+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Kathleen Madigan, Contestant

FORT Fan
    Quote Originally Posted by Fort2itous
    First, I loved that she was an "equal opportunity" ethnic "jokester"-there was not one ethnic, religiious, etc. population, that she could not find humour in, and in her humour, one realized she was really commenting on the insanity of all bigotry, and the just plain funny aspects within all cultures. I also love the fact that there is not one misogynist (even Tammy makes these kinds of jokes) or sexist (towards males or females) joke/s in her repretoire-no use of slut, "ho" etc. I am not a prude by any means, but I am so weary of people using lazy language to get across "comedy" and somehow, as I get older, more offended by what I feel, even if "funny" sometimes, are jokes that perpetuate cultural norms in subtle ways (sometimes not so subtle) and we just laugh, laugh, laugh, not realizing that maybe there is a whole, new refreshing way to do this. I understand that Corey, and some others who were the worst offenders in this vein were sometimes trying to make a point by doing this, but I fear this goes over the head of many people watching.

Well, just my two cents. At this point, I don't much care who wins. Gary just is not funny enough for me, though pleasant. I guess I would have to give my vote to A., who for the most part has seemed to get better over time, and more refined. But I miss KATHLEEN!!! And I Really did love Jay's brand of humour, though he tended to recycle the same schtick over and over-he stil would have been a second choice.
    i think if kathleen would have been more active or vocal in the house or challenges, she would have had a head start on the fan base before the finals. i like her, and would have been happy to see her come in second, behind heffron...

so, you don't like bigotry, sexist, lazy comedy.....
    but alonzo constantly pumping out old racist jokes is amusing and refreshing?

FORT Fan
    [QUOTE=jer2911]i think if kathleen would have been more active or vocal in the house or challenges, she would have had a head start on the fan base before the finals. i like her, and would have been happy to see her come in second, behind heffron...QUOTE]

But, but, but...please keep in mind that Kathleen had NO CONTROL over how her participation in the house & challenges was edited. Maybe she WAS active and vocal, and we just didn't see it.

It's no secret that Kathleen is a talented professional, highly respected by the others. I mean, would you want to compete in a slam-dunk contest against Kobe Bryant? My sense of the other comedians is that this is how they felt about Kathleen's level of experience.

I'm sorry she's gone from the competition, too. I don't think she had her best set Tuesday night. But I voted for her anyway because I already knew how good she *could* be based on past performances.

FORT Fan
    one way of looking at it -
    kathleen didn't get much exposure in the house, either because she didn't do or say much worth airing, or because of editing all of her hilarious antics out....so she was handicapped at the finals because she didn't build up a fan base beforehand

other way of looking at it -
    since she didn't get much exposure from the house,
    kathleen should have come out with her 'a' material in the finals and blown everyone away, since they had all burned up some of their 'a' material to stick around
    tammy got exposure in the house, and she probably lost the finals because people didn't like the way she was too much like ant, manipulating people are coming across as less than sweet....she obviously figured this out and tried to kiss up to the fans at home during the finals

so, no exposure for kathleen could have been bad or it could have helped her out, depending on how you look at it

Kathleen robbed??

In another chat group that shall remain namelss, a bunch of people, some of them comedians, are ranting and raving about how Kathleen got robbed and how they think the show is rigged. What do people here think of this? Frankly, I just don't see it. It doesn't matter who has the most successful career; in this case I just didn't think she showed herself to be one of the three funniest. Maybe she can be over the long term, but not from what we saw. Also, for someone as successful as she has been, I found her tics (laughing at her own jokes, interrupting herself to say thank you) distracting. I did find some of her act funny, and totally appreciate her clean, friendly style of humor, but I really don't buy into any theory that she lost because the show was rigged or because the voters are sexist. Personally, I don't think Gary is one of the three funniest, but I'm not sure I thought she was either...

I think Kathleen is hilarious but it hurt her in the show that she never performed in any head to head competitions. She flew below the radar and never got much exposure, I think in the end that is what hurt her. I have seen her act many time and she is very funny, but didn't get a following.

Quote Originally Posted by Clipse
    I think Kathleen is hilarious but it hurt her in the show that she never performed in any head to head competitions. She flew below the radar and never got much exposure, I think in the end that is what hurt her. I have seen her act many time and she is very funny, but didn't get a following.
    I agree, Clipse.
    We barely saw Kathleen perform, she didn't build a large enough fan base as the likes of Gary and John because people didn't get to see her perform.
    "That's Numberwang!"

FORT Fan
    i know she has been around for a while......
    and someone said they didn't even air her best bits from making it to the house....
    so how could she not put better material together for the finals????

really....i know i've heard people do the whole fish/alien abduction scenario....
    kind of irritating how she laughs at her own jokes....
    i kinda like her overall, but her monotonous delivery gets old quick

/voting for heffron because i'm tired of alonzo's racist jokes

Quote Originally Posted by Blackbeard
    To win the election the day before the election Kerry needs to have a commercial...

All he has to say is that if he isn't elected we are taking away your Ketchup!

Keith S. :{)>
    Oh, I loved that joke! She was my pick to win it all, but I`m still glad that John did. He is very funny too.
    Fan of: American Idol: Ruben Studdard George Huff Diana DeGarmo Kelly Clarkson Fantasia Barrino LaToya London

Rooting for: Survivor Vanuatu: Ami, Julie, and Chris (I miss Dolly and Rory!)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345