+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Star players in the house....

FORT Regular
    I didn't say Rickman is hideous. I'm saying "general audiences" probably wouldn't say he's gorgeous. Rickman is a great talent and defenitley apeals to the palete's of more refined tastes. The fact that you didn't take that as a compliment says something about you. Hmmmm.
    And what would that sound like DAG?

Quote Originally Posted by dosqueen

Steven Wright over Jay London? I second that!
    Alas, Mr. Wright appears to have failed to audition for LCS

Quote Originally Posted by duplessis3
    Alas, Mr. Wright appears to have failed to audition for LCS
    And all the more the pity...

Quote Originally Posted by touque
    I respectfully disagree. I don't consider myself to be general audience... two of my favourite comics are Mitch Hedburg and Stephen Wright, and yet, I don't like Jay London. I "get" his jokes... I just don't find him to be that funny because I find him to be more sight gag than substance. Grow some poofy hair, wear some old clothes and make jokes about being a neandrathal and working in the Beyond department. woo.
    I find Hedburg's and Wright's jokes to be a little more thought out and clever. JMO.
    Then again, Mr. Touque is just telling me that I missed a really good set of London's, so ...
    Well, I like his "Elevator" song idea, and I like his more subtle jokes that it takes me a second (or a poke in the side) to get. He comes across as a very sweet, gentle (yet NOT effeminate) guy. He looks more "messy" to me than "dirty." Even his blue material (at least the rare glimpse we've had of it) is only pale blue--it has a certain innocence about it that makes it even funnier.

("Mr. Touque"--I LOVE IT!! )
    My opinions may have changed, but not the fact that I am right.
    -- Ashleigh Brilliant

FORT Fogey
    Quote Originally Posted by AE86
    I didn't say Rickman is hideous. I'm saying "general audiences" probably wouldn't say he's gorgeous. Rickman is a great talent and defenitley apeals to the palete's of more refined tastes. The fact that you didn't take that as a compliment says something about you. Hmmmm.
    I know I took at as a compliment. Thanks.

I think Kathleen's more witty than funny, and certain comics praise wit more than laugh-out-loud funny. Half of the jokes on Letterman/Leno/SNL have their foundation in wit rather than hilarity. Because of this, I think Kathleen has a fair shot at the top 5, especially if Tammy is eliminated.

Jay London is a likeable, refined comic that could possibly make the top 5. Some comics rely on their energy (John), their confidence (Alonzo), their likeability (Corey), or their looks (Gary). London relies on his persona, which isn't bad, especially when considering the career of Rodney Dangerfield. NOTE: I'm not saying Jay is another Rodney, but I think their love of one-liners and self-deprecation is evident enough for comparison.]

My picks for top 5: Kathleen, Heffron, Alonzo, Jay, Gary
    "The difference between reality and fiction? Fiction has to make sense."
    Good luck to the Good Guys on the Inferno!

thinks he's so smart MyNameIsKenny's Avatar
    Bah. The top two, at least for right now, are without a doubt John and Alonzo:

John, because he's cute, he's lovable, he's got the sympathy of the fans, and he's got very good material (see: his utter crushing of Bonnie).

Alonzo, because he's got better material. The man kills.

Kathleen seems to have the respect of the other contestants, and that doesn't come lightly, but if she doesn't do something funny quickly, she will NOT win this competition. Also, I haven't laughed at her once.
    Hot news just in -- Michael Jackson has a new album coming out. That's right, folks, it's called [pedophilia joke].

I think you are right about Kathleen- her act is probably really good and that's what they've seen- she isn't funny in the house and the challenges- but that girl last year- the redhead white girl- I'm already forgotten her name, she was not funny in the house, was she Corey?- she wasn't funny during the series, but when we saw her act in the Vegas show, her act was actually really funny- I laughed and thought she was one of the best of the night- Kathleen might be like that.

My take:

Tier One: Alonzo and Kathleen. We haven't seen much of Kathleen because:
    1. She's not rude and obnoxious in the house
    2. She seems to be ill at ease outside a strict stand-up setting, and unlike Alonzo she can't seem to abide insulting people, so she's no good at a roast.
    However, the one or two sets of hers that I saw impressed me greatly. I do not think she will get challenged. I think they are scared to death of her. And it's extremely evident that Alonzo rocks the house, so they are the ones to beat.

Tier Two: John Heffron. By himself. Not quite as polished or as confident as Alonzo and Kathleen, he is, however, very clever and inventive and he has a huge amount of very good material.

Tier Three: Gary and Tammy. Both, I think, have a reasonable amount of acceptable material that they deliver very well. I do think Gary seems to have more material than Tammy does, and he trades less on stereotypes, so I give him the edge there.

Tier Four: Jay London is a poor man's Steve Wright. His jokes are pretty hit and miss. Sometimes he lands a real winner, but sometimes he sinks like a stone. I thought Bonnie and Todd were on par with him.

Teir Five: I find Ant self-important and tedious and Corey extremely offensive. If forced to watch a full set of one live, I'd probably go with Ant because I find homosexual sterotypes and full-on flaming marginally less annoying than aggressive sexism and misongyny - and I have actually been known to laugh at Ant's jokes - but as far as I'm concerned the producers can stick them in a cell together and let them kill each other.

I'm fully with you on Tiers 1-3. I'll admit that I can't recall who Steve Wright is. The name sounds familar, but I'm not coming up with anything. However, I think Jay London is very good at what he does. I think he has his own crowd of people and he'll kill with a certain audience and bomb with another. I don't know where I'd put him, because I see him in a very wierd class of his own, but I think that he's good, nonetheless.

I liked Corey for a while, but it seems like he does have limited material and can be offensive at times. I'm no longer a fan, but I do think he's somewhere in between tiers 2 and 3. Ant, I really like, but I'll agree he's not so great at writing new material. He's great for talk shows and other "conversation-based" programs but he's not one of the best on the show. I do, however keep him on the same tier as Corey, making my line-up more like this:

1. Kathleen and Alonzo
    2. John Heffron
    3. Ant and Corey
    (4. Todd and Bonnie)
    5. Tammy and Gary
    Jay London fits somewhere in the middle.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast