+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Bonnie McFarlane, Contestant

It ain't easy being green Wayner's Avatar
    Pikatsso, I don't remember her exact comments about Ms. Louise. I seem to remember her saying that she felt Louise gave female comics a bad name or something, and that she wasn't funny. Personally, the fact that Louise revealed that her husband writes most of her jokes sort of legitimized Bonnie's comments in my eyes. At least the comments I remember.

I thought that what she said about Louise was a little weird, but I too lost some respect for Louise when I heard her husband wrote much of her act. Bonnie's more complex than people gave her credit for---she seems to be torn about whether to haet other women or to stand up for some sort of female pride (not in a feminist way, but in a striong way nevertheless.) I have no issue with her dislike of Tammy, because Tammy was much more of a jerk than Bonnie, and any time a woman calls another woman a bitch and a whore like Tammy did, it's what I think of as self-destructive behavior--putting down yourself for being part of a sex in the process of putting down another person. Tammy's full of some weird kind of hatrd that disturbs me.

anyway, Bonnie's presence in the house from here on in would have been a lot more interesting than what we have left.

Quote Originally Posted by mk_butterfly
    Listen, Bonnie is the kind of girl that men love and that most women don't like. Probably the only people defending her are men -- seriously. .

Well I'm female and I have been defending Bonnie. I don't know about everyone else though. I like her comedy way more than Tammy's or Kathleen's but comedy is so subjective, you never know what could happen when two people go up against each other.
    "Alcohol: the cause of and solution to all of life's problem's"

Quote Originally Posted by Wayner
    Pikatsso, I don't remember her exact comments about Ms. Louise. I seem to remember her saying that she felt Louise gave female comics a bad name or something, and that she wasn't funny. Personally, the fact that Louise revealed that her husband writes most of her jokes sort of legitimized Bonnie's comments in my eyes. At least the comments I remember.
    I think such remarks, announced to the Reality TV World by a fellow comic, are aiming straight for the heart, Wayner. Easier to shrug off various vulgarisms for a female dog or a tramp. Some women--and you may have to just trust me on this—actually take those kinds of remarks as flattering in a perverted sort of way—the same way some men take pride in being called a male chauvinist pig.

I'm the first one to admit that I'm not the brightest penny in the piggy bank…and perhaps Bonnie was only being playful. Or maybe it was all part of her plot to sabotage herself? Maybe I missed some clue that this was meant as droll wit. Or maybe I missed Kerri Louise giving St. Bonnie some reason—any reason whatever—to warrant such disdainful condescension with regard to Kerri's professional pride. I don't know…maybe it's just me.

I would think that since we don't (or at least I don't) know which of Kerri's jokes were written by Tom and which were not, we really can't say that this "legitimizes" Bonnie's remarks. In addition, I found Kerri's timing and delivery to be quite good.

I have read SO many posts suggesting how gracefully St. Bonnie accepted defeat. Such a classy lady. But I saw no evidence of "class" whatever during the episode where she bad-mouthed Kerri L. and went on to demonstrate a real crass…I mean, class act.
    Last edited by PIKATSSO; 06-24-2004 at 04:58 PM.

I'm coming more and more to the conclusion that Bonnie may have known Kerry Louise before this show, and that she probably didn't know Tammy. Earlier I thought she might have, but it computes less the more I think about the fact that she didn't even seem to be partularly aware that Tammy was the center of those gunning for her (although she obviously realized somehow that Ant and Tammy were co-ringleaders after that vote, since they got the biggest disses).

That said, she's far from a saint--I don't think that's ever a valid comment about a woman who sleeps around that much. But neither did she seem to be unreasonable.

"You don't rehearse Mr. T, you just turn him loose."
    -----Sylvester Stallone, on Mr. T-----

Quote Originally Posted by chowderr
    Well I'm female and I have been defending Bonnie. I don't know about everyone else though. I like her comedy way more than Tammy's or Kathleen's but comedy is so subjective, you never know what could happen when two people go up against each other.
    i feel the same way

I am glad she is gone. That whole "c" word debacle really turned me off of her. I never warmed up to her and didn't find her funny at all.
    He who laughs last thinks slowest

#oldmanbeatdown - Donny BB16

Quote Originally Posted by Krom
    I'm coming more and more to the conclusion that Bonnie may have known Kerry Louise before this show, and that she probably didn't know Tammy. Earlier I thought she might have, but it computes less the more I think about the fact that she didn't even seem to be partularly aware that Tammy was the center of those gunning for her (although she obviously realized somehow that Ant and Tammy were co-ringleaders after that vote, since they got the biggest disses).

That said, she's far from a saint--I don't think that's ever a valid comment about a woman who sleeps around that much. But neither did she seem to be unreasonable.
    I have to disagree with you on this one, Krom. I'm really not positive (because the episode has been deleted from my TIVO), but I'm pretty certain that at one point during the earlier competition show someone made a disparaging remark about Bonnie, it was Tammy who shrugged it off good-naturedly with a shake of her head and remarked: "That's just Bonnie!". This would lead me to believe that they did indeed know one another before the show. Besides, I think it is pretty reasonable to assume that comedians of this caliber and relative longevity have crossed paths somewhere along the way and are well aware of the competition out there. This is, after all, their "thing." And it's not as if either Tammy or Bonnie was a struggling "unknown" novice before this show.

As regards the comics who were voted into the house, I would surmise that they're all more or less friends on at least a casual level. They all seem to know one another. And for all the flack Tammy has been given over her "evil" ministrations and "potty-mouth" remarks towards Bonnie, I, for one, believe that all the hostility, etc., etc., is largely exaggerated for dramatic effect--both by the comedians themselves and by the way the house scenes are edited. Sure there's a lot at stake here (I mean look at all the fame and fortune Dat Phan has amassed as winner of last year's show.) I'm sure Dat's doing okay, but the REAL winner (at least judging by this forum and my own personal preference) was Dave Mordal. Still...there's really no argument that the exposure they were getting was the true "perk" to being on the show for all who participated.

I guess maybe I rip more on Bonnie than Tammy because, if you take away all the exaggerated theatrics, I just relate more to Tammy's comedic exaggerations of her Italian family than to Bonnie's "c"utting-edge humor about being slapped in the face with boobs during a lap dance she commissioned at a strip club.

A little excerpt from the RNS news article (see link under NavyCake's Post #174 under 6/22 Show **Spoilers**):
    Bonnie McFarland: We were wondering what part of her set they would show, since she was seriously profane throughout. She obviously did the "C-word" for shock value only and not for comedic value. It was embarrassing all around, as they were quite a few older people in the audience. Some of the mass exodus out of the theater occurred during her set.

Based on the first ten shown on the program, our group agreed with all of the picks EXCEPT for Bonnie McFarland. We all were in agreement that Dan Ahdoot should have rightfully had that spot.

"Edgy"...I guess so! A woman of CLASS? While I did NOT write the above, I rest my case.
    My opinions may have changed, but not the fact that I am right.
    -- Ashleigh Brilliant

Quote Originally Posted by pudman13
    anyway, Bonnie's presence in the house from here on in would have been a lot more interesting than what we have left.
    I believe that was the main (if not ONLY) reason she made it into the house; she would be able to stir things up by her very presence alone. I'm not sure she would have added much humor or playfulness (at least not in the kind of "playfulness" I am referring to...I'm sure she would have "played" the men quite well), but definitely would have added to the melodramatics. And I have to agree, Pudman...it will be duller without her.
    My opinions may have changed, but not the fact that I am right.
    -- Ashleigh Brilliant

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast