+ Reply to Thread
Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 456789101112131415 LastLast

Thread: 7/6 Show Discussion **Spoilers**

Quote Originally Posted by getreal
    I was actually surprised that the Friar's Club gave him (Alonzo) the win, just because of the stereotype (in my mind) that a bunch of elderly white comics might not be welcoming of a new black comic into their midst...
    The only reason they're mostly white is because comics of color had fewer opportunities in their heyday. And that was the fault of the studio system and the old power structure of Hollywood, not the artists.

The Friars Club members are comedians, one and all, and the only thing one must do to gain their respect is BE FUNNY. And achieving that without "going blue" gets even more respect since that's how they all had to work. They didn't have the freedom to use profanity the way today's comics do, so they tend to get offended by it and consider it a cheap laugh.
    Okay, kids! Who wants Navy Cake?

Quote Originally Posted by jer2911
    first - what's the deal with the 'Katz' references??
    Barry Katz is one of the show's producers. He also happens to be a big-time Hollywood talent manager, and two of his clients -- Ant and Gary Gulman -- somehow beat out all the competition to make it into the final ten on their own merits. (wink-wink, nudge-nudge). And if that's not enough ComedyGate for you, the show's host, Jay Mohr, is also managed by Katz. I wouldn't be surprised to find out that the major sponsors of this show are subsidiaries of Halliburton.

alonzo did the best job roasting jay, but gary got shafted.....if you have seen an actual roast on comedy central, they have to bleep out an awful lot of stuff....and 'blue'??? the majority of the jokes are put-downs at a roast....
    There's a MAJOR difference between the modern roasts shown on Comedy Central, and the classic Friar's Club roasts from yesteryear. If you've ever seen the infomercial for tapes of the old Dean Martin roasts, that is the standard the Friar's will judge by. Unfortunately for Gulman and a few others, they've probably never seen the classic roasts, and think it's some sort of new phenomenon. They broke one of the cardinal rules of stand-up: KNOW THY AUDIENCE.

I once did a gig for an elderly crowd at the Variety Club in Hollywood. Halfway through my set, four old ladies threatened the emcee to cut my act short or they'd walk onstage themselves and shoo me off. So I cut it short and left. I thought perhaps my bits making fun of religion offended them. Nope. Turns out they got all bent out of shape over a couple of FART jokes. No kidding.

The moral: Elderly audience? Work extra clean.
    Teen males: Sex and potty humor.
    Single adult women: Relationship humor and put-downs of men.

Regarding the results:

I gave Gulman's set a solid B; Ant's a C-minus.

Ant's flight attendant bit was overly long and amateurishly written. Physical comedy is more than bugging out one's eyes and gay hand gestures. First he went through this long, tedious explanation of his "duties" during a crash -- most of it barely eliciting a mild chuckle; then he actually repeated the entire rant, only at a slightly faster pace with somewhat increased energy. But nothing was THAT DIFFERENT from his setup. He simply does not understand joke structure.

And although I felt Gulman's set was superior, I am not fooled by the producers' attempts to put him and Ant on opposite sides. Funny or not funny, they are in that house due to their manager being the producer, and the sooner both get eliminated, the better chance this show has to redeem its integrity... if that's even possible at this point.
    Okay, kids! Who wants Navy Cake?

John Stamos For President Bob_Saget_Fan's Avatar
    These comedians are good but none of them could compete with the great Kevin Nealon of Saturday Night Live.

Vertically Challenged LiLSprout's Avatar

Cave-Man Fettish?

Quote Originally Posted by PIKATSSO
    Can't help it...I think JayLo is precious. His appearance is definitely unkempt...but I don't think he is unclean. His hair doesn't look greasy or unwashed...just uncombed. I just like him more and more, although I don't think he has a chance at winning the whole deal--he is just too unconventional and "out there." My favorite joke on the show was his remark to Rich Little--"I went out with a promiscuous female impressionist...she does everyone." I just genuinely like this guy...his humor and his personality. I think he's sexy in a nice cave-man kinda way!
    I thought I was the only one starting to think this way and I was seriously begining to think there is something wrong with me. Is there a cave-man fettish? I'm not sure that I want him to drag me off by my hair or anything....... I should stop now forget I said anything
    LiL'Sprout
    Stalker for Hire!
    If you hear a noise outside your window..... don't worry....... it's just me.... could you put a step out there for me?

Quote Originally Posted by Bob_Saget_Fan
    These comedians are good but none of them could compete with the great Kevin Nealon of Saturday Night Live.
    Well turn to CNBC at 9:00 EST. Kevin Nealon is on Dennis Miller tonight.
    "I'm telling you - it's a madhouse out there. I feel like Charlton Heston waking up in the field and seeing the chimp on top of the pony." ~ Dennis Miller

Caged Mah Jongg Solitaire Champion Maveno's Avatar
    Qboots..you always seem to come up with these lil facts, ya never cease to amaze me.
    All things beautiful do not have to be full of color to be noticed; in
    life that which is unnoticed has the most power.

We should keep in mind that both comics in the challenge do more than we see- they only take a small bit of it, so it's hard to say who won or who should have won by that- most comics will keep doing the same five minutes, so whoever stays, the producers know they will have to show some of their set again so might save the better bits for later- I think Dave Mordal said last year he was the only one who did a different set the second time he was up- we heard Dat Phan repeat some of the stuff we had already seen.

So it's hard to say, "Oh, Todd Glass was funnier than Tammy, he should have won' or "Ant was funnier than Gary, he should have won'- we really don't get to see the act. Ant said tonight he was trying to say Osama Bin Laden instead of Bush on his airline joke, which i thought would have been even less funny and predictable, but Gary probably gave the better set overall.

Quote Originally Posted by LiLSprout
    I thought I was the only one starting to think this way and I was seriously begining to think there is something wrong with me. Is there a cave-man fettish? I'm not sure that I want him to drag me off by my hair or anything....... I should stop now forget I said anything
    My opinions may have changed, but not the fact that I am right.
    -- Ashleigh Brilliant

Quote Originally Posted by navycake
    They broke one of the cardinal rules of stand-up: KNOW THY AUDIENCE.

The moral: Elderly audience? Work extra clean.
    Teen males: Sex and potty humor.
    Single adult women: Relationship humor and put-downs of men.

Regarding the results:

I gave Gulman's set a solid B; Ant's a C-minus.
    I agree with your entire assessment, navycake. Good job.

One suggestion for a challenge is for them to act on a 5 minute skit for a sitcom either created by them or by the producers performing with another group of actors. Judges would score their performance (acting, wittiness, delivery, funnyness, etc.). This way, you'll see if they are proper in a sitcom. I thought, last year, Rob Cantrell would have made the best performer in a sitcom. I wish he made it over Rich in the final 5.

+ Reply to Thread