+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 15 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 LastLast

Thread: 7/6 Show Discussion **Spoilers**

I loved the roast but cringed at some of the "blue" ones. Some I thought were over the top. Gary to me tried too hard. Alonzo did the best. I loved the old roasts when they used more humor and less overt vulgarity to get their points across.

As for the head -to -head, I was a little disappointed. I had really liked Ant's humor all along. I thought he did great last week in the tour bus. I didn't like his deviousness in the house, but that's a different story. I had never liked Gary and I was pleasantly surprised at the head -to -head-I thought he was funny.

As for in the house, I wish they would be more about the humor and less about alliances. That makes me lose respect for them.

FORT Fogey
    I thought Corey was too crass (during the Roast). A pit bull's afterbirth?
    That was just not funny at all. Corey is not a favorite of mine.

Quote Originally Posted by SunSawed
    What did the Pink Panther say after seeing the showdown?

Dead Ant, Dead Ant, Dead Ant Dead Ant Dead Ant Dead Ant DEAD ANT!
    You could actually win LCS with this one!!1

(really...very, very clever)
    Last edited by PIKATSSO; 07-07-2004 at 11:48 AM.
    My opinions may have changed, but not the fact that I am right.
    -- Ashleigh Brilliant

Quote Originally Posted by Dogbat
    Corey is not a favorite of mine.
    Ditto. I liked what he did in the laundromat, but what was he thinking during the tour bus bit with his crack about the guys (the bus was mostly women and a few couples) finding hookers on Hollywood Blvd.??!! He would've been better off pointing out the spot where Hugh Grant got caught with a hooker and almost >ahem< "blew" his acting career.

FORT Fogey
    As a tall person watching this show with his short mother and short father, Gary's joke about the milkman made me feel VERY uncomfortable...

Quote Originally Posted by dfleming2
    As a tall person watching this show with his short mother and short father, Gary's joke about the milkman made me feel VERY uncomfortable...
    Well, I hate to mention this, Fleming, but if both your parents have brown eyes and yours are blue and you ever had a milkman...
    My opinions may have changed, but not the fact that I am right.
    -- Ashleigh Brilliant

Quote Originally Posted by dfleming2
    Ditto for me the top of my dad's head is about at my eye level and my mom barely reaches my shoulder. But rest assured, our eyes are all variations of brown shades
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

FORT Fogey
    They didn't have milkmen in the small community my parents were living in in Northern Quebec at the time, and since my parents were the only white people up there, and I am white, I am pretty sure that my parents are really my parents.

In the words of Otis Day & the Knights...

...now waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaiit a minute!

1) Did anyone else notice how different the "re-run" of last week's episode (before this week's show) was to the ACTUAL broadcast of last week? I don't remember them showing "comedy lowlight" snippets last week of comedians who did not advance after the tryouts. And was it just me or did they edit out the great "kitchen utensils infomercial" and give us the Glass & Heffron "storming out of the room" silliness? Did they announce that this would have all new scenes or did someone in the infomercial business complain? (Conspiracy theories abound!)

2) Gary wanted to take out Ant because Todd was tricked? Todd wasn't tricked...he was targeted and then he lost a close showdown... Being tricked would be "hey, we're all going to vote against Alonzo, Todd"--"Hey Todd's the only one to vote against Alonzo!" Gary--that's a George W. move...if you want Ant out because you can't stand him, don't bother making up some weapons of mass destruction...just go get him. We might not agree but we'll respect you slightly more if you're honest about it.

3) Ant did new (or, at the very least, previously unseen by people watching this show) material--shouldn't that make most of the people on this message board happy?

4) People at a Friar's Club roast complaining about comics going too blue? My how times have changed. (I blame Ted Danson, personally.) Believe me, there are plenty of reasons why Gary and Corey thought they needed to get cruder to live up to the roast tradition...but that might be an East Coast thing.

5) Alonzo rocked the roast...he knew the format (hide your slams in the guise of praise) and he delivered the goods. Why is he siding with Tammy and Ant in the voting alliance?

6) Last year, the Coalition were the best comedians in the house trying to "regulate." This year the Alliance seemed to be the weaker comics in the house trying to puncture the balloons of strong comics around them. Except that the Alliance has Alonzo & Kathleen, who I think of as some of the stronger comics in the house... Hmmmmm...

7) Kathleen is a very strong comic who hasn't shined in the house or in any of the challenges yet. One thing I've noticed about her stand-up is that she almost "talks right through" her jokes. Her wording takes her so long from the "aha" to the final thought that you wait too long to laugh at it.

8) I loved the roast because it put their writing skills to the test... I wish there were more of these type of challenges. Next week? Kids. Oh, well.

9) The comment regarding "Ant's not a good stand-up, but he should be in show business" actually reminded me of something that made me bristle in the preliminary rounds--where the Leno judge guys said that they weren't just looking for a good stand-up, but someone who would be good in a sitcom. Well...those are very different skills...and I don't see anyone doing any "acting" challenges on this show... Next Sitcom Star anyone?

pg--seattle

PS--Still thinking about naked space sex vampires actually.
    PPS--Couldn't think of a tenth...and I like big round numbers.

Frankly, I'm amazed you sat through the re-run of last week's episode.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

+ Reply to Thread