+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: My Attendance at the 6/29 Taping

Thanks for the info starrylea, very interesting!

Quote Originally Posted by CRINGE ARTICLE
    Since NBC has no interest in a performer's true comedic ability, then why not just cast their 10 "characters" instead of fabricating a nation wide competition? Do like MTV does with The Real World - have the wannabes send in tapes, or in a comedian's case, have their agents/managers lobby to get them on the show. Maybe have a competition where comedians vie for representation from Barry Katz, who will then put them on Last Comic Standing.
    My sentiments exactly...what's up with all the deception???? It's disturbing, it's irritating...most of all...IT'S UNNECESSARY!!! But then again, it's really anything BUT surprising. I'm pretty certain that every "Reality" show has more than its share of "dirt" to dig in.

It angers me because I LIKE the show, I WANT to watch the show, and (as I'm sure everyone on the FORT will attest to) I LIKE TO TALK ABOUT THIS SHOW. I would have liked the show without the stupid premise of finding "the funniest person in America." Why not just the funniest person on this season of LCS? I would still watch it if I knew that they had "hand-picked" every comedian and threw them into a house, made them perform in contests and head-to-head competitions, etc. etc....HECK! I already DO watch that.

Like the author of the article, I feel sorry for the guys (and girls) out there auditioning who thought they had a shot at the American Dream, when it was all smoke and mirrors. Maybe SOMEONE out there in TV land will get the idea that a REAL competition that is NOT FIXED could sell. They could still keep up their hoaxy show (yes, I'd still watch it. After all, these people generally are really good comedians, and they did reveal to me comics the caliber of Dave Mordal and Ralphie May.)

But, why not do a real comedy competition show like most of us on the FORT were anticipating (at least LAST season)? There are millions of funny people out there who are not headliners or managed by Barry Katz. Couldn't they give a legit show like that a try???

Thanks for your detective work, Addikted...I guess if we want "Reality TV," we have to face reality...
    Last edited by PIKATSSO; 07-01-2004 at 05:22 PM.
    My opinions may have changed, but not the fact that I am right.
    -- Ashleigh Brilliant

Premium Member Yeti Long Shot: Porpoheus Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by starrylea
    I see now how knowing about the comic definitely changes your view of the act. For instance, now after watching the show Tammy seems very unfunny to me, but she seemed pretty hilarious the night of taping when I had never heard those jokes before. Maybe this is how Dat Phan beat Dave Mordal?
    I think you really hit the nail on the head with that one. The LA judges were befuddled after seeing Dat Phan on the show. They admit he fooled them the first time - at the finals to get into the house. I thought he was funny the first ten or twelve times I heard those jokes, but after a dozen....mmm.....not so funny. Dat and Dave are at such opposite ends of the comedy spectrum, it's really hard to predict that outcome. Not that I'm biased or anything!

thinks he's so smart MyNameIsKenny's Avatar
    It isn't really too hard to find out how Dat Phan made it through: he's got really, really funny material. Ten minutes of it. Just enough to convince people at a short audition that he's good.
    Hot news just in -- Michael Jackson has a new album coming out. That's right, folks, it's called [pedophilia joke].

thinks he's so smart MyNameIsKenny's Avatar
    To pre-tape "winner announcements" for both comics protects them from having to deal with a similar situation should the comic which they have already chosen to "lose" get a significantly larger percentage of the vote. Then the audience might boo and jeer and throw feces, which would not look very good on TV, of course. But no problem! Now they already have tricked the audience into cheering for a "potential" winner, and will just edit that tape into the show to make it appear as if the audience supports the final result.
    I'm pretty sure this is just standard policy regarding reality shows to prevent the winner from being known. The Apprentice pre-taped all the contestants taking the long walk to the cab well in advance as well.
    Hot news just in -- Michael Jackson has a new album coming out. That's right, folks, it's called [pedophilia joke].

that kind of sucks. now it makes me think twice about all types of competitive/+reality shows. i mean like American Idol. They could do the same then just play the winner with most votes. although i thought about this all the time.
    did they make you sign any contract too. too bad you didn't tell us in March. and did they have a different audience each time?

FORT Newbie
    Why was LA resident Gulman auditioning in Boston?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by cringehumor.net
    Gary Gulman & Bert Kreischer both live & perform in Los Angeles, yet they were dispatched to other cities when it came to the regionals. Both men have Barry Katz as their agent. Jim Norton snuck into the Tampa regional, but he explained in his blog that he had a headlining gig in Dallas that conflicted with the NYC tryouts. I doubt that Gulman & Kreischer were headlining any clubs when the LA tryouts occurred. Looks like Katz sent them out to the weaker cities, also having Gulman perform in front of his hometown audience in Boston.

Smart gameplay too improve chances by going to an easier regional. (U DumbAss)

FORT Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by starrylea
    They tape the part where Jay Mohr says who the winner is before either comic does their set... so they taped one with Todd Glass winning and one with Tammy winning... then they later edit in the percentage of votes. They have us applaud either way, and since we hadn't seen them perform yet it was pretty equal. One thing I remember about that was that Todd jumped up and down when they taped him as the winner.
    I watched for this on the repeat episode last night, and when they declared the winner, they showed a side shot with Todd and Tammy in the picture, and you could clearly see Jay Mohr say "55%". I'm not understanding how they edited it in later.

Quote Originally Posted by johnny pizzaz
    I watched for this on the repeat episode last night, and when they declared the winner, they showed a side shot with Todd and Tammy in the picture, and you could clearly see Jay Mohr say "55%". I'm not understanding how they edited it in later.
    That caught my attention too. I can understand them filming the 'results' at the beginning, in order to maintain secrecy, but I had forgotten about Jay always giving the percentage. So I thought maybe they had him say that after the audience had left, but you can see heads in the audience also, so I don't know quite how they do it.

Welcome to the FORT by the way!
    "I'm telling you - it's a madhouse out there. I feel like Charlton Heston waking up in the field and seeing the chimp on top of the pony." ~ Dennis Miller

Quote Originally Posted by Qboots
    That caught my attention too. I can understand them filming the 'results' at the beginning, in order to maintain secrecy, but I had forgotten about Jay always giving the percentage. So I thought maybe they had him say that after the audience had left, but you can see heads in the audience also, so I don't know quite how they do it.
    Jay says the percentage. Then they cut it and paste in whoever had the most from the beginning shot. Hope that made sense......

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast