+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Tammy Pescatelli, Contestant

Quote Originally Posted by Krom
    Okay, in honor of her attitude and demeanor, I vote we refer to her as Tammy Pissedcatelli from now on.
    Now THAT's funny, Krom!

Well c'mon, Tammy didn't seem to be Miss Clean Mouth 2004 either. In fact, she directed her words AT someone, not just to a room in general.
    Krom, you have to understand that I do not turn ten shades of pale if someone uses vulgarities...one of the funniest routines I have ever heard is on the usage of the word "F...".

Tammy was not on stage when directing her derogatory remarks at St. Bonnie--it wasn't part of her comedy act...probably just a house "act" to a large degree.

Well this really highlights a difference in upbringing or something. I was taught to not rant and curse at someone unless I had pretty good cause. At the same time, my parents didn't want me to be unworldly, so they never really thought it was a big deal for me to HEAR the words on TV, and they explained that in real life you just don't DO that in a situation where someone's feelings or public sense of "face" is involved. I mean even if you REALLY hate that person, it's pretty bad to swear at them to their face--especially in a room full of other people. So George Carlin never concerned them much, and I doubt Bonnie McFarlane would have either. It's just a word and no emotions are involved. But cutting someone down in a way that publically challenged and probably embarassed them? That was considered tasteless at best and cruel at worst--at least the blunt force approach versus something more subtle. Putting people down with humor was far more tolerated, although I suppose that depended at least in part on how well we THOUGHT the person should be able to defend themselves.

This seems versus the position you at least SEEM to be suggesting, which is that bleeped on TV, curse words are tasteless and inappropriate, but face-to-face there seems to be ample justification for them.

Sorry, I don't think we are going to meet on this one. We seem too far apart.
    Last edited by Krom; 06-23-2004 at 08:20 PM.

"You don't rehearse Mr. T, you just turn him loose."
    -----Sylvester Stallone, on Mr. T-----

Well this really highlights a difference in upbringing or something.
    Shame on you, Krom...you are forcing me to fess up to my Italian heritage!

Oooh boy...I am NOT trying to start any kind of trouble here...REALLY...but in one of Tammy's routines she explained all this pretty well..."We tell it like it is..."

This seems versus the position you at least SEEM to be suggesting, which is that bleeped on TV, curse words are tasteless and inappropriate, but face-to-face there seems to be ample justification for them.

Sorry, I don't think we are going to meet on this one. We seem too far apart.
    There are curse words and there are curse words, Krom, and some are just more socially acceptable than others. I think you have to own up to at least that . The one used by St. Bonnie in her televised routine is still pretty taboo in most circles. And yes, she said it for shock value (by her own admittance she did it "to stand out"). And yes, it worked. There were other bleeps in other people's routines which did not stir up the same kind of controversey IMHO not because of a double standard, but because they just do not generate that same shock value.

I don't think curse words per se are tastesless and inappropriate if they're bleeped on TV and amply justified [when used] face-to-face. I don't condone name-calling and back-stabbing. I don't recall suggesting any such thing on a serious note.

I do think we did not see enough of the "in the house" footage to really judge whether or not Tammy was over(re)acting or not...we saw what the editors/producers wanted us to see (hear)...

[
    I do think we did not see enough of the "in the house" footage to really judge whether or not Tammy was over(re)acting or not...we saw what the editors/producers wanted us to see (hear)...[/QUOTE]
    Do you honestly think that if there were some bigger incident than Bonnie's snarky comment that we wouldn't have seen it?
    That whole "you kill the person around the person" thing made me laugh too - basing your LCS strategy on the mafia "hmmmm comedy contest where the exposure will do me good and an illegal business where killing one's opponents is the norm? I think I WILL use the same stategy!" And oh how I laughed at Tammy the Puppetmaster - didn't she have Ant do the dirty work of talking to people?
    (frankly, except for Tammy, I think most of them are funnier than Bonnie so voila.)

I think it's odd that she says "So, I have these two twin uncles."
    Uh...TWO TWIN is redundant!
    Twin means two.

Quote Originally Posted by PIKATSSO
    I do think we did not see enough of the "in the house" footage to really judge whether or not Tammy was over(re)acting or not...we saw what the editors/producers wanted us to see (hear)...
    Quote Originally Posted by duplessis3
    Do you honestly think that if there were some bigger incident than Bonnie's snarky comment that we wouldn't have seen it?
    Again, I think we see and hear what they want us to see and hear...they can make us like someone or hate them just through the editing.

Suppose they edited out ALL the footage of Todd Glass acting like a kid who just downed a gallon or two of Moosetracks ice cream and all we ever saw were a few glimpses of him during his quieter moments (definitely not when he was sleeping though! )? It's not like there is a 24/7 spy cam on each of them for us to see--so we are privy to only a very small fraction of the action. Who knows what never gets "caught on tape" at all besides the comics themselves?
    Last edited by PIKATSSO; 06-24-2004 at 05:01 AM.

Yeah, Tammy’s kind of whiny and foul-mouthed and comes off rather diabolical in the “off-stage” clips, but her stage act is funny…I loved her “Hey, girlie, c’mere…” bit on Kobe B and the phone call to her Sicilian grandfather. I guess it all boils down to a matter of taste and preference. And that is fine, and certainly it is one’s prerogative to prefer one comedic style over another.

But because there seems suddenly to be such disdain for Tammy, I just want to mention something I feel needs to be addressed:

Unlike Bonnie’s use of the “C” word solely for major shock value during her stage act, Tammy’s foul language (though pretty rough) was used in the way most people might use the term “spoiled brat” or “punk." i.e. specifically directed at someone at whom she was (for whatever reason) pissed at the moment, and with about as much hurtful or evil intent (which is to say, she didn't mean it nearly as viciously as most people seem to think.)

I cannot speak for everyone of Italian heritage, but the Italian half of my family does tend to employ expletives with relative regularity as part of almost any conversation--more often than not, even as a compliment or congratulatory term of endearment (as in “You sonuvab*…you’re finally getting married!!!). Right or wrong – many of these “swear words” are used so casually and so often as to have become rather impotent among those using them. It may not be very classy or admirable, but it’s true. And I’m quite certain this linguistic behavior is not exclusive to Italians.
    Last edited by PIKATSSO; 06-26-2004 at 05:30 PM.
    My opinions may have changed, but not the fact that I am right.
    -- Ashleigh Brilliant

I don't really think Tammy used any of her expletives as a term of endearment towards Bonnie. She was angry at her when she said what she said, which is fine, but from what we saw, there was not enough reason for Tammy to be THAT angry. If there was more to what we saw, well I really can't judge that because I was only shown what the NBC executives wanted me to see. So, I have to base my opinion on what I did see. And my opinion is that Tammy over-reacted. I do like Bonnie, so I may be a little biased, but I did like Tammy before the first episode in the house aired, so who knows.
    "Alcohol: the cause of and solution to all of life's problem's"

+ Reply to Thread