+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Star players in the house....

colby, you're not the only one who has no recollection of Steve Wright. Guess I'm showing my age. Anyone care to share their comedic knowledge?

London reminds me of a poor man's Rodney Dangerfield, which is saying a lot cause Rodney is an icon. I'd put him in the same league as Heffron. Alonzo and Kathleen are both good writers, but I'm off and on. Sometimes I like the jokes, other times I like the personality, which is more Heffron and London's deal.
    "The difference between reality and fiction? Fiction has to make sense."
    Good luck to the Good Guys on the Inferno!

i can't recall much of steven wright's material but he has a very distinctive voice. if you have seen "resevoir dogs" he is the voice of the radio dj that plays all the cool 70s music during the film. maybe that will help. very deadpan delivery...slow and deliberate. jay london seems like a copy cat of SW to me, just my opinion. he is different from the other comedians in the house so it adds a little welcome variety to the show.

Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by RobC4Me
    i can't recall much of steven wright's material but he has a very distinctive voice. if you have seen "resevoir dogs" he is the voice of the radio dj that plays all the cool 70s music during the film. maybe that will help. very deadpan delivery...slow and deliberate. jay london seems like a copy cat of SW to me, just my opinion. he is different from the other comedians in the house so it adds a little welcome variety to the show.

Thank you!
    Thank you, RobC4Me! Everyone always recommends "Resevoir Dogs" to me. This'll just be another reason to rent the movie already!
    Forgive me. I grew up in the age of In Living Color (Jim Carrey and the Wayans brothers), Adam Sandler, and Mike Myers (post-SNL). I'm just finding out about the older comics after renewed interest. One good thing about watching LCS!!

Nerds Just Wanna Have Fun Boredom's Avatar
    I think the star players are Kathleen and Alonzo, with Jay, Corey, and John a little behind them, Tammy a little behind them, and then Gary behind her. The main reason that Gary is behind Tammy is that Tammy actually beat a good comic (Todd). Ant was ok, but he was definitely nothing to write home about. Plus, Tammy's jokes are better than Gary's, and delivery isn't everything with Tammy (unlike Gary). Alonzo's been on fire so far, and Kathleen has quite possibly the best joke delivery in the house (with the exception of Jay, but he's in his own league). John, Jay, and Corey are all talented, but John and Corey aren't quite as good as Kathleen and Alonzo, and Jay is percieved as a 'weak' person by some of the people in the house (mainly Ant), so I don't think they would have any problems challenging him.

Quote Originally Posted by RobC4Me

Thank you!
    You are selling Steven Wright WAAY short by comparing him to Jay London. Jay London has more in common with Bob Hope, Pat Cooper, Milton Berle, etc. Comics of THAT era. (take my wife .. please)

Steven Wright (here is some of his material ) was an A-list comedian in the 80's and early 90's. Dozens of Tonight Show appearances (back when that actually meant something). He was a complete original and I doubt anyone could ever match him. He would come on TV and blow your mind ... never had to curse, either. Which was a rarity among comics during this time.

I'm not ready to jump on the Alonzo bandwagon yet. He has done well at challenges, we will see how he performs when the pressure is on.

I'm on board with John .. he pretty much has it all going for him.

FORT Fan
    stephen wright....from the 80's....slow, droning voice like he's about to fall asleep....similar one-liners to jay london, without all the "take my wife please" feel to it.
    examples:
    I'd kill for a nobel peace prize
    One Christmas, my grandfather gave me a box of broken glass. he gave my brother a box of bandaids. then he said to us, 'now, you two share'

if barbie is so popular, why do we have to buy her friends?
    Ever notice how irons have a setting for PERMANENT press? I don't get it...
    I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it.
    I can't wait to be arrested and go all the way to the witness stand. "Do you swear to tell the whole truth and nothing but the truth so help you, God?" "Yes, you're ugly. See that women in the jury? I'd really like to sleep with her. Should I keep going or are you going to ask me questions?"

The other day somebody stole everything in my apartment and replaced it with an exact replica... When my roommate came home I said, "Roommate, someone stole everything in our apartment and replaced it with an exact replica." He looked at me and said, "Do I know you?"
    I bought a self-learning record to learn Spanish. I turned it on and went to sleep; the record got stuck. The next day I could only stutter in Spanish.
    i like to set small goals that might lead into larger ones, like making toast; this might lead into making a sandwhich and possibly my own space program
    a cop stopped me for speeding. he said, 'why were you going so fast?' i said, 'see this thing my foot is on? it's called an accelerator. when you push down on it, it sends more gas to the engine. the whole car just takes right off. and see this thing? this steers it.
    ok, so what's the speed of dark?
    Right now I'm having amnesia and deja vu at the same time. I think I've forgotten this before.
    He asked me if I knew what time it was. I said, "Yes, but not right now."
    Four years ago... No, it was yesterday.
    Is it weird in here, or is it just me?
    My theory of evolution is that Darwin was adopted.
    I wrote a song, but I can't read music so I don't know what it is. Every once in a while I'll be listening to the radio and I say, "I think I might have written that."
    I got up one morning and couldn't find my socks, so I called Information. She said, "Hello, Information." I said, "I can't find my socks." She said, "They're behind the couch." And they were!
    I was in a job interview and I opened a book and started reading. Then I said to the guy, "Let me ask you a question. Suppose you are in a space bus traveling at the speed of light, and you turn on the headlights--what happens?" He said, "How should I know?!" I said, "Forget it, I don't want to work for you."
    I have a decaffeinated coffee table. You'd never know it to look at it.
    I bought some powdered water, but I don't know what to add to it.
    If toast always lands butter-side down, and cats always land on their feet, what happen if you strap toast on the back of a cat and drop it?
    Everywhere is walking distance if you have the time.
    Do you think that when they asked George Washington for ID that he just whipped out a quarter?
    If you were going to shoot a mime, would you use a silencer?
    After they make styrofoam, what do they ship it in?
    It doesn't matter what temperature the room is, it's always room temperature.
    more at
    http://www.wam.umd.edu/~stwright/rig...venWright.html

Those are great! So many great ones on the website as well. Thanks, jer! I'd like to borrow a few of those while speechmaking. I'd credit Steven Wright of course.

FORT Fan
    Only 6 people are left.
    Kathy, she has yet to receive a vote.......5 STAR
    Alonzo, he actually got a vote, pretty big shock, but obviously no one has the got to challenge him yet.........4.5 STAR
    John, the one who beats his challenger with the greatest margin so far, maybe, just maybe, he IS funnier than Alonzo, try out for Appollo next time........4 STAR.
    Corey, no one dares challenging him despite his in-your-face attitude. Funny, but true at the same time. Not easy to beat............4 STAR
    -------------------------------------------------------------
    these star players are pretty safe and sound.

Gary, 2 wins in a row, a great win over the famed Jay London, I guess that does deserve some recognitions.........3.5 STAR

Tammy, won her match against another well known comedian, close but still an adequate win. Too bad though, had she played last year, she would be the funniest girl in the house hands down, good luck........3 STAR.

Ultra Concealed Lurker Invisigoth's Avatar
    Just my thoughts.

Cory - The heavyweight. They guy is just that good.

Alonzo - I pitty the fool that goes against him.

Tammy - I hate the bitch, but she has a good 5 minute act and draws a lot of laughs. How Oh How could she beat Todd.

Gary - I thought he was weak, but he is 2-0.

Kathleen - I don't think she is all that funny.

John - He is not the funniest, but he has a good 5 minute act.
    There are 10 kinds of people in the world. Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast