+ Reply to Thread
Page 19 of 22 FirstFirst ... 910111213141516171819202122 LastLast

Thread: 6/29 Show Discussion **Spoilers**

[QUOTE=BobDobolina]But that's exactly why he used the term. This is the impression of the conversation that I got. Glass used the term "fag" or its equivalent at some point. Ant heard that, blew a gasket and tried to tell Glass that that word was a hateful, derogatory term that he shouldn't use. In support of that argument, he made the analogy to the n word. Why? Because it's a word that everyone agrees is a hateful, derogatory term that should never be used. If he can convince him that it's similar, he made his point.

Personally, that's why I thought Alonza didn't get mad. [QUOTE]

What got me in the editing is that Ant was made out to be the bad guy - Glass started it. Holcomb seems to be a homophobe so he can't see the connection between the words and that's why he went off - he was probably outraged that someone would compare being black to being gay let alone the terms. Why didn't someone tell Glass to apologize to Ant?

FORT Fogey
    Quote Originally Posted by famita
    well all I know is I'm looking forward to some fun in the house. I imagine Ant and Corey taking a bubble bath together, smoking some fat cigars, then, as one, turning to look at the camera with surprise and horror showing on their faces while Corey scrambles out of the bathtub. Talk about shock value. We need to have either more humor or more shock coming into/from the house. I know we're not supposed to bring up last year, but I'm waiting for Ralphie to come out and play!

Better yet, how about Ant and Jay London in the tub together and it's Ant who's full of shock and horror and scrambles out of the tub...

FORT Fogey
    I didnt think Todd was at his best Tuesday night and Tammy just isn't that good.

Jon is respected by all of them anyway and they know he is tough competition. I doubt he will be challenged again. That puts him in the final 5 automatically. He has nothing to worry about.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrealle
    As a member of the African American people, Ant should not have been crying. I am so tired of Homosexuals trying to say that when you call them a name, it is just like being called the word. Unless you look and act exactly like Ant, a homosexual cannot compare to being Black. He can turn it off and on, as needed to fit in.
    I totally agree with you! What I guess some people still don't realize yet is that calling a homesexual the "F" word, in know way compairs to calling an African American the "N" word. It is an insult to AA's, our heritage and MOST OF ALL our Ancestors! The homosexual community does have its cross to bare, but it shouldn't be compared to the plight of African Americans.

FORT Fogey
    I think Ant might have been crying about having the confrontation and what it would mean for his relationships in the house. Just general upset over the tension he caused and the anger from Corey. I doubt he was in tears over having been called a faggot.

I agree that the comparison is not equal and it was a poor example for him to use to get his point across that faggot is derogitory and hateful toward homosexuals. He reacted quickly without thinking. He could have educated Todd (I think said it) in a better way. He got a button pushed and spoke before he had time to think.

I am not a fan of Ant but I do cut him slack for that.

I think it's very telling, indeed, that people have no problem typing in f****t but are very careful to refer to Ant's slur as the "n" word. My NBC affiliate bleeped BOTH words. Frankly, I find them to be equally offensive, and I wouldn't use them in a joke, as Todd apparently did, or as an example of what NOT to say, as Ant did.

Having said that, both Ant and Corey could have gotten the message across that they didn't care for those labels without Ant running off at the mouth and Corey acting like a schoolyard bully. JMO.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

FORT Fogey
    I agree AJane and you make a good point that we freely type f****t and not the n word. Probably an illustration of the inequality of the terms at this point in our history. I too find them both equally offensive as well. I stand corrected. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Dogbat
    I think Ant might have been crying about having the confrontation and what it would mean for his relationships in the house. Just general upset over the tension he caused and the anger from Corey. I doubt he was in tears over having been called a faggot.

I agree that the comparison is not equal and it was a poor example for him to use to get his point across that faggot is derogitory and hateful toward homosexuals. He reacted quickly without thinking. He could have educated Todd (I think said it) in a better way. He got a button pushed and spoke before he had time to think.

I am not a fan of Ant but I do cut him slack for that.
    I think Ant could easily have made his point without actually saying the word. It just shows that he was looking for trouble.

What did you say, Simon? krstlfethr's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by awlshucks
    I totally agree with you! What I guess some people still don't realize yet is that calling a homesexual the "F" word, in know way compairs to calling an African American the "N" word. It is an insult to AA's, our heritage and MOST OF ALL our Ancestors! The homosexual community does have its cross to bare, but it shouldn't be compared to the plight of African Americans.
    What really is the point of playing "Who is the Most Oppressed?"?
    "[t]he soul is the effect and instrument of political anatomy: the soul is the prison of the body."
    -Foucault

FORT Fogey
    Quote Originally Posted by krstlfethr
    What really is the point of playing "Who is the Most Oppressed?"?

And I guess the point should be made that Ant felt he shouldn't have used the word, and Corey felt he shouldn't have over-reacted the way he did.

+ Reply to Thread