+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: My Attendance at the 6/29 Taping

My Attendance at the 6/29 Taping

Hi there. As you can tell by the title of this thread, I actually went to the showdown between Tammy and Todd in March. It was kinda funny to watch it all again on TV now knowing something about their personalities and how their act tends to run... very different than when you just walk into the theater and watch the two sets.

Some things to say... I saw someone post that there were 100 people in the audience... it was actually probably closer to 300 people. On the show I only saw about half the theater... it is much bigger than it looked.

They tape the part where Jay Mohr says who the winner is before either comic does their set... so they taped one with Todd Glass winning and one with Tammy winning... then they later edit in the percentage of votes. They have us applaud either way, and since we hadn't seen them perform yet it was pretty equal. One thing I remember about that was that Todd jumped up and down when they taped him as the winner.

Before Jay Mohr came on they had another warm up comic whose style of comedy was pretty dang similar to Todd's... in fact some of the jokes were even on the same line. Maybe this hurt him, who knows?

They obviously didn't show the entirety of each comic's act. Tammy overall had funnier jokes than Todd, in my opinion, but Todd played a lot to the guys in the audience (they gave everyone in the audience free alcohol).

I see now how knowing about the comic definitely changes your view of the act. For instance, now after watching the show Tammy seems very unfunny to me, but she seemed pretty hilarious the night of taping when I had never heard those jokes before. Maybe this is how Dat Phan beat Dave Mordal?

Very interesting, Starrylea, thanks for your informative contribution.
    My opinions may have changed, but not the fact that I am right.
    -- Ashleigh Brilliant

lol kind of takes the suspense away and the normal reaction when they pre tape the celebration

Waiting..for the wolves Great Pyr's Avatar
    The Tammy and Todd showdown was close, and you were there...and I agree
    Tammy was funnier. Todd was probably off that night. It was a close call. Dat
    Phan was not in the same league as Dave Mordal. Just refer to the celebrity
    "TALENT SCOUTS" whose votes meant little or nothing. We are being manipulated
    but it's a trade off to be able to see stand up in prime time on network TV. It
    beats sit coms....every time!
    A terrible beauty is born

Quote Originally Posted by Great Pyr
    The Tammy and Todd showdown was close, and you were there...and I agree
    Tammy was funnier. Todd was probably off that night. It was a close call. Dat
    Phan was not in the same league as Dave Mordal. Just refer to the celebrity
    "TALENT SCOUTS" whose votes meant little or nothing. We are being manipulated
    but it's a trade off to be able to see stand up in prime time on network TV. It
    beats sit coms....every time!
    Although anyone who watched the show last season knows that Dave Mordal should have won the whole enchilada...after reading Starrylea's post, I can see how Dat Phan was able to win the head-to-head, although I was infuriated and devastated when it happened.

Phan had considerably more energy in his stage routine than Dave, and his material was very funny if seeing it for the first time. Plus, they were in the LA area, so he was on his own territory, so to speak. Dave would have been a Minnesota fish outta water. And by eye-witnessl accounts, Dat did put up a very strong fight and was very funny that night. Dave's laid-back manner and witty humor may just not have been as appealing to THAT CROWD, THAT NIGHT.

I really do appreciate Starrylea's contribution--it makes lots of things clearer to me.
    My opinions may have changed, but not the fact that I am right.
    -- Ashleigh Brilliant

Quote Originally Posted by starrylea
    They tape the part where Jay Mohr says who the winner is before either comic does their set... so they taped one with Todd Glass winning and one with Tammy winning... then they later edit in the percentage of votes. They have us applaud either way, and since we hadn't seen them perform yet it was pretty equal.
    Well, certainly, there's nothing suspicious about THAT.

This is NOT the usual way talent competition shows are taped. I think this is a result of what happened in Vegas when Drew Carey and Brett Butler made such a visible stink over the results. The producers were forced to deal with that, even though they put as positive a spin as they could on it.

To pre-tape "winner announcements" for both comics protects them from having to deal with a similar situation should the comic which they have already chosen to "lose" get a significantly larger percentage of the vote. Then the audience might boo and jeer and throw feces, which would not look very good on TV, of course. But no problem! Now they already have tricked the audience into cheering for a "potential" winner, and will just edit that tape into the show to make it appear as if the audience supports the final result.

If this show were any slimier I'd swear it was another ALIEN sequel.
    Okay, kids! Who wants Navy Cake?

Quote Originally Posted by navycake
    Then the audience might boo and jeer and throw feces, which would not look very good on TV, of course.
    Comedy club patrons are throwing feces these days?
    "I'm telling you - it's a madhouse out there. I feel like Charlton Heston waking up in the field and seeing the chimp on top of the pony." ~ Dennis Miller

Quote Originally Posted by Qboots
    Comedy club patrons are throwing feces these days?
    Oh, yes, it's quite brutal these days. It's why I quit doing stand-up seven years ago.
    Okay, kids! Who wants Navy Cake?

I found this article that provides some insight into the editing and selection process of LCS2: http://www.cringehumor.net/columns/062604_lcs2.htm

Warning before you read the article: there appears to be a spoiler at the end (about someone who makes the final 5).

Some highlights from the article:

This may be the answer as to why the results sequences are now filmed before the show...

Quote Originally Posted by cringehumor.net
    Let's start with the editing. In the NY regional finals, the tryouts spanned 2 nights. NBC creatively edited the two nights together to make it seem like one night. On the show, they kept looping a shot of Robert Kelly & Dov Davidoff (who wasn't shown performing at all) standing next to each other with impatient looks on their faces. The truth is that looped shot we saw was actually taken while Bob Read & Ross Mark were reading the instructions on what to do if a comedian was chosen on the 2nd & final night. What really happened was that comedian Kevin Brown was chosen last and was never seen until his set at The Hudson Theatre. Why would NBC cut out him being announced? Maybe because our beloved Robert Kelly cursed & shouted as soon as he found out he wasn't advancing. There is footage of this floating around the internet, but I have no clue where one can donwload it.
    Here's the link to the clip of Robert Kelly shouting out "what the f***" as the results are announced (it's towards the end of the video if you don't want to watch the whole thing): http://www.cringehumor.net/video/lcs2.mov

Regarding the manipulative editing to make a set look more or less funny...

Now I know that little bit of editing might seem insignificant, but here's another tale of how shady NBC is. At the quarterfinals filmed at the Hudson Theatre in NYC, everyone in attendance watched Sue Costello bomb horribly to complete silence. Yet on the final televised product, she received a good reaction from the crowd. The lovely Sharon Houston received a better reaction at the theatre than Costello did, but on TV she was shown going down in flames. After her set ended, Sharon, on camera, admitted it didn't go so well. "I think commenting on it was a mistake because that's what ended up being my storyline," says Houston in s statement sent to the site. "I wish they hadn't edited out every single punch line and made it look worse than it was. Then again, it was a true depiction of how a comic can have a great night one night and a shit one the next. And you have no choice but to keep on going, get back on stage, and let it go. Rick Kunkler also commented that he didn't have a good set so that became his storyline as well."

I guess Costello was something the producers had in mind, or she's connected with someone who is heavily involved with the show. NBC also edited Kerri Louise's set to make her come off much better than her performance. Maybe they were looking for a cutesy Mother of twins story line, even though her act is weaker than Nancy Reagan's posture.

Let's quickly move to the Vegas finals & talk about DC Benny. Everyone who's into the NYC comedy scene knows that DC is one of the top performers out there. DC & LCS 2 Executive Producer Barry Katz had a huge falling out years ago. If DC was still buddies with Barry, maybe it would have been edited to look like he killed.
    Surprise! Buck Star was a plant...

Read & Mark apparently also love creating characters for the "reality" show. Do you all remember the hideous Buck Star? He was the tool who went to every city of the regional tryouts whom Read & Mark ripped apart before he was able to finish his first joke. From what I hear, Buck Star is actually a Production Assistant that NBC used to film remotes. That's right! Buck didn't travel all over the country to try out, he was on the payroll doing his job! NBC wanted to create a William Hung type of character (the Dat Phan of American Idol) and decided Buck would be the perfect candidate. They gave Buck a bullshit angle with his father, a joke from Rich Vos, and when he was finally given stage time all he talked about was stalking Read & Mark.
    Why was LA resident Gulman auditioning in Boston?

Gary Gulman & Bert Kreischer both live & perform in Los Angeles, yet they were dispatched to other cities when it came to the regionals. Both men have Barry Katz as their agent. Jim Norton snuck into the Tampa regional, but he explained in his blog that he had a headlining gig in Dallas that conflicted with the NYC tryouts. I doubt that Gulman & Kreischer were headlining any clubs when the LA tryouts occurred. Looks like Katz sent them out to the weaker cities, also having Gulman perform in front of his hometown audience in Boston.
    And you thought Corey overreacted during that confrontation with Ant...

Corey Holcomb figured he would make it into the house by playing cruel practical jokes on the other competitors. One of his victims was Vladimir Khlynin, the 19 year old Russian kid who has been a comedian for just 8 months. From what I hear, Holcomb arranged a mugging of Vladimir a few blocks from the hotel where the comedians stayed. Vladimir was forced to run 5 blocks without his shoes in the freezing cold, waving down a cop for help. Vladimir was filmed the entire time during the robbery by NBC, unbeknownst to him. Holcomb realized he crossed the line and tried to make good. We all watched Corey embrace Khlynin after he was eliminated at the Hudson Theatre...now we know why.
    There's a few more juicy tidbits in the article, but just wanted to highlight these. This should keep the board buzzing in between shows. Rock and roll...

The fact that they tape the results before the show does not surprise me. It is an attempt to keep the info from leaking out. I also now find Todd's reaction very funny; I thought he looked shock, now I know he was just playing it up for the camera.

I read the article at Cringehumor. I find it very interesting, and disturbing, but at the end it does say:

"The above views should not reflect upon any of the comedians/performers mentioned. This is all information I have gathered over the past few weeks, and I myself have based theories upon them"

So we don't know where the writer got all this info, nor do we know what parts are his own theories.

It would just surprise me that that they could so blatantly cheat. There are federal laws governing game shows that this show falls under and I can't believe people would risk their livelihood. It is a good show, but it is not making anyone rich.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast