+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: If YOU were in control...

If YOU were in control...

If it were up to me…

1. There would be more in-the-house clips.
    2. We would get to see every comic’s contest routine (at least a minute of each.)
    3. Would show more of the little “joke” clips from their routines.
    4. All “teasers” would be eliminated (e.g. no more showing comics going into the booth as a lead-in to the commercial.)
    5. We would not be subjected to Jay Mohr’s lame warm-up sets. (Don’t get me wrong, I like Jay Mohr, and wouldn’t mind him doing a warmup at the finale, but I don’t think we need for him to eat up so much time on the regular episodes.)
    6. I like the immunity idea (for winning a mini-contest) better than just a prize.
    7. Every episode would feature each comic in the house for at least 2-3 minutes besides the time they are doing the mini-contest or are in the “voting” booth. It bugs me that some of the participants are hardly seen at all.

So how would YOU change the format of the show?
    My opinions may have changed, but not the fact that I am right.
    -- Ashleigh Brilliant

PSi
    It's an hour long program, about 22 minutes of that are commercials. So how are you going to fit that all in ?

If i were in control, i would primer the audience with some of the comics routines and antics so they would know if a comedian only had a total of five jokes.

Quote Originally Posted by PIKATSSO
    If it were up to me…

2. We would get to see every comic’s contest routine (at least a minute of each.)
    4. All “teasers” would be eliminated (e.g. no more showing comics going into the booth as a lead-in to the commercial.)
    5. We would not be subjected to Jay Mohr’s lame warm-up sets. (Don’t get me wrong, I like Jay Mohr, and wouldn’t mind him doing a warmup at the finale, but I don’t think we need for him to eat up so much time on the regular episodes.)
    6. I like the immunity idea (for winning a mini-contest) better than just a prize.
    7. Every episode would feature each comic in the house for at least 2-3 minutes besides the time they are doing the mini-contest or are in the “voting” booth. It bugs me that some of the participants are hardly seen at all.
    I agree with everything in bold...the teasers are simply to keep people tuned, I don't mind them much, but I would definitely like to see more of the actual show! How the comics live with each other in the house! I know it's not a Real World kinda thing, but the interaction and chemistry b/w comics makes for good tv, even a few laughs!

The fact that only a select few are focused on throughout the series is the problem I have with the show. Last season we got to see all the comics, and actually had a chance to make some assumptions or comments about them. I hardly see Alonzo on the screen, which is a shame because the few times he's shown up have been quite entertaining to me.

As for immunity, the idea is good, but not if it keeps a weak comic in the house. Ant won immunity last week without using comedy at all. How does that qualify him to be exempt from the head to head? He didn't prove anything about his comedic ability. If immunity is to remain, it should have a basis of COMEDY that will actually show some of the comics' true talent.

Everything else I agree with, and one thing I would change in addition to that would be that the judges actually mean something in the next show...as Drew Carey mentioned, he wasn't there for his pretty face...although that's all NBC thought apparently...
    Shows I'm Watching: CSI, Survivor, Without a Trace, Third Watch, X-Play

If it were up to me…

I agree with basically everything you said. Expecially #5.

Quote Originally Posted by PSi
    It's an hour long program, about 22 minutes of that are commercials. So how are you going to fit that all in ?
    That's easy--I'd make the show 2 hours instead of 1!

Quote Originally Posted by PSi
    If i were in control, i would primer the audience with some of the comics routines and antics so they would know if a comedian only had a total of five jokes.
    They have been injecting little "bits" from some of the comics--I like that part.
    -- Ashleigh Brilliant

Quote Originally Posted by l_dogg
    I agree with everything in bold...the teasers are simply to keep people tuned, I don't mind them much, but I would definitely like to see more of the actual show! How the comics live with each other in the house! I know it's not a Real World kinda thing, but the interaction and chemistry b/w comics makes for good tv, even a few laughs!

The fact that only a select few are focused on throughout the series is the problem I have with the show. Last season we got to see all the comics, and actually had a chance to make some assumptions or comments about them. I hardly see Alonzo on the screen, which is a shame because the few times he's shown up have been quite entertaining to me.

As for immunity, the idea is good, but not if it keeps a weak comic in the house. Ant won immunity last week without using comedy at all. How does that qualify him to be exempt from the head to head? He didn't prove anything about his comedic ability. If immunity is to remain, it should have a basis of COMEDY that will actually show some of the comics' true talent.

Everything else I agree with, and one thing I would change in addition to that would be that the judges actually mean something in the next show...as Drew Carey mentioned, he wasn't there for his pretty face...although that's all NBC thought apparently...
    Well even last year there were a few of the comedians that were rarely seen in the house (i.e. Geoff, Rob) I would have liked to see more of them, and could have done with less of Dat Phan's Karate Kid imitations.(Okay,conversing with his invisible mother was mildly amusing...)

I thought Ant was actually quite funny in the clips we saw of him giving the tour--the Dolly Parton stuff was VERY funny, and it's difficult to keep up that improv stuff and keep it entertaining. What I didn't like was that they didn't just let each comedian do his/her thing and THEN vote, instead of the one-on-one format.

Yeah, a little less corruption in the "casting" process would be sincerely appreciated.
    -- Ashleigh Brilliant

The only time I thought Ant was funny was when he was tour guide. He did totally rock on that, and I'm glad no one cried BS while he was doing it.
    "Quotes on the internet may not be accurate." - Abraham Lincoln

PSi
    They have been injecting little "bits" from some of the comics--I like that part.

no, to the audience who's voting at the elimination. they don't know that tammy's not funny...

FORT Newbie
    There's a reason why some people get shown more in the house, and that is because they are simply being more entertaining. This isn't 10 Comics Get Equal Air Time. NBC is trying to put together the most entertaining possible show and since some comedians are more serious than others, they will get less air time.

Quote Originally Posted by DrMack
    There's a reason why some people get shown more in the house, and that is because they are simply being more entertaining. This isn't 10 Comics Get Equal Air Time. NBC is trying to put together the most entertaining possible show and since some comedians are more serious than others, they will get less air time.
    A point well taken, Doc. Yet, while I realize this is not The Real World, i think most of us actually enjoy the house scenes and watching the various contestants interacting with one another.

Certainly some people are going to be more entertaining than others, but I think that since the house is such an integral part of the show, ALL the contestants who made it into the house deserve a little air time--funny or not. Some people found Todd Glass to be extremely annoying; while others found him extremely funny. Some people found Tammy and Ant to be highly obnoxious' while others realized that the "drama" is highly exaggerated for effect and perhaps for more "on-camera" time.

I know last season I thought AT FIRST that the house stuff was going to be boring and annoying--but I actually found myself really enjoying that portion of the show, and wanting more, more, more...
    -- Ashleigh Brilliant

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast