrot Top and you're going up against George Carlin. Are you saying that if you do George Carlin's best jokes you'll automatically win? Dude! You're CARROT TOP! And if you were George Carlin, you couldn't do Carrot Top's jokes. Jerry Seinfeld couldn't do Dave Chappelle's act and vice versa.

The hardest thing for a comic to do is to find his/her voice...how to project a persona that encompasses his/her personal comedic style...so that everything that comic says comes from a unique perspective, delivered in a personal way... Anyone doing Richard Pryor's act is merely doing an impression of Richard--but Richard doing that act is art.

Material is only one component--there's stage presence, delivery, timing, crowd interaction, act out ability, relating to the audience, making the universal personal and the personal universal...

It's not simply a matter of someone having the best "jokes" and whoever says them first wins. It's about reading the crowd, reacting to the room, being "in the moment" and riding the vibe. It's about the ability to push jokes further based on the crowd reaction or to rearrange in your head what you'd planned on doing...it's about being able to seize on an instant and galvanizing the crowd. It's about walking with your audience so they see the world, for those few minutes, through your eyes...and through your sensibilities.

And, after all that...these people want to have careers after this show is over. This show doesn't make anyone a star...this show opens certain doors and exposes some previously underexposed potential... What these performers do with this opportunity (such as it is) is what makes a star.

that sounds interesting, but the season one peeps wouldn't fare well, IMO
    I'm curious as to why you say that... My first response (since tempered) was that the first season performers seemed stronger... I can now see the various strengths and weaknesses of all of them and I'm not sure it would be terribly interesting television, but it would be an interesting night of comedy.

and that doesn't resolve nbc's screwups in not putting through people this season that are funnier than the people who made it.....i'm guessing there could be an arguement made that as many as 3 people who didn't make it would be in the top 5 if they had made it to the house this season (dan naturman, louis raimey, pablo francisco, etc)
    I agree with this, especially about Naturman & Francisco...and I'd have loved to have seen more of Will Durst or Tom Cotter... However, it's very clear that NBC doesn't really want to run a comedy talent contest--as much as they want interesting television and possible future sitcom performers...

As long as 8 million Americans watch each week, I doubt they'll ever think they've screwed anything up.

pg--seattle

PS--Seriously...bad idea. To quote Heffron/Madigan/etc. "Nothing personal...but..."

FORT Fan
    yeah,
    i know it's about the worst thing you can do, especially stealing some guy's material that is going on stage right after you, but if it was the right circumstances, it would be hilarious as far as reality tv goes....
    i could easily see someone with the 'puck' from real world mentality doing it just to get back at them and teach the alliance a lesson....people like him and omarosa still have crackpot fans no matter what they do

FORT Newbie

Kudos to PG13

PG13....the last post was well put....like from someone in the trenches...that summed up the show perfectly!!!

I have noticed that people in general have now real concept of stand-up and hard it truely is! BUT then again I really don't understand what good reality tv is..

I just know what funny is...well...somtimes..the crowd and I last nite seemed to have differing views on what funny is...jerks..oh well live and learn!

FORT Regular
    "It would be nice to watch Dat lose though."

I second that.

Tess, Cory, Vos, Ralphie, and Dat

Out of those the only ones I would want to see would be Cory and maybe Vos. I can't stand Ralphie May. To me he is like fingernails on a chalkboard.
    He who laughs last thinks slowest

#oldmanbeatdown - Donny BB16

Quote Originally Posted by pg13

I agree with this, especially about Naturman & Francisco...and I'd have loved to have seen more of Will Durst or Tom Cotter... However, it's very clear that NBC doesn't really want to run a comedy talent contest--as much as they want interesting television and possible future sitcom performers...

As long as 8 million Americans watch each week, I doubt they'll ever think they've screwed anything up.

.."
    Durst never had a shot. Not that he isn't funnier than most (if not all) the contestants but he's way too lefty political. The Powers That Be don't want that in an election year. Its one thing for Leno to do it, because he'll have the First Lady on as a guest the next night...And Heaven forfend that the GOP says they have to have equal time because of Durst on LCS...

I think they want future sitcom stars. If they were interested in interesting TV....well, they've failed. And Arrested Development would be on NBC.

Quote Originally Posted by dfleming2
    jer2911, I don't think it would be in the comedian's best interest to steal someone's act on national television... it doesn't bode well for their future career...
    Tell that to Uncle Miltie.
    Okay, kids! Who wants Navy Cake?

... it's very clear that NBC doesn't really want to run a comedy talent contest--as much as they want interesting television and possible future sitcom performers...
    Interesting television? Possible sitcom performers?

From what I see in that house, there's not much evidence to back up that theory either.

You want drama in the house? Watch NEXT ACTION STAR. Actors have WAY bigger egos than comics, and get into a lot more personality clashes.

NBC's reality shows are all starting to share the same stink. :phhht

Quote Originally Posted by dagwood
    I can't stand Ralphie May. To me he is like fingernails on a chalkboard.

Ralphie May... the first comic in history with the ability to bend light.

FORT Regular
    That's a seriously interesting rumor. The problem is, you now have a house with serious talent, vs the house last year that had only a few heavyweights. When it comes to pure comedy, Ralphie is the one to beat. In a head to head, he could have beaten Dat or Gary or anybody. It was likability that gave him second place last year. Only Alonzo, this year, is close and even he's not as good as Ralphie, nor as likable as Ralphie, close but no cigar.

Even having said that, Dat could still win it all. Gary would defenitly be his main competition, but in a head to head, I think he could beat Gary also. That's assuming the audience has never seen his set. Odds are Dat will still be using all the same material, but even then if only a small majority of the audience hasn't seen his stuff he could still win just with his energy and likabilty.

What they aught to do is bring the final five, EXCEPT the winners. Then they could just add one runner up from each season, say Mordal and Glass, or London, and you're all set.
    And what would that sound like DAG?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast