+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Material

FORT Fogey

Material

So what's the rule on a comic's material? Tammy Pescatelli just keeps telling the same jokes over and over and over. I found them funny the first time, amusing the second and wanted her to quit it by the third time. If I hear that twin Joe Peschis thing again ...

Anyway, do you think it's an advantage or disadvantage to use the same material over and over on this show? In one sense, it's proven stuff they know will get a laugh. They also may pick and choose their best jokes for other comics they see as more of a challenge.

On the other hand, some of those people in the audience have to go and see a few shows--wouldn't they be more inclined to vote for a "fresh" comic? And when "America" votes, won't we all be bored with seeing the same routines again and again?

How many of these comics have the chops to write consistently funny new stuff week after week?

FORT Newbie
    all the head to head competitions were filmed months before. Way before anybody in the audience had a chance to see anyone's act from the show.
    Therefore to the people voting in the head-to-head, all the comics acts were new and fresh.

The only time they should do something different is for the final competition when the audience has a chance to call in. Then their material would lose it's luster since it's been repeated so often, but in the meantime, it's best to use you best material each time since the audience has never seen/heard it before.

FORT Fogey
    But what I'm saying is, many of those people in the live audience during the competitions--the ones who vote every show--have to be locals. Given that premise, I'll bet that many go to see more than one comic standoff. If they see the same routine twice, they may find it less funny.

I really hope that we don't see the same routines ad infinitim. That would give me much less of a reason to watch the actual competition each week.

Quote Originally Posted by ChicagoViewer
    But what I'm saying is, many of those people in the live audience during the competitions--the ones who vote every show--have to be locals. Given that premise, I'll bet that many go to see more than one comic standoff. If they see the same routine twice, they may find it less funny.

I really hope that we don't see the same routines ad infinitim. That would give me much less of a reason to watch the actual competition each week.
    First of all: Fellow Chi-towner!

I agree that if it IS the same or pratically the same audience and they see the same routine a second (or 3rd or 4th) time, they would be inclined to find it less funny. But a) we don't know that any of the audience is the same at all...and b) the head-to-head comics have NO chance of competing again once they lose, and aren't necessarily going to be challenged again within the few remaining weeks if they win the head-to-head,
    My opinions may have changed, but not the fact that I am right.
    -- Ashleigh Brilliant

FORT Regular
    if the jokes/delivery/comedian are funny enough, it doesn't matter how many times they do a joke, it'll be funny every time (arj barker and brent weinbach). the jokes on lcs just aren't funny enough or tv isn't an adequate medium to express how funny it is. sometimes things are funnier just because you're there.

FORT Fogey
    Quote Originally Posted by Morphiend
    if the jokes/delivery/comedian are funny enough, it doesn't matter how many times they do a joke, it'll be funny every time (arj barker and brent weinbach). the jokes on lcs just aren't funny enough or tv isn't an adequate medium to express how funny it is. sometimes things are funnier just because you're there.
    I agree that you can see different aspects of a joke that make you laugh different ways, but none of these comics have the ability to make me laugh at the same joke more than twice.

Also, the "funnier because you are there" thing rings true to me--I can sit through almost any sporting event if I'm there in the stadium, but often can't stand watching them on TV.

I didn't see the first season of LCS, so I have no idea what to expect. Just expressing my disappointment that they're not FORCED to come up with new material every time they go on stage. I think we'd see a whole different caliber of comedian if that were the case.

I think they should have to come up with new material every time they are challenged. Consider us, the tv audience, and how boring it is to hear the same thing over and over ... !
    Once they've hit the house, all new stuff. Anyone in charge listening ??? Anyone ??
    "Quotes on the internet may not be accurate." - Abraham Lincoln

PSi
    Ok, remember, she did the jokes in NY, Vegas, and now LA. 3 different cities, 3 different crowds. First time we hear these things, they're funny, then they lose it because we see it week in and week out. That's the good and the bad of it.

FORT Fogey
    Typically a comic develops an act and takes it on the road. They use the same material in every city. Their sets are at least 20 minutes, if not longer, I would think. So these comics have at LEAST 30 mintues of material to use or certainly should. It is time for them to realize that the viewing audience will eventually vote and they have watched the show from the beginning and seen the skating Amish and the San Fransisco accent and........................... ........

yeah if you ahve gone from town to town to hear an act alot of it is the same. Watch Jerry Seinfelds Comedian DVD you see him a very talented stand up guy going from town to town using a lot of the same material.

I dont mind it but I think it may have an affect when we decide who will be the Last Comic Standing. Although it didnt hurt Day Phan. I dont think it is THAT big of a deal, but Ido like hearnine new stuff as a fan, but I understand.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast