+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: 7/13 Show Discussion **Spoilers**

John's little one-liners around the house just make the show more enjoyable. The others don't seem to be having that much fun. They are too serious..well mostly Tammy and Alonzo. Geeze...crack a smile or something once in a while.

I thought it was ingenious of John to have the kids chant "skunk" in order for his name to sink in with them. He was so close to winning, but Kathleen edged him out.

I'm not really a fan of Gary but he was funnier than Jay. Jay had his funny moments, but his one-liners are all over the place, and they don't flow smoothly. Some of his one-liners that I liked: "you'll never see me again" , "it's almost over, ma'am", "please like me" were all pretty funny, but when he uses them over and over again, they start losing their freshness. Reminds me of David Letterman who repeats the same one-liners just to get a cheap laugh.

Still I liked Jay, and was sad to see him go. He was the nicest guy in the house, but then again this competition isn't about who is the nicest.

Quote Originally Posted by SunSawed
    You guys notice John and Corey have a weird alliance where they always vote for each other?

John voted for Bonnie the first week, Alonzo the second week and Ant last week.

Corey voted for Ant the first week, Tammy the second week and Ant last week.

This was the first time they voted for each other.
    "Alcohol: the cause of and solution to all of life's problem's"

Quote Originally Posted by aceiling
    I think it's more about being able to improvise and think on your feet. But, I agree that it really doesn't translate into a regular comedy performance or a sitcom for that matter.
    Good point. I think I would have liked to see them entertain a younger audience, maybe 12 years old, and try to adapt jokes for that audience, but not any younger than 12. This was too much like watching a bad episode of Barney & Friends

I didn't want to see either of them go. And yah I liked Gary's routine better. I also thought Jay Mohr was better this week than usual.
    "Just kiss my toes and I'll be happy." - Dex

FORT Newbie

Wrong about the new material

Quote Originally Posted by AIer_admirer
    That's perfectly fine. I always say that. Can't break the monotony.

I think you're right about the audience being composed of mainly females and young guys. Some of those guys looked like just got outta high school, so those gym jokes most likely appealed to them. You can tell Gary's been writing new stuff. He had to feel threatened to write new material, but hey, he's writing.

I love John and Corey's little "rivalry." Odd little bond there.

Silly comics. Lame comedy's for kids. Kathleen's and John's liners were so funny. Finally, Kat has an on night offstage. Winner for best costume: Jay London.

Jay London, you are a gentleman, and I wish you the best of luck.
    I have seen Gary perform for years and I am not saying this in a bad way against him but just to let you know, those aren't new jokes. He has had the gym stuff for years. He's a great writer and has hours and hours of solid material. He writes new stuff all the time and knows what is going to appeal to what audience so he pulls out what works when he needs to. Everyone is talking about this person can't write and this one has no material. They only show us 2 mins. of these people every week. These are people that headline comedy clubs where they do 45-60 minute sets. They all have the material. The producers just editit a certain way.

I so don't think that Gary is funny. Hot yes but not funny. Jay is all over the place but I think it's cause he was trying to get a feel for what was funny to the audience.

I do hate when they use the same material.

The thing about them using the same material is that they are trying to win the head-to-head, and if they feel they have certain material that goes over really well with audiences, they're going to want to use it because, at least until the last episode (I think), it's the studio audience that votes, not America, so as long as it's fresh to the audience, that is all that matters.

Having said that - assuming the last episode is live, and the audience is watchng the show (I seem to remember everyone was "famous" by the last episode last year by the finale because the audience had been watching the show), to the extent the head-to-head audiences watch the show, they will have to keep using new material.

I just think it must be hard because in their regular lives as comics. for the most part they reuse material all the time and that poses no problems.

Also - for all those who compare Gary to Dat Phan, I think that off base. First of all, I think Gary is funny - I laugh out loud at his material and think it's clever (I like the "pill" bit, irrespective of whether he used it before). Gary also does material on different topics. Dat Phan seemed to exclusively mock his mother's accent. Gary also seems like a normal guy who is in this because he likes being a comic. Dat Phan just wanted to be famous and saw comedy as a vehicle and then treated it like some bizarro science project. I think Gary is much better than Dat. And he won two weeks in a row with pretty large margins.

FORT Newbie
    London's Bridge Has Fallen Down
    Jay London: love him or hate him. I love me some Jay London. He's the prime example of sticking to YOUR perspective regarless of the HATERS (even when he's bombing for 15-20 minutes which i saw happen in a club). Met him twice and he's nice off stage too. He's one of the good ones like his idol Jackie Vernon and an encouragement to a fan and non-smiling, offbeat comic like myself.
    Jammer Bicks

The reason I believe that Gary's pill joke works so well, is that the guy is totally sexy . Even though I am a total John Heffron lover , I know a good looking man when I see one and he definately is one. When he talks about the pill he was talking about having sex. Now there looked like there were plenty of young women in the audience and what single woman wouldn't liked to think about having sex with the guy. I know I was thinking about it and I had seen the joke before .

This termite-free episode of LCS was much improved from the past 3 weeks. Finally, the in-house interaction didnít feel like I was watching the outtakes of a Days Of Our Lives dress rehearsal. All that BS about alliances, puppet masters was just smoke and mirrors. The only real alliance was Kathleen and Tammy. Notice how no one even mentioned the word alliance in this episode. Favorite part of this episode: Tammy doing curls as the camera pans out and reveals sheís lifting a plastic prop

Jay London, you will be missed. What a decent guy, he even made grilled cheese for scheming, balloon-headed Tammy. IMO Jay, Todd, Gary, John, and even to some degree, Dan Naturman, have been the breakout stars of this show. Love them or hate them, theyíve made themselves memorable (in a non-look-at-me-Iím-a-gay-drama-queen-who-likes-to-start-sh*t-kinda-way). When will these comics realize, the purpose of appearing on this show is to make a name for themselves, not to chase after a meaningless talent contract. Sure, Corey, Kathleen, and Alonzo (who actually has decent material) may fly under the radar un-challenged to the final 5, but their lack of presence on the show isnít likely to inspire the support of many voters.

On the Jay vs Gary battle, Iím surprised to see so many people who felt so strongly one way or the other. I enjoyed both their sets, and expected the vote to be split fairly evenly. Gary comes off very likeable with his take on ďI was thereĒ jokes, but I would give the edge to Jay. I find Jayís style so fresh and unique even after seeing him a few times now. And I normally canít stand puns- I find 99% of them downright lame. But Jay is so fresh that I donít mind that his act is all puns- itís like kama sutra with semantics. Favorite joke of the night: ďI named my private part pride. Itís not much, but at least I still have my pride.Ē

Any guesses on why theyíre bringing the booted contestants back? My gut says the cast-offs have a say in who wins immunity. I just hope Ant doesn't stick around long enough to spread his alliance germs again.

Quote Originally Posted by Daximus
    The thing about them using the same material is that they are trying to win the head-to-head, and if they feel they have certain material that goes over really well with audiences, they're going to want to use it because, at least until the last episode (I think), it's the studio audience that votes, not America, so as long as it's fresh to the audience, that is all that matters.

Having said that - assuming the last episode is live, and the audience is watchng the show (I seem to remember everyone was "famous" by the last episode last year by the finale because the audience had been watching the show), to the extent the head-to-head audiences watch the show, they will have to keep using new material.

I just think it must be hard because in their regular lives as comics. for the most part they reuse material all the time and that poses no problems.

Also - for all those who compare Gary to Dat Phan, I think that off base. First of all, I think Gary is funny - I laugh out loud at his material and think it's clever (I like the "pill" bit, irrespective of whether he used it before). Gary also does material on different topics. Dat Phan seemed to exclusively mock his mother's accent. Gary also seems like a normal guy who is in this because he likes being a comic. Dat Phan just wanted to be famous and saw comedy as a vehicle and then treated it like some bizarro science project. I think Gary is much better than Dat. And he won two weeks in a row with pretty large margins.
    I think we were referencing how Dat took out Dave Mordal, the more experienced comic, just as Gary took out Jay, and also how Gary seems to be perceived as the weak, just as Dat was. Their material and personalities are quite a different matter.

Anyone think Tammy feared Jay London was too endearing to make it to the audience vote? Or did she honestly think Jay was the easiest to crush on the path to the finals?
    Last edited by AIer_admirer; 07-14-2004 at 07:53 AM.
    "The difference between reality and fiction? Fiction has to make sense."
    Good luck to the Good Guys on the Inferno!

+ Reply to Thread